PDA

View Full Version : corn gluten(sp)

grass disaster
04-08-2005, 03:37 PM
you guys ever hear of this. i talked to a guy at the local feed mill. he said i sould use this for crab grass preventor.

does it work? he said it is a natural product. the price is $22 dollars for 100lbs.

seems like a cost saving idea.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 03:51 PM
feed mill ~~~~ corn meal ~~~ $6 / 100#
~~~~~~ corn gluten meal ~~~ $ 14.50 / 50#

so you better check it closely...............
because they are very different....................
:blob2: :blob1: :blob4: :blob4:

grass disaster
04-08-2005, 04:01 PM
could you put this down on a fairly new lawn. i over seeded my lawn last fall.
would this be a good idea to put this down or should i let the lawn fill in a little more.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Organic Weed Control Methods ~ Corn Gluten Meal

"What is Corn Gluten Meal?"
Corn gluten meal is a yellowy powder created as a by-product during a milling process of corn. It is primarily used in farm animal feeds, dog food, and fish food. It contains 60% protein and 10% nitrogen. It is also used as a "pre-emergent" weed control for lawns. The nitrogen in the Corn Gluten Meal provides a small amount of fertilizer helping to "green-up" the lawn.

"What is a "pre-emergent?"
A pre-emergent is an herbicide used before emergence of seedlings above the ground. "Is Corn Gluten Meal the same as the cornmeal I make muffins with?" It's a very different product, cornmeal for baking is a specific product made by grinding dried corn kernels.

"How does Corn Gluten Meal control weeds?"
Corn Gluten Meal prevents roots from forming during seed germination. If a root can't grow a seedling will not be able to obtain water or nourishment from the soil, it will dry up and die. Corn Gluten Meal must be applied to the soil before weeds germinate in order to be effective. It has no effect upon weeds that have already sprouted and formed a root system.

"What are some weeds that Corn Gluten Meal will help control?"
Corn Gluten Meal is effective as a pre-emergent in controlling crabgrass, curly dock, dandelions, lamb's quarters, and pigweed.

"How should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"
It can be used in a spreader and applied at a recommended rate of 20 lbs per 1,000 square feet. Prior to applying please read the application information on the product packaging.

"When should I apply Corn Gluten Meal to my lawn?"
Spread Corn Gluten Meal on your lawn about four to six weeks before weeds
sprout....that's generally during very early Spring. However, not all weeds sprout in Spring and you may wish to reapply Corn Gluten Meal to your lawn a few times during the growing season to prevent late sprouting weeds from emerging, also, the nitrogen in the meal will help keep your lawn green and growing well.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 04:28 PM
Corn Gluten Meal for Crabgrass Control

The idea of using corn gluten meal for weed control burst on the scene in the early 1990's after Dr. Nick Christians at Iowa State accidentally discovered its herbicidal properties while he was testing it for suppression of turf
diseases. After several years of efficacy studies and product development, corn gluten meal has gained national attention as being the first effective "organic" herbicide. Corn gluten meal is not a registered pesticide because the U.S. EPA has granted an exemption for corn gluten meal as an herbicide.

Corn gluten meal is a product of the wet milling process. It is a pre-emergent herbicide which inhibits root formation during germination. It is currently labeled for control of crabgrass, barnyardgrass, foxtails (Setaria spp.),
dandelion, lambsquarters, pigweed, purslane and smartweed. Data suggest it has at least some activity on an even wider variety of plants. It is safe to use on established turf. Do not use corn gluten meal in an area in which you are trying to establish turfgrass.

Research shows 50-60 percent control can be achieved in the first year when applied at 20 lbs. Per 1000 ft. Studies suggest that control is improved in successive years and as use rates increase. Currently it is sold as a dry product under various trade names, including Dynaweed, Safe 'N Simple, Earth Friendly, W.O.W.!, Corn Gluten Meal Herbicide and Propac. It is sold for the homeowner market in retail stores as Concern-Weed Prevention Plus. Until
recently it was only offered in powder form. Now a granular form is available which can be more easily applied with Vikon spreaders, rotary and drop spreaders. Application rates vary from 12 to 20 lbs. per 1000 feet, once in
early to mid-spring and another in early to mid-August. Since the corn gluten meal is about 10 percent nitrogen, this catches two flushes of crabgrass and spreads out the nitrogen effect. Two applications at 12 lbs/1000 ft. Will
provide nearly 2.5 lb. N/1000 ft per year. This is the same corn gluten meal sold at feed mills for animal feed; however, it is pelletized for easier and more uniform application.

Portions of at least two proteins in the corn gluten meal, called peptides, are the active ingredients in corn gluten meal. Laboratory studies show the peptides themselves to be significantly more effective at preventing weed
germination than the corn gluten meal itself. Unfortunately the peptides do not persist in the soil when used as a spray long enough for effective control. Current research is aimed at isolating and packaging these peptides to
produce a sprayable product.

grass disaster
04-08-2005, 04:46 PM
that's great but what's your opinion on the stuff. do you use it?

should i get it down soon?

minnesota here.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
have 65 clients that use Corn Gluten Meal
some put i down once in spring (mar 15 ----april 8)
then some want (april 8 -----may 15)
also have some (may 30-----june 15)
then (aug 3rd wk is its raining)
after (sept 4 ---- oct 15)
final ( nov 4th wk)

i think this stuff works fantastic................
but, will ever get rid of every weed, not..........
organic is best way to go period......

using this stuff for 4 years now............

plus, i recommend using following fertilizer 20-10-10, 10-10-10
only after i get penn state soil test ................

Green Quality
04-09-2005, 08:57 PM
Cgm works,(The amino acids,attack the cell tissue of young sprouts or newly germinated weeds.Bio-war don't you love it.The smell of corn in the morning! ;)

gil
04-10-2005, 09:11 AM
IF the CGM attacks the newly germinated weeds, would it also attack actively and desirable growing blue grass?

wally world III
04-10-2005, 10:40 AM
CGM will ONLY kill seed put down............
please read the above reports.............. :help:

gil
04-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I read it. My bad.

ndunn
04-15-2005, 09:59 PM
Anybody having success with CGM in zone 1 (pacific northwest)? I'm using it, but would love to hear from someone who has been using it a few years. Have it laid out at approx. 20lb per 1000ft. Cool season grasses, kentucky blue, fescues, a little rye mixed in sometimes. My timing was a little funky I think, i pulled weeds for two hours straight in some empty beds today (5 tater sacks of jumbo weeds). I know the CGM won't kill the existing weeds, but hoping to curb the spread of another jungle in coordination with regular maintenance. I love getting paid by the hour to weed, but if there's a way to keep these suckers under control it would be unethical to keep going back to weed. oh and for those wandering over from other forums: roundup...never heard of it. thanks in advance for your comments

Mowingman
04-15-2005, 10:36 PM
Now before you all jump all over me, remember, this is MY OPINION from MY experience, and the experiences of others I talk with.
Corn Gluten Meal for weed control is hogwash. It is a joke, and expensive to boot. I tried it, at several customers request, over a period of two years. Found it cost about 4 times as much as conventional pre-emergents, and was not effective at all. You can only spread it on calm days, or you will be treating the whole neighborhood with the dust. Really nasty stuff to spread.
Several of our local businesses and municipal agencies tried it for several years, with very poor results. You can hardly give the stuff away around here now.
Stick with conventional pre-emergent products if you want happy customers with weed-free yards.

ndunn
04-16-2005, 12:05 AM
Now before you all jump all over me, remember, this is MY OPINION from MY experience, and the experiences of others I talk with.
Corn Gluten Meal for weed control is hogwash. It is a joke, and expensive to boot. I tried it, at several customers request, over a period of two years. Found it cost about 4 times as much as conventional pre-emergents, and was not effective at all. You can only spread it on calm days, or you will be treating the whole neighborhood with the dust. Really nasty stuff to spread.
Several of our local businesses and municipal agencies tried it for several years, with very poor results. You can hardly give the stuff away around here now.
Stick with conventional pre-emergent products if you want happy customers with weed-free yards.

thanks for the feedback. How heavy did you apply it? I know Denton, and your grasses are a different beast, but I'd like to know when and how you used it. Also, I wasn't aware any businesses or gov. buildings were using it in the area. When you say "very poor results", how bad does that mean? Conventional pre-emergents are not an option for me, so if i find nothing then I do it all by hand as they grow.

ArizPestWeed
04-16-2005, 01:18 AM
If it works in lawns , will it work in gravel , to keep weeds from germinating ?
In Arizona we have a lot of rock yards in place of lawn and request for organics

nocutting
04-16-2005, 02:05 AM
Ever hear of a "Gandy Drop Spreader" they come in 24",36" & 48" widths, [ then it doesent blow all over the place]....About the cost, yes it costs more,But its also 10% N [ nitrogen ] so in fact you are fertilizeing and applying a pre-emergent in a single application......."Warning"- this is a grassy weed control, thats it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,,,,Anybody remember "Balan", as with corn gluten you need to do 2 spring applications on a fully established turf area [ in the mid-west or western states "Beet Juice" is often more readily avalible and less expensive- to CGM]... [ if you have bare spots, seed them with a 3-kind perennial rye w/endophyte]- something that germinates in 7 days or less and wont die this year......Some of you guys kill me, surely if your CGM is blowing all over the neighborhood its not going down on the target area, how do you expect it to work?.....2ndly how many chemical pre-emergents have been in the market place over the last 5yrs?, the same goes for broadleaf weed controls?...If chemicals were so "Great", there wouldnt be a need for so many different formulations?....."Organics Work".....just do it right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool2: payup

NattyLawn
04-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Well said nocutting....I put it down at 25 lbs per k out of the magnum, and the only dust that comes out is on me :) I don't know if its on this forum or not, but I believe you need 3 seasons of cg apps to see optimum results.

nocutting
04-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Thank You, it does take about 3-seasons to get 75% control, but with every year the results get "Better & Better"........If anybody cares I started tryin Corn Gluten Feed as a third application dureing the summer months, already we've noted that its burn potential is greatly reduced...Hope our theory works on the weeds as well.....I'll keep you guys / ladies posted :dizzy: :)

Mowingman
04-16-2005, 09:35 PM
ndunn,
It has been 5 years since I last used the stuff. I used it only when requested by customers, I think on 5 lawns. I applied it as per supplier's recommendations, twice a year, for about 3 seasons, with no good results. Customers were, by then, ticked about their weedy lawns. All went back to conventional pre-emergents at my recommendation.
I tried to send you a PM with details of who used it, and where it has been tried, on a large scale here, but you do not accept PM's.

NattyLawn
04-16-2005, 09:54 PM
Here's the link to the brand I use (Safe Lawn):
http://www.cornglutenmeal.com/pages/1/index.htm

Neal Wolbert
04-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Have a look at WSU research. Click on horticultural myths. What do you think?
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/ Neal

Mowingman
04-18-2005, 01:01 PM
The whole corn gluten thing is a joke, just like my experience with it proved. When will people quit listening to these organic and environmental nuts. glad to see some actual proof that everyone is being taken to the cleaners that uses this stuff for "weed control".

ndunn
04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
Have a look at WSU research. Click on horticultural myths. What do you think?
http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/ Neal

Yeah I saw that link, that's why I started asking after field results from our zone. Huge field/lab discrepancies across the nation, which is understandable given all the factors involved in a field application. Just trying to figure out if anybody has used it up here, then under what conditions was it a success. Seems like it might work in specific micro-climates. Not going to abandon the tried and true for CGM this year though, good old elbow grease and mulch. I haven't plunked a customer with a bill for this, just allowed to experiment in exchange for the basic mow package. I don't know a customer that is willing to wait three years to see results at high costs.

Gators_Aerator
04-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I have only used it once, last fall. Great results from the fertilizer side. That part of the lawn is very green and healthy. As for weeds the jury is still out.

I still apply the cut high method to reducing weeds. A thick lawn helps reduce weeds more that anything else.

I do agree the price is high too. I buy mine from a local feed store, so it is not the patented variety. They commercial variety adds a few more things before it is packaged and sold. I use plain old CGM.

My wife who could care little about the lawn even commented on the difference in our test area compared to the rest of the lawn.

organictwo
02-17-2006, 12:25 PM
Corn gluten meal works well. I have used it on lawns for years. CGM lawns will be thicker and greener longer than you would think.
Try combining corn gluten preemergent with some applications of the green guardian selective postemerge- fantastic results. I do it with great success.

zim bob the landscaper
02-18-2006, 07:52 AM
where do you buy CGM? also how much does it cost around?

does anyone have pics of there lawns that have been treated with it i would love to see how they look!

The Cowboy
02-19-2006, 01:27 PM
where do you buy CGM? also how much does it cost around?

does anyone have pics of there lawns that have been treated with it i would love to see how they look!

Try your local feed store first and go from there. The cheapest you will find is labeled as feed or animal protein supplements. Then check any suppliers that market organic-based fertilizers, they can probably get it too. You might be surprised but some normal fertilizer companies can get it too. Try Lesco.

Norm Al
02-24-2006, 08:39 PM
im not real sure why so much corn gluten is used when i have never heard of good results!

if you want to see dead crabgrass the day after an organic product is applied use www.agralawn.com

it amazes me that weed killers are the missing link in organics and you guys dont tap into this product! especially when many of the very large spray services in florida are using even tho they arent organic!

seems like you guys listen to much to the "hired guns" of organics who spew corn gluten as the saviour of everything!

DUSTYCEDAR
02-25-2006, 11:10 AM
finding cgm at a fair price is the problem