PDA

View Full Version : dethatch price?

bobbygedd
04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
4,000 sq ft, fairly level/easy access. dethatch and take it away. heavy thatch (2 passes). how much?

Kickin Your Grass
04-08-2005, 06:51 PM
How long do you think it will take you and with how many people?

bobbygedd
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
that wasn't the question. WHAT IS YOUR PRICE on a job like this?

prizeprop
04-08-2005, 07:01 PM
$400.00 sounds good.

wally world III
04-08-2005, 07:16 PM
$399 for 4,000 sq ft to dethatch............

MOW ED
04-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Is it really thatch or just dead matted grass and leaves.
If it is real thatch you need a flail mower to start ripping.
How much to charge? I dont know I am new.

walker-talker
04-08-2005, 07:47 PM
Personally I would charge right around $80-$125. It would take me about 30 minutes to make two passes and another 20 minutes to mow (collect grass) and cleanup. I dethatch quite a bit in the spring.

Kickin Your Grass
04-08-2005, 08:30 PM
that wasn't the question. WHAT IS YOUR PRICE on a job like this?

4,000 sq ft, fairly level/easy access. dethatch and take it away. heavy thatch (2 passes). how much?

I dont see where your asking what we would charge! Looks like you are asking what we think you should charge..........

bobbygedd
04-08-2005, 08:48 PM

I dont see where your asking what we would charge! Looks like you are asking what we think you should charge..........
i know my price son. i'm asking yours

Kickin Your Grass
04-08-2005, 08:52 PM
i know my price son. i'm asking yours

I guess since you been a member here for a while and have made 7,000 post that gives you the right to talk to me like Im a kid?

You come off as a urban *****! Hope you dont talk to your customers that way ...son!

bobbygedd
04-08-2005, 09:05 PM
i guess if this were texas, i'd get lethal injection for this, huh? you still havn't answered the question

stumper1620
04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
5000 sq. ft. minimum 125 bucks, 25 per k there after. relatively flat no major obstacles. payup

Classic Lawn
04-08-2005, 10:42 PM
5000 sq. ft. minimum 125 bucks, 25 per k there after. relatively flat no major obstacles. payup
Must be nice to get that amout i have people saying iam to high charging 125 for like 8,000sq/ft everyone want something for nothing they dont relize how much work it really takes.

stumper1620
04-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Must be nice to get that amout i have people saying iam to high charging 125 for like 8,000sq/ft everyone want something for nothing they dont relize how much work it really takes.
lots of bucks in that equipment & a lot of clean up doing it right, dont like the price, go buy a rake and work for a few days doing what i can have done in short order. don't give yourself away cheap, that is a job the kid down the street don't want. charge according to what you think is right. hard work with lots of clean up in my opinion is worth getting paid right for.
plus you may have areas that need hand raking to get the whole yard.
I am particular about getting the whole lawn, no missed corners allowed. :D

chefdrp
04-08-2005, 11:33 PM
well Bobby, since i have no power rake (dethatcher) i would have to rent one. say around 60 bucks. 45 min to push that thing around. prob another 45 min to rake it all up then theres the dumping fee. So i quess I would say around 175 bucks. What did you charge BG?

GrassMasterNC
04-09-2005, 12:54 AM
Bobby, you're an idiot. Allen, walker-talker is right on target. Sometimes it helps to just IM some of the more respected people on this website who really try to pass good information along - especially to the new guys. Keep an eye out for info from MMlawn, yardpro, tiedeman, coastal greenscapes, and a few others. They are a wealth of knowledge.

Matt

bobbygedd
04-09-2005, 08:20 AM
Bobby, you're an idiot. Allen, walker-talker is right on target. Sometimes it helps to just IM some of the more respected people on this website who really try to pass good information along - especially to the new guys. Keep an eye out for info from MMlawn, yardpro, tiedeman, coastal greenscapes, and a few others. They are a wealth of knowledge.

Matt
the day your opinion matters to me, will be the day i jump off a bridge. so grassmaster, apparently your expensive education, and superior knowledge, have earned you the right to work for about 35% LESS THAN ME. congradulations, you are a lawnboy

Runner
04-09-2005, 08:59 AM
So, are we talking an actual thatch job, where we are digging down into the ground, or just a hard power raking, removing much of the surface dead material?

GrassMasterNC
04-09-2005, 09:59 AM
1. The market in the midwest and Texas bare a consierably different rate than in New Jersey.

2. The cost of living in the midwest and Texas are considerably lower than in New Jersey.

3. The quality of life is also higher in comparison - and the people are much friendlier.

4. If you knew the markets vary as the cost of living fluctuates across the country, you would not have asked such a silly "lawnboy" question.

5. Gabbing about generating 35% more from a service in your area compared to a service elsewhere is ridiculous. My house would cost nearly 3/4 million in New Jersey, but only an idiot would spend that much for my house here.....you following me?

5. If you asked for pricing opinions from people in your area, it may have made you come off a little more intelligent.

6. So I guess you lose all the way around....empty your pockets before you jump.

I won't waste my time entertaining this thread any more....

Matt

sildoc
04-09-2005, 10:52 AM
165-210. I own my own machine and would guestimate it taking 2 hours going over 1 time then mow then 1 more time and rake up what is left.

Cigarcop
04-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Bobby,

I don't know you nor would I like to know you. From your past posts you seem like an ass. Amazingly it isn't just me that has this opinion either.

Good luck to you.

bobbygedd
04-09-2005, 12:39 PM
1. The market in the midwest and Texas bare a consierably different rate than in New Jersey.

2. The cost of living in the midwest and Texas are considerably lower than in New Jersey.

3. The quality of life is also higher in comparison - and the people are much friendlier.

4. If you knew the markets vary as the cost of living fluctuates across the country, you would not have asked such a silly "lawnboy" question.

5. Gabbing about generating 35% more from a service in your area compared to a service elsewhere is ridiculous. My house would cost nearly 3/4 million in New Jersey, but only an idiot would spend that much for my house here.....you following me?

5. If you asked for pricing opinions from people in your area, it may have made you come off a little more intelligent.

6. So I guess you lose all the way around....empty your pockets before you jump.

I won't waste my time entertaining this thread any more....

Matt
great, you are still an idiot.

bobbygedd
04-09-2005, 02:20 PM
btw grassmaster, i think perhaps you'd better get your story straight. first you comment about agreeing with "the correct" price for the job. then you comment about about who to take advice from. then you come back and say that prices vary greatly from coast to coast, and so do alot of things including the demeanor of the clientelle. so why then did you even bother to comment on this topic at all? you make no sense. since prices fluctuate, and people fluctuate, how then can you pick and choose who would give the best advice? your buddy yardpro suggests doing work without a written agreement, IS THAT SOUND ADVICE? next time get your bullcrap straight. though i expect no less, from a man who attended college, just to do the same job as people who never even went to high school

lampeslawnservice
04-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Going rate HERE would be about $125 for about 90 minutes of work.

lampeslawnservice
04-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Of course I did see one the other day where the yard was thatched but not raked up and hauled away. Then it would only take about 30 mins. LOL

nocutting
04-09-2005, 04:32 PM
Hey Guys lets not fight?......Useing a "Bluebird"- lite thatch 0-3/4 inch and removeing the matter?....$225 and up to $350 if its really bad....personally I'd slice and seed into that thatch for $175, fertilize for $45 and if it was shady I'd charge extra for the shade mix as well, another $35 bucks- regards Saxon payup.....PS...Hopefully I'd be in and outa there in 45mins to an hour.

sildoc
04-09-2005, 05:41 PM
Of course I did see one the other day where the yard was thatched but not raked up and hauled away. Then it would only take about 30 mins. LOL
Done that before. Hate to do so but if the client does not want to fight the machine but is willing to pick it up I will cut my price in half. Dethatching up to 5000 sq ft for 100 smackers. in and out 45 min max.

GrassMasterNC
04-09-2005, 08:11 PM
btw grassmaster, i think perhaps you'd better get your story straight. first you comment about agreeing with "the correct" price for the job. then you comment about about who to take advice from. then you come back and say that prices vary greatly from coast to coast, and so do alot of things including the demeanor of the clientelle. so why then did you even bother to comment on this topic at all? you make no sense. since prices fluctuate, and people fluctuate, how then can you pick and choose who would give the best advice? your buddy yardpro suggests doing work without a written agreement, IS THAT SOUND ADVICE? next time get your bullcrap straight. though i expect no less, from a man who attended college, just to do the same job as people who never even went to high school

I know I said I was done with this thread, but you're just too easy to spool up...I can't help myself. You're right bobby, I should have been more specific and explained this Barney style for a high school drop out, if thats what you claim to be. My apologies. I expected any businessman, however, to use a little common sense when I agreed with a price that is dead on...meaning that's what the market bares here as well. As far as listening to what anyone has to say, a lot of folks on here have a lot of good information to pass along - you can pick and choose what you would apply to your own business as you see fit. They have good reputation as you do not. I don't think you have passed along anything worthwhile on here in any of your posts. As for Yardpro...anyone who works in the industry here knows him and that he is a very successful and smart businessman. Say what you want buddy, you can't argue with success. Good luck paddling up river. Stick to the subject from now, try not to be rude, and and control your mouth. Now I'm done.

crzymow
04-10-2005, 12:11 AM
well bobbygedd what is price then?????? u asked us what we would charge, what is your rate????? you said that you had one, so give it up

jedMeister
04-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Why do you pose these questions to the panel when you all ready have a price in mind? For kicks? To see what a guy should do it for, besides you? Or is the fact that the only thing you have going for you is the 9 billion posts you have on this site?

You probably have 13 accounts and tell everybody you have 200
If I'm wrong I'm sorry , but instead of posting terrible questions on this site all day long just to get a reaction (from dumb asses like me for even responding to your thread), should you not be working, or telling your workers what to do?

The more posts on this great site = less work = Bobby G = great typer.

fga
04-10-2005, 08:15 AM
bob, i'd have tolook at the property to get a handle on how big it is. i was never good at imagining in my head a certaim square footage. i know 500 on a skid of sod, but it's still hard for me to get an accurate layout in my head.

that said, as a rule of thumb here, whatever you get for the monthly service, gets atleast doubled, and that's the one time thatch price. if your saying it requires 2 shots and removal fropm the property, you'd have top add to it obviously. i just leave everything in bags for the sanitation and take nothing away.

dishboy
04-10-2005, 08:47 AM

I have a question for you Booby, just how long does it take a worm to drag a leaf down a hole?

BTW nice troll!

fga
04-10-2005, 09:45 AM
my price? i get $175 for that. alone, 1.5 hrs stop to go. .
that sound too cheap my man.. 4000 sqft.
time is irrelevant, although that much for 1.5 is great.

i just did a thatch job, maybe at most 1500-2000, at the very most, and i got easily $150. i blew out some leaves, a bag or 2, but still. i think you can get more. unless the market varies in that department, with clean ups.

fga
04-10-2005, 09:56 AM
here's one that i have to bring back after their dog and kids destroyed it. i just had to thatch this, then they had some seed they where going to put down. got $55 for this, approximately 6' x 11'. this is taken from the neighbors porch, a friend of mine.

coastallandscapesolutions
04-10-2005, 09:58 AM

$125.00 - one pass and use the bagger attachment on the BlueBird power rake. One hour.

prizeprop
04-10-2005, 10:34 AM
I have a question. How much does a thatcher cost purchased? Rented?

bobbygedd
04-10-2005, 11:05 AM
i have a used thatcher, bought it with a brand new engine, for $250. wow adam, i'm a lowballer? what, has become of my life :cry: :cry:

sildoc
04-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I have a question. How much does a thatcher cost purchased? Rented?
Used thatcher and cost me 425 shipped. To rent for 2hrs is 35 and the day is 95.
I paid for my thatcher the week I bought it. It is worth having one and not spending time running to the rental yard to rent one. that in itself is worth 425 to me. Same with my aerator.

trying 2b organic
04-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Is it ever ok to dethatch and not remove? What would happen if you put seed on top of it? Would it break down and provide a good seed bed?

Also, I use 21's, can I use them to bag thatch. Do you Always overseed when you dethatch. Would you be remiss not too? ty

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-10-2005, 09:14 PM
Since we are on De-Thatchers, has anyone ever used the Blue Bird PR22 with bagger?

coastallandscapesolutions
04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Since we are on De-Thatchers, has anyone ever used the Blue Bird PR22 with bagger?

Yup. Just got it and damn I like it. Works great!

fga
04-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Is it ever ok to dethatch and not remove? What would happen if you put seed on top of it? Would it break down and provide a good seed bed?

Also, I use 21's, can I use them to bag thatch. Do you Always overseed when you dethatch. Would you be remiss not too? tyi use 21's also. it depends on how deep you go. if you don't go too deep, you can suck it up. otherwise just use the blowers and some rakes and make some quick piles.. then fly through the mowing.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Yup. Just got it and damn I like it. Works great!

Does it back everything it gets or is there a final pass with the mower left?

sildoc
04-11-2005, 01:51 AM
Does it back everything it gets or is there a final pass with the mower left?
If it is like the one I have You have to rake or mow just a bit. Now if the bag is full they there is a whole lot to pick up. Just make sure you empty the bag. i found that I will save about 20% give or take by emptying the bag into a wheel barrow that is close rather than raking what is left. Good luck.