PDA

View Full Version : Another Overdig

mbella
04-08-2005, 11:15 PM
One of our first jobs of the season and we hit the weakest soil I've ever worked in. We are installing three steps and a patio. We began the excavation on Wednesday. Wednesday morning my foreman calls and says, "We have a problem." The soil was extremely weak at the normal excavation. I tell him to go to 4', there is enough money in the job. He hits 4' and calls me. "Mike, we're at 4' and no change." I go out to the job and jump into the hole. My feet sunk about three inches. I grabbed a shovel and dug in. I dug full depth of the shovel, at 4', like butter. we wound up going 9' (under the steps.) Anybody else have an overdig problem already this year?

Rex Mann
04-09-2005, 01:32 AM
Mike,

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. No overdig problems here in Phoenix this year.....knock-on-wood.

However, we have a line in our contract:

Any excavation needed outside the normal scope of comparable projects will be billed as additional time and materials

has saved my profit a couple of times.

Hope everything works out.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com (http://paversinstalled.com)

Residential Recreation
04-09-2005, 02:30 AM
i hope you ment 4" inches not 4' feet

mbella
04-09-2005, 09:17 AM
i hope you ment 4" inches not 4' feet

Four Feet......

mbella
04-09-2005, 09:25 AM
Rex, we had the money in this one to go 4' (customer changed pavers and had a $400.00 credit) without speaking with the homeowner. However, after 4' and no luck I had to speak with her about the extra charge for time and materials to complete the overdig. I offered her the number of the engineer we work with as well as a phone number for a representative of the block manufacturer in case she wanted a second or third opinion.

kootoomootoo
04-10-2005, 01:45 AM
4' ....holy cow....how new is this house?

mbella
04-10-2005, 11:47 AM
4' ....holy cow....how new is this house?

Five years old

kris
04-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I feel for ya Mike .. I find it's very uncomfortable asking Customers for more money part way into the project .

mbella
04-10-2005, 01:22 PM
I feel for ya Mike .. I find it's very uncomfortable asking Customers for more money part way into the project .

Absolutely Kris. I don't like it either. However, I'm not running a charity, so there is no alternative. That's why I explain why I feel it is necessary and offer second and third party verification.

kris
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM
Oh no ..Im not blaming you ...was just sharing my feekings on having to do that.
I ran into it when we were doing a a patio last season ..... old farmers field at a new place in the country ...must have been at least 2-3' of good topsoil before we hit acceptable sub base.

mbella
04-10-2005, 01:37 PM
No problem Kris, I know what you meant. I always explain the possibility of having to dig deeper and the cost, but it sucks when you actually have to do it. Not only because you have to charge more, but it delays every job after that follows.

mbella
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM
BTW, good to see you back Kris.

sheshovel
04-11-2005, 01:26 PM
What did you hit at 9'I'm curious,did you hit base then or was it still mushy?

Ideal Lwns & Landscp
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
We just had the same problem here today. At the foundation of the house we had to dig about 6 feet down in a 6'x6' square. we had to reroute the gutter drains to a new location. The rains and snow have saturated the ground here. only good thing is that is was easy to dig.

mbella
04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
What did you hit at 9'I'm curious,did you hit base then or was it still mushy?

We hit virgin subsoil.

zedosix
04-11-2005, 11:10 PM
Are you guys using a geo-textile under your crushed stone, just curious.

mbella
04-11-2005, 11:38 PM
Are you guys using a geo-textile under your crushed stone, just curious.

Yes, on all applications.