PDA

View Full Version : Scag Wildcat

bmac
04-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Went to look at ZTRs today. The Scag dealer is close to home and has a very good service department. I have done buisness with them for years on smaller items and feel very comfortable with this dealer.

Was looking at the Scag Wildcat. I've learned from this forum the importance of suspension seats on ZTRs. Suspension is not an option on the wildcat or Tiger cub. How much of a beating will I take without the suspension seat? My yard is not the smoothest in the world.

Also, I notice that there are no anti-scalp rollers on the center of the 52" and smaller decks. Will this affect the quality of the cut?

Thanks

bmac
04-09-2005, 01:19 PM
OK, let me try to re-word my question on the seat issue to see if anyone can offer advice. I realize that you folks have a limited amount of time to reply to posts on this forum and that your time is best spent helping other professionals with buisness-related issues. But I've spent hours reading threads on this site and have come to respect the wealth of knowlege here. I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here.

Would the advantages of having an excellent dealer close by outweigh the disadvantages of the not having a suspension seat on the Scag Wildcat? This will be for residential use, mowing 1-2 acres. I know its not like spending several hours a day, 6 days aweek in the saddle, but I also know that my current garden tractor beats me to death in some areas and I don't mow very fast with it. The Wildcat seat has alot more cushion than my current mower and may be sufficient for an hour or so per week that I would use it.

Another factor to consider is the fact that by this time next year we should be in a new home. I would like to believe that the new lawn, while it will likely be bigger, hopefully will have been prepared better before sodding and, therefore smoother. But, until its done, who knows?

In any event, any advice would be appreciated.

CottonPatch
04-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Ask your dealer for a demo in your yard. That way you will know exactly how it will perform for you. The wildcat has an upgraded cushion ride seat that will be fine for you. Talk to the dealer about swapping the wildcat seat for a suspension seat and the difference in price. Either seat, I think you will be fine. If the dealer can not for some reason do a demo for you, let me know. I can contact the distributor rep for your area to help out.

G&MLC
04-09-2005, 06:55 PM
I bought a Turf Tiger last year and it has the standard spring seat and it does a good job on bumpy turf. l lean forward a little which keeps the back of the seat from beating me up.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I have a tiger cub with a regular seat and 48'' deck, the seat is fine and the cut is good

Scottish LScape
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Take the Wildcat for a demo! I have 2 Wildcats with the factory seats, We think they are fine! But, only a demo will give you the real test! Good luck with it.

lawnandplow42
04-09-2005, 11:11 PM
A suspension seat is nice,

bmac
04-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if they will allow me to demo a unit.

Talk to the dealer about swapping the wildcat seat for a suspension seat and the difference in price.

I asked about this yesterday. He told me that the suspension seat available on the Turf Tiger does not fit the Tiger Cub or the Wildcat.

I probably sound like I'm overly concerned about the seat comfort. But, I turn 50 next month and these bones just don't take the punishment like they used to. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Mower Man
04-10-2005, 09:55 AM
New Wildcat is using a Vertical Engine Design is a more modern design which
kind of combines good features from the Turf Tiger, and Tiger Cub.
This 'main frame' design on motors to 27-28 hp has been used by Yazoo/Kees, Hustler, Ferris, Gravely, etc., for years, and others are or have started changing.

Some advantages of a 'VED':
Lower Center Of Gravity,
Better lateral stability,
Better ride,
Better engine cooling,
Quieter & cooler bottom mount muffler,
Eliminates rear 'Mule Drive' belt (power loss),
Elimination of Gear Box (power loss).

Regarding ride comfort when hitting a bump,mowing rough ground...... the closer the COG is to the ground the less 'movements' (horizontal, vertical, and angular) the mower has. That lessens the impact.....which improves the ride comfort.

Another design that makes a ride more comfortable because it's designed using the Science of Ergonomics is, angular foot rest ++++ seat location AND position that allows the operator to stretch out his legs, and rest the foot on an angular 'foot rest'.

If the ankle is at a normal angle, AND-AND the upper leg position is parallel to the floor meaning the knee isn't higher than the hip, the weight & vibration (up/down & forward/rearward) is greatly reduced at the lower back.

Depending on the seat, the operator may also be 'held' in a more upright position keeping the spine more errect, which again helps to reduce fatigue thru better posture.
Big seats can be simply that. Big.
Newer seats shaped around the back & a$$, and especially the newer thinner (lower) "Memory Foams" seats can really make a big difference in comfort.
Recently got one of the memory foam beds.....never slept better!!!!!!

Not sure, but if the Wildcat has a vibration cushioned AND retained floor plate meaning it's got anti-vibe material under it, and is held down by some sort of fastener not just the leg/foot weight, that again helps to lessen vibrations to the foot/ankle/knee/hip joints & muscles.

Some mower companies are really working at making "seat time" alot more comfortable by making mowers fit us, not the other way around.

If these design features are present.....it should have a good ride 'built in'.

Tider6972
04-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Excellent, excellent post ! Thank You.