PDA

View Full Version : Bob-Cat mulch kit?

RVonder
04-08-2005, 07:23 PM
I have a Bob-Cat ZT219 with the 54" side-discharge deck. Does anyone know definitively if a *real* mulch kit (internal baffles, etc.) is available for this deck? I keep getting conflicting stories from dealers - and although the Bob-Cat sales brochures talk about one (even show a picture), I sure can't find a part number for it. It's hard to believe that they don't make one because virtually every other mfr. does?

I already have what they call the "Eco-Plate" which is simply a blocker for the discharge chute. Worthless - I've tried it with both high-lift and gator blades, but get insane amounts of blowout around the right-front corner near the chute as well as clumping and streaking on the right side. After a few acres, I think I'm wearing more grass than it mulches!

Any advice welcomed!

thanks, Rob

Meg-Mo
04-08-2005, 07:31 PM
This is why you need to try the MEG MO blades and the ASC closure.

dirt digger
05-03-2005, 09:54 AM
I have a W/B Bobcat 54" I bought used with the baffle system. I beleive if you go the the Jacobsen website and click on Bobcat you can find the system.

Buckeye1
05-03-2005, 10:06 AM
They make an ezchute for Bob-Cat and Bunton ztrs.

RVonder
05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
Dirt digger -
Thanks for the info. Since my first post, I've had several chats with a great tech support guy at Textron/Jacobsen. For anyone else with a Bob-Cat ZT, here's the detailed answer (I think this applies to at least the 52-61" decks, and probably others also):

- He said that so-called blowout baffles are NOT usually installed at the factory (per the 'build sheet' he sent me). These are not for mulching per se, but help reduce clogging when using regular side discharge. There is a 'blowout baffle kit' (part no. 970281, 970282, or 970283) which contains two large curved baffles that mount under the deck on the left and right side, in front of the blades. There is also a smaller piece that mounts just to the rear of the discharge chute. Interestingly, my ZT219 (one yr old) *DID* have this kit factory-installed -- he was surprised to hear that.

- They sell a stupid thick metal "Eco-Plate" that simply covers the discharge chute opening. I have it, and it's worthless. Even with the 'blowout baffles', most of the grass simply exits beneath the right-front deck edge and blows back all over the mower (and operator!). Dealer says the plate is useful to mulch leaves; I can't say.

- If you really want to mulch, there *IS* a proper mulch kit similar to those of other mfrs. For the 52" and 54" decks, the elusive part no. is 970269. It contains four new baffles plus a chute cover and hardware; you also re-use the left-side blowout baffle (need to buy separately if you don't have it). Basically, these completely enclose the three blade areas for full mulching. Kit is $175.

I haven't bought it yet, but plan to do so. Will post results after I try it!

Thanks,
Rob

kc2006
05-03-2005, 10:49 AM
My local bobcat dealer sucks, i keep calling to find out if he found one yet since its not listed in any of his books and never get a reply. I'll have to call again today, i need one for a 48" walkbehind. My deck has the baffles in it already and the one near the chute, and I looked under there yesterday and there is nothing stuck to the deck and i haven't cleaned the deck since last year :D I like it

dirt digger
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
RVonder,

The mulching kit you are describing is the system that is on my bobcat. It seems to work decent, but probably like most mulching systems, if it is too wet or too high, it does leave clumps. Works great when the conditions are good. I thought about switching to the plate over the discharge since the mulching system takes time to put on and take off, but I will think otherwise since your experience has not been good. I mulch most of the time anyway. I appreciate the info.

kc2006
05-03-2005, 12:04 PM
Well I just finally got a call back from my dealer, said 160 plus shipping and its 3 weeks back orderd. He said it comes with the baffles, plate and blades, alittle more then i expected. He tried to sell me the eco plate, good thing i just read about it, i told him it was junk :D So after spring i'll get the mulch kit, mulch kits and spring dont work well here, i'm going to fab up an ezchute to use until the warmer dry weather hits then i'll switch over.

naturescape
11-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Dirt digger -
Thanks for the info. Since my first post, I've had several chats with a great tech support guy at Textron/Jacobsen. For anyone else with a Bob-Cat ZT, here's the detailed answer (I think this applies to at least the 52-61" decks, and probably others also):

- He said that so-called blowout baffles are NOT usually installed at the factory (per the 'build sheet' he sent me). These are not for mulching per se, but help reduce clogging when using regular side discharge. There is a 'blowout baffle kit' (part no. 970281, 970282, or 970283) which contains two large curved baffles that mount under the deck on the left and right side, in front of the blades. There is also a smaller piece that mounts just to the rear of the discharge chute. Interestingly, my ZT219 (one yr old) *DID* have this kit factory-installed -- he was surprised to hear that.

- They sell a stupid thick metal "Eco-Plate" that simply covers the discharge chute opening. I have it, and it's worthless. Even with the 'blowout baffles', most of the grass simply exits beneath the right-front deck edge and blows back all over the mower (and operator!). Dealer says the plate is useful to mulch leaves; I can't say.

- If you really want to mulch, there *IS* a proper mulch kit similar to those of other mfrs. For the 52" and 54" decks, the elusive part no. is 970269. It contains four new baffles plus a chute cover and hardware; you also re-use the left-side blowout baffle (need to buy separately if you don't have it). Basically, these completely enclose the three blade areas for full mulching. Kit is $175.

I haven't bought it yet, but plan to do so. Will post results after I try it!

Thanks,
Rob

So, have you tried the kit yet? How is it?

RVonder
11-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Ray,
Sorry, other things ended up on top of the "priority pile" and I just never got around to it this season. Like KC said, I'll probably order it soon but wait until after the thick spring growth period to install it...
Rob

stockie
01-20-2012, 10:35 AM
HEy guys

I realize its been a while since this post was active, however I just bought a Bobcat fast cat pro 52" and have the same questions. I bought it used, and as I call around to the few area dealers, no one can tell me anything about the mulching system. Most of the time Im telling them about it from what Ive learned on here.

So has anyone actually bought the baffle kit and used it? I would love to get it if it does work well. Thanks for any help!