PDA

View Full Version : New kid trying to take over my area

johnnyusa
04-08-2005, 08:28 AM
I had a kid in the neighborhood, who's parents got divorced a few yrs ago trying to get a lawn service going part time ( he's goin to college) I was busy in the fall so I let him do 4 leave cleanups and he got paid the full price.I knew he was looking for more cust. so i told him before i gave him the work not to give any fliers out to my customers and he said i would never, next thing I hear he"s dropping off fliers ( right next door to the new people moving in the same day ) in the same neighborhood Ive been cutting for yrs.and is gonna be cutting a few lawns where houses were just sold by giving them super low bids. Should I say something to the kid. hes 19yrs. old this is something I wouln"t have done.

Charles
04-08-2005, 08:41 AM
"My Area" doesn't exist in the lawncare world. Its the area you service.
I just wouldn't send him anymore business. Thats about all you can do

marko
04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Not much you can do except hope that your quality and longevity in the area speaks for itself. If he did not approach your customers (from your post I got that he did not), thats business. It sucks but there always seems to be someone trying to do it for a buck cheaper.

Leone LawnCare
04-08-2005, 08:44 AM
you know i was wasnt going to reply but then i thought this persons opinion isnt justified. I am 19, i have been cutting lawns since i was 12. Now this year i have 80 lawn customers. Next year i will have around 225 because im buying someone out. Now why should age be a factor in why this "kid irritates you" trust me there is 15 different companys that pass out flyers in my neighborhoods but i know i do good work and communicate regularly with my customers. I dont worry. If your worried then i would take a serious look in the mirror and ask yourself how and why he is taking your customers and why they arent loyal to you. And by the way by the time im 40 im going to be retired. Dont get flustered over this "kid" learn from him. Good businesses evolve.

packerbacker
04-08-2005, 08:47 AM
What are you going to say to him?

Its not illegal what he's doing. You sound a little insecure about your prices and work if you think a 19 year old PTer is going to take your customers.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 09:04 AM
quit being a ball baby..................

i hate to tell you BUT, this usa..........

get over it period

johnnyusa
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I should of noted, That when i was showing him the work i was giving him I told him there was people moving in soon and I was gonna approach them . I am not insecure about pricing when you have a legal business and the neighborhood calls for 30.00 and some one comes along w/ no insurance , doesnt have any responsilities and starts giving prices for 17.00 and free cleanups it ruins the business.

CamLand
04-08-2005, 09:08 AM
I had a kid in the neighborhood, who's parents got divorced a few yrs ago trying to get a lawn service going part time ( he's goin to college) I was busy in the fall so I let him do 4 leave cleanups and he got paid the full price.I knew he was looking for more cust. so i told him before i gave him the work not to give any fliers out to my customers and he said i would never, next thing I hear he"s dropping off fliers ( right next door to the new people moving in the same day ) in the same neighborhood Ive been cutting for yrs.and is gonna be cutting a few lawns where houses were just sold by giving them super low bids. Should I say something to the kid. hes 19yrs. old this is something I wouln"t have done.

It's called a competitive business...

packerbacker
04-08-2005, 09:20 AM
I should of noted, That when i was showing him the work i was giving him I told him there was people moving in soon and I was gonna approach them . I am not insecure about pricing when you have a legal business and the neighborhood calls for 30.00 and some one comes along w/ no insurance , doesnt have any responsilities and starts giving prices for 17.00 and free cleanups it ruins the business.

Better learn to deal with it now. Its going to be happening for a long time.

Randy Scott
04-08-2005, 09:25 AM
That's why I take the attitude of helping NOBODY! Why should I? So, just as in your case, they can stab me in the back a year later. F 'em. I literally turn work down and/or tell them I don't know anyone to recommend before I will give anyone else a shot at it anymore. I tried the buddy nice guy route in business, it doesn't pay off. It's all about me now.

Gautreaux's LNG
04-08-2005, 09:31 AM
First of all its America,land of the free. Lots of young men in this area have put themselves through school cutting grass. They are making a living as you are. If they are under cutting every body, it won't be long before they will learn a new lesson. Working hard for nothing, breaking windows with no insurance cost alot,the prices will come back up. Expand your "area" go after new business and grow your business. How about a little cheese with that whine. Its tough out there, been there. Good Luck

MMLawn
04-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Like has already been said, that is the nature of the business. Plus I don't see where the kid did anything wrong. You ask him not to go to your present customers and he didn't. The new ones are fair game. Do you not try and get clients in areas where other LCO's already are? I think so, we all do, knowingly or not knowingly.

CutandSmokeGrass
04-08-2005, 02:25 PM
you should steal his lawn mower. thats what I would do.

Appalachian landscape
04-08-2005, 02:36 PM
I encourage competetion. You think that kid could give a 30 min lecture on turf grass management? What he gonna do when someone asks him all the questions that really aren't common knowlege. Anyone can cut grass, it takes knowlege to be a professional. If you're good, I wouldn't worry about the "kid".

Jpocket
04-08-2005, 02:59 PM
It's called a competitive business...

No it's called CUTTHROAT

green with envy
04-08-2005, 03:11 PM
He has as much of a right to approach the "new" people as you do.

You asked him not to go after your customers. If he has left your current customers alone. You have no gripes.

Mike

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 03:26 PM
Neighborhoods are not "ganglands", and no one has their own "turf", so to speak. What he did was underhanded, and I can see how you would fell betrayed, but these types of things are common-place in any business. Let him have the neighbor's lawn. Just keep providing top notch service to your customer next to them, and they just might call you over him. Or....take a flyer and business card to them in person, introduce yourself, and win the job. The worst thing you can do is give up. You must beat him at his own game.

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 03:28 PM
No it's called CUTTHROAT
Welcome to the business world. Overcome and adapt or be put under.

Todd's lawncare
04-08-2005, 06:08 PM
If you been in it for 10 years you should have good enough amount of costumers to not have to worry about it move on or kick his ass . Doesn't do any good to ***** about .It will just make you more mad.

sheshovel
04-08-2005, 06:11 PM
It is very difficult not to feel territorial though.If you have been in an area awhile you tend to feel like it's your turf.This is just natural and goes back to the caveman days.You just gotta learn to deal with it.But I will get pissed if somebody comes onto my jobs and tries to undermine my work or talk me down...Then I fight back.

BOTURF
04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
i can understand how you can feel like that, but i bet he sees you making good money so he decides he can do that too , this is what we call cut throat around here ........... i know a guy that serviced a large business and thier other properties that were around the county well a guy that used to work for him went and bid on those accounts ( under bid him by just a few bucks... he musta know some how what to bid ) and won the contract , the funny thing is when this guy bid these properties he didnt even own a mower or trimmer and now hes going to be full services. I dont think so !!! This is what you call cut throat and to say the least the lco that lost the accounts was ready to tear his head off.

Kickin Your Grass
04-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Take his plate number down off the truck. Try to get all the personal info you can on him.(Name,number,address,etc) Possibly a pic of his set up and him working. Then call your local comptroller and city tax offices and tell them how he is in business and to your knowledge he isnt collecting any sales tax.....he is not paying any self employment taxes ....and isnt paying business property taxes.

Around here they get fined 500.00 per day that they are caught.... just for not having a salex tax permit, not to include everything else.

tinman
04-08-2005, 09:51 PM
No it's called CUTTHROAT
Competitive business, cut-throat, dog eat dog, free enterprise, no holds barred, etc........ IT IS WHAT IT IS. Adapt & don't fret over the small stuff.

JROD
04-08-2005, 10:26 PM
I have to agree. I see a lot of people complain about competition and they feel like it is only happening in the lawn business. There is competion in almost every business. People are going to under-bid jobs in any industry. You can call it what you want, but all it is, is competition and it is going to exist in any industry.

My dad owns a large promotional product business and we have just started doing in-house screen printing and embroidery. We have competitors that charge half of what we charge but we stay busy, while they are waiting for customers. It's not all about the pricing, if you keep people happy, offer a good quality product or service, people are willing to pay for it. It is just something that has to be dealt with.

Runner
04-09-2005, 09:33 AM
I wouldn't sweat it, too much. Chances are, you can't do the whole neighborhood, anyway. He won't be around forever, and when he is gone, you are the one who was big enough to let him go on working and doing his thing without it hindering you. As a matter of fact, in the long run, this may work out to your advantage.