PDA

View Full Version : 50 yd. mulch job?

mo-fleet
04-08-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm sure it's going to be close. I didn't figure in a few trees, but when I added up the sqaure footage and it came up over 5000 s.f. I almost paniced. See, this is a job for a new customer that has 3 other big accounts that go with it. This job being the biggest. If I fail, I will loose all the jobs. Including 3 nice sized lawns. The guy seems to not be worried about cost, but he wants the same company doing all the work. So I can't sub anything. What I'm getting at is this; I'm up to my eye balls in mowing as it is. But I can handle it. This extra mulching though is what worries me. I know this will be a 2-3 day job at most. But I can only give 1 day a week for mulching. I'm afraid to tell him it will take 3 weeks to mulch his property. Anyone have suggestions other than counting this customer an "I almost had"?

lewdo
04-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Friends or relatiives want to make any extra money? That's what I do alot. Recruit friends and relatives and then pay them nicely. You'll find if you take care of them, they will be more ap to help you in a pinch.

TURF DOCTOR
04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
That's what solo operaters get in to, wait till you get sick or hurt who's going to do your job.

Shelman Yard works
04-08-2005, 10:57 PM
If I needed to get something done in 1 day, I would call up a minuteman or labor for hire place and get some guys their ASAP. They have some really good rates. This way you donít get behind and you get the other jobs. If you get some dead beats that wonít work just call the place and tell them to send you someone to replace this dead beat.

AlbeLawn
04-09-2005, 09:20 PM
find a bark blower in your area and hire them it will take them less then one day if it is preped and all you have to do is be on the property while they are doing the work. you will still make money and it will take a day

wojo23323
04-09-2005, 09:54 PM
Call a Temp agency.

Turfdude
04-09-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm sure it's going to be close. I didn't figure in a few trees, but when I added up the sqaure footage and it came up over 5000 s.f. I almost paniced. See, this is a job for a new customer that has 3 other big accounts that go with it. This job being the biggest. If I fail, I will loose all the jobs. Including 3 nice sized lawns. The guy seems to not be worried about cost, but he wants the same company doing all the work. So I can't sub anything. What I'm getting at is this; I'm up to my eye balls in mowing as it is. But I can handle it. This extra mulching though is what worries me. I know this will be a 2-3 day job at most. But I can only give 1 day a week for mulching. I'm afraid to tell him it will take 3 weeks to mulch his property. Anyone have suggestions other than counting this customer an "I almost had"?

Here's the deal-e-o You do all of the prep and contact a mulch blowing company to do the install. Rent a bed edger for a day if you hae to to cut all of the beds. You get the job (plus 2 others) expand your business and hire some help. Welcome to the world of headaches.

Green Pastures
04-09-2005, 10:43 PM
I did 45 yards in a day with 1 employee and 2, two wheeled wheelbarrows.

You and a couple of guy's should be able to do 50 in a day no sweat.

Shoot I just did 10 yards today by myself and my dog in a few hours.

Groundcover Solutions
04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
Well I did see that you said you could not sub out the work!? I don't fully understand why, you are still doing the job it will also be on one bill so talk to the guy about the sub work. Then after you get the ok call up the local mulch blowing co. and they will have it done in no time. With our crews we don't even need any one on site we just need a little map on where to put the material and where not to. But it is usualy pretty self explanitory. So look for a mulch blowing company in your area. you can also contact them online at www.mulchblowing.com

Todd's lawncare
04-10-2005, 12:27 AM
He just don't wanna have to pay 3 4 5 different company for the same thing .
Friends and family would work as many have said . if not give them to me i can handle it !!!!

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 09:36 AM
How deep do you plan to lay the mulch? At the amount you are saying you need for 5,000 sq. feet, you will be laying it 3" deep.

i_plant_art
04-10-2005, 03:05 PM
use a labor company put ur shirts on them, have the mulch delivered knock it out in one day

northwest lawn
04-10-2005, 10:16 PM
with one person wheeling, one person loading, and one person spreading i can lay ten in less than a hour