PDA

View Full Version : customer says you mow too fast

metiernan
04-08-2005, 11:49 AM
Anyone ever have customers say how they mow too fast and need to slow down? I hate it when they do that. I have a exmark 27 hp 60 inch and unless the grass is real tall or wet I can mow at whatever speed I want and the grass cuts fine. I try and explain that to the customer but they look at me like I don't know what I'm talking about. It is typically the older people that complain.

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Older folks aren't up with the times. They live in the "5 cents for a loaf of bread" era. They probably feel like what they pay for lawn care(no matter the cost) is expensive, and they feel you are cheating them by cutting faster. They don't feel they are getting alot of for for the price they are paying. They can't help it.

a a green
04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
people don't realize that the mowers we use are made to go fast.

marko
04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Your only hope is to educate them (or try to). Most are like talking to a bag of hammers in this respect though.

chimmygew
04-08-2005, 12:41 PM
I just lost a customer who told me my guys are too wreckless. I asked her what she meant by that and she told me they go to fast and are gone in no time. The funny thing is, we cut her lawn with 21" lawnboys...

Critical Care
04-08-2005, 12:45 PM
You might want to try mowing a couple rows going fast, and then mow a couple more next to those going slow. Make sure the client is watching, and then compare the quality of the cuts.

It's more than likely that some people don't like to see their money being spent so rapidly. Maybe what they want to see is a 21" walk behind.

Mowerman05
04-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah, if they really wanted to gripe - I would probably do what Critical Care suggested. Then after showing that the cut quality is the same I'd point out that you're using commercial grade equipment designed to get the job done quickly while maintaining better cut quality than any cheap 21" going .00121 mph.

They should reallize that they get their quality cut at the price you're charging because you can get the job done that fast with that equipment.

I'd also point out that the less time you are out there mowing somebody's yard - it's that much less noise pollution they and their neighborhood has to deal with.

Tadams
04-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Tell them that you charge by the hour and if they want you to slow down then you are going to have to raise their price.

sheshovel
04-08-2005, 02:09 PM
Did it occur to any of you they may be concerned you will fall off and hurt yourself?Maybe they are worried about you?I see what speed mowing does to lawns and it's not always good.It cant hurt to slow down enough to make the turns on all the wheels instead of just one or two.

David Grass
04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I often comment to my customers how a large efficient mower puts out less emmissions per yard, and that I aim to be as fast as possible on each yard to maintain better air quality for the environment! This is something that eveyone needs to consider, the most efficient ways to get jobs done in America!!!

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Did it occur to any of you they may be concerned you will fall off and hurt yourself?Maybe they are worried about you?I see what speed mowing does to lawns and it's not always good.It cant hurt to slow down enough to make the turns on all the wheels instead of just one or two.
Are you serious?

rodfather
04-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Old people...too fast or too big or both. Have heard it for years.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-08-2005, 05:25 PM
The main thing they never had mowers that could mow like we do today, I can remember years ago that mowing the lawn was a major thing, after getting home after school and mowing the yard and using the push mower to trim it was a 2-3 hour job. Now with the modern equipment the same yard takes about 40 minutes and no push mower is required, just a little string trimming

sheshovel
04-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Absolutly not lol!!!

LawnMower
04-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Mowers today are made for people like us that make a living mowing grass. where not the kid down the street mowing for McDonald's money. If I know there watching I slow it down a bit. Other wise I mow at what ever the lawn will take.

DennisF
04-08-2005, 05:55 PM
When they complain that I'm mowing too fast, I explain to them that the only reason that I can cut their grass for a reasonable price is the speed and efficiency of the mower. If they insist that I slow down...I tell them that the price for mowing just doubled since it will take me twice as long to do the job. That usually ends the conversation.

Todd's lawncare
04-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Tell them they bit@h to much and have a nice day !!!!!!!!!!!

GrassBustersLawn
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Send Bobby Gedd to "educate" them with his shovel!

Mike

Mo Green
04-08-2005, 07:53 PM
When they complain that I'm mowing too fast, I explain to them that the only reason that I can cut their grass for a reasonable price is the speed and efficiency of the mower. If they insist that I slow down...I tell them that the price for mowing just doubled since it will take me twice as long to do the job. That usually ends the conversation.
Sounds resonable to me.

lawnandplow42
04-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Old people like everything slow.

Their driving motto is "drive slow, sit low"

SoloMow
04-08-2005, 08:42 PM
One possibile answer is that these elderly customers may have purchased the home you are servicing in the 1950's for $9,600 (w/monthly payments of $60) while working hard at the minimum wage of $1.25/hour. I'm sure it boggles their minds to see someone leave the property with the equivalent of a house payment only 20 minutes after arriving. :eek:

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-08-2005, 09:06 PM
I agree with most of the posts and I think it comes down to customers not understanding that the equipment we use and the cost of that equipment is not the same as walking into Home Depot and buying a push mower. Tell them your mower costs $10,000 compared to $200 at HD and you'd sure as hell hope it cut faster, efficiently with better quality.

SoloMow
04-08-2005, 09:08 PM
One possibile answer is that these elderly customers may have purchased the home you are servicing in the 1950's for $9,600 (w/monthly payments of $60) while working hard at the minimum wage of $1.25/hour. I'm sure it boggles their minds to see someone leave the property with the equivalent of a house payment only 20 minutes after arriving. :eek:

Just for fun picture yourself in 40+ years. :D An LCO's vehicle hovers over the front "greenscape" of your $160,000 abode and ejects an ExMark 2045A servicing pod that proceeds to devour your property's chlorophyll-producing organisms in less than 15 minutes. One nanosecond later your computer says, "You've Paid Bills!". You check and see that Bobby Gedd has just deducted $1050 from your account as per the contract. Damn! You finally realize that you worked the most productive years of your life for a measly $1.00/minute. Bummer! :drinkup:

jajwrigh
04-08-2005, 09:24 PM
Older folks aren't up with the times. They live in the "5 cents for a loaf of bread" era. They probably feel like what they pay for lawn care(no matter the cost) is expensive, and they feel you are cheating them by cutting faster. They don't feel they are getting alot of for for the price they are paying. They can't help it.

What a shi%%y stereotype! Thats like saying ALL black people eat chicken and watermelon....or all white people like country music and Fords.....now I assinate your character... :gunsfirin

Frontier-Lawn
04-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Old people like everything slow.

Their driving motto is "drive slow, sit low"
...... and pants up high :D

lawnandplow42
04-08-2005, 09:32 PM
What a shi%%y stereotype! Thats like saying ALL black people eat chicken and watermelon....or all white people like country music and Fords.....now I assinate your character... :gunsfirin

thats correct, just change ford to chevy
:cool:

Precision
04-08-2005, 11:35 PM
Hit them with the watching while I work surcharge.
Can either be placed in the entertainment category or the Pita category depending on the client.

OR

Ask does the lawn look great when we are done.
If answer is yes, then I guess we are going slow enough.
If answer is no, thenI guess you will need a new service because that is how our operation runs. Lets see how much better it looks when the slow guy does it.

metiernan
04-10-2005, 12:13 PM
One time I got real mad because I got lectured for ten minutes about how I mow too fast at the retirement homes I mow at. Some of the people that live their complain about everything. I mow it because it is good money. The lady said how I mow too fast and I probably have more yards then I can handle. She liked it better when I took over twice as long 5 years ago with my 32 inch rider wheras now I have a exmark 60 inch. I get the same crap their moving snow. They don't go anywhere before ten in the morning but if the snow isn't moved by 6 they complain.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-10-2005, 09:02 PM
One time I got real mad because I got lectured for ten minutes about how I mow too fast at the retirement homes I mow at. Some of the people that live their complain about everything. I mow it because it is good money. The lady said how I mow too fast and I probably have more yards then I can handle. She liked it better when I took over twice as long 5 years ago with my 32 inch rider wheras now I have a exmark 60 inch. I get the same crap their moving snow. They don't go anywhere before ten in the morning but if the snow isn't moved by 6 they complain.

Haha I know thats all true lol, I get it at the Laundromat all the time. Complain about nothing every week and want money back...if they really had it that bad I don't think they'd keep coming back, just looking to complain...stupid ppl.

dwc
04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
we have a lot of people call the office and say the crew was only here for like 10 minutes. Our new answer is they were there 10 minutes? I am sorry, we have been having trouble with those guys, I promise it will be faster next time and I will have a talk with the crew about it. They don't know quite what to say. :-)

joallen001
04-11-2005, 01:54 AM
I mow with super z and one customer told me i was going to fast and it was just laying the grass down. he said i wasnt even cutting it. thats funny, sure was a lot of grass going out the chute

dishboy
04-11-2005, 07:47 AM
I guess I can agree with a lot of the old folks. I see alot of work that would look a lot better if the mower was slowed down to around four M.P.H. as well as lowered to recommended cutting heights for applicable grass cultivar, which for bluegrass-rye is between 2.5 to 3.0 inches by almost every major University with a quality turfgrass program in place.

65hoss
04-11-2005, 07:57 AM
I never try to blow thru as fast as possible on residential lawns. I will slow up some. But even then, that is a pretty fast pace. The few times I've heard anything, I just point at the truck and trailer w/ equipment and say there sits $60k so I can mow fast. I tell them I have to make a living and speed and effeciency is the main way, unless they want me to raise prices.
Most people complain because the start adding things up in their pathetic heads. Most work for someone and just collect a paycheck. They start thinking $45 for him to be here 30 minutes. Thats $90 per hour he makes. They don't understand business expenses.

LawnMower
04-11-2005, 08:08 AM
I mow with super z and one customer told me i was going to fast and it was just laying the grass down. he said i wasnt even cutting it. thats funny, sure was a lot of grass going out the chute

Yes Yes, that happened to me. She came running out and stopped me. YOUR NOT EVEN CUTTING IT, YOUR JUST LAYING IT DOWN!! She bent down to show me. But of course the grass she was pointing to was very short to begin with. It was in a wooded aria and didn't grow fast. Out in the middle of the yard I was blowing lots of grass out the shoot at the same speed.

She wasn't going to here any of it.

kwelch
04-11-2005, 10:34 AM
I don't know about you guys but all the yards I mow do not have speed limit signs in them.

BCSteel
04-11-2005, 11:03 AM

I got that once too. Funniest damn thing I've ever heard on the job.