PDA

View Full Version : job done and she will not pay!

gil
04-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I learned my lesson. I did some jobs for a customer and everything went well until last month when I did a $90 job for this customer almost 1 month ago. I sent her the invoice twice and finally a final letter saying If i didn't get a check by next week her account will be closed and I will no longer take care of her property. I know she is not going to pay because I didn't offer her a contract. :angry: Unfortunately I can't claim anything because there is nothing written in paper. Today I've learned: ALWAYS GET A CONTRACT FROM A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER. (She will be sorry next winter if she gets one of those 25" snow storms and nobody plowed her driveway :D :D )

StealthDT
04-09-2005, 12:13 AM
Got round up?

Todd's lawncare
04-09-2005, 12:18 AM
I learned my lesson. I did some jobs for a customer and everything went well until last month when I did a $90 job for this customer almost 1 month ago. I sent her the invoice twice and finally a final letter saying If i didn't get a check by next week her account will be closed and I will no longer take care of her property. I know she is not going to pay because I didn't offer her a contract. :angry: Unfortunately I can't claim anything because there is nothing written in paper. Today I've learned: ALWAYS GET A CONTRACT FROM A POTENTIAL CUSTOMER. (She will be sorry next winter if she gets one of those 25" snow storms and nobody plowed her driveway :D :D )
Does any one think people might fall on some hard time . i do see you point tho but make phone contact with her/him . Have you ever been late with a bill ? did you not have money to pay this at any time in your life this is not just for you but every one ? I feel better when i get ****** by someone i don't know what kills me is when it's family that ***** ya

language

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-09-2005, 12:30 AM
Does any one think people might fall on some hard time . i do see you point tho but make phone contact with her/him . Have you ever been late with a bill ? did you not have money to pay this at any time in your life this is not just for you but every one ?

Yes but then I don't owe me money and the customer does. I could care less if someone is on hard times or not, you asked for work to be done you better damn well be paying when I complete the job.

Green Quality
04-09-2005, 12:31 AM
well see in your state, how a contract is defined,verbal contract are as good as written,take a look! also you can write this as a lost on your 2005 tax return next year! payup

Todd's lawncare
04-09-2005, 12:31 AM
Yes but then I don't owe me money and the customer does. I could care less if someone is on hard times or not, you asked for work to be done you better damn well be paying when I complete the job.
you should ahve said NO not yes

Charles
04-09-2005, 07:11 AM
A big part of this job is being a bill collector. YOu are giving up to easy. Get over there and hound the woman until she pays you or moves to get away from you lol

Kickin Your Grass
04-09-2005, 07:15 AM
Have you ever heard of a workers lean?

Put a lean against her house. Might cost you 100.00 to do this but you will get all your money back plus late charges when she tries to sell her house.

crawdad
04-09-2005, 07:17 AM
A big part of this job is being a bill collector. YOu are giving up to easy. Get over there and hound the woman until she pays you or moves to get away from you lol
Visit when she has company. Be polite. You will get paid.
Crawdad

edit-if that doesn't work, do like Charles says, and hound her.

rodfather
04-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Send bg over with his shovel...that should convince her.

Charles
04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
Visit when she has company. Be polite. You will get paid.
Crawdad

Yes I have done this before and it works like a charm. I am always polite too but relentless.
If the person is a business owner, I will go into their business and quietly and politely ask for my money--just far away enough from his or her employees. With the hint that I could get more vocal lol

bobbygedd
04-09-2005, 08:08 AM
see that, you are begging for trouble if you work without a contract. what are gonna do about this? NOTHING! that's what you're gonna do. you people will never learn. lawn business owners lose hundreds and thousands a year because people flat out do not respect the lawnboy enough to pay him, or have fear of anything that may happen if they don't pay him, and why would they respect you? most of you are still STUPID ENOUGH to do business on a handshake! yes, FEAR, I SAID FEAR. about 35% of clientelle will pay because they are decent people, respect you, and appreciate the service. 60% will pay because of FEAR! they have a FEAR of being taken to court, having thier credit screwed up, FEAR of a face to face confrontation with a midget and his shovel. the other 5% have no fear, they are the lowest life form on this planet, they have no fear, no pride, no heart, no guts either when push really comes to shove. let's just look at the facts, our very own rodfather was beat out of $11,000 last year! my friend who owns a big operation lost over 10 grand. my other buddy who just started last year lost over 2 grand between 3 different clients. is it time to wise up? no contract, no work! we have a right to protect ourselves and our children

Runner
04-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Gil. I think you're jumping th gun just a little bit, here. It hasn't even been 30 days overdue, yet. Sometimes, patience is a virtue.

gil
04-09-2005, 11:51 AM
you are right Runner. I will give her 15 more days and if nothing happens I will take further action agains her. It kills me to do a job and then the customer simply pretends nothing happened. :realmad:

Duramax99
04-09-2005, 12:00 PM
What type of work was it? Can you undue it? Chalk it up as a learning experience and write it off. Next time use a contract. Then you can go to work.

gil
04-09-2005, 11:11 PM
there is nothing I can do now. The job is already done but there will be more stuff to do anyway. But I am not going to be the one doing it, that is for sure. The grass will be growing like crazy and it is funny, it will keep growing and she is going to have a big mess. :D

stumper1620
04-09-2005, 11:38 PM
If she has been a good customer up to now, offer to split the bill up into 3 payments of 30 bucks each + a small fee say 5 bucks or so, money has a tendency to get tight in feb and march for a lot of people, get hold of her and be willing to help her get you paid, most people especiallly good customers want to pay you and are scared to face you to have to let you know they can't afford it right now. patience and understanding can go a long way in getting you paid.

scarr133
04-09-2005, 11:55 PM
You have to be somewhat understanding with the people that don't pay right away, but you can't just turn your back and let them pay you whenever they damn well please. I HAD a customer that I was mowing last year, that lived down the street from me, so I tried to do the neighborly thing and cut him a couple breaks when money was tight. Wellllllllllll, I did his last mowings in October, while all my other customers I finished up in November, and I just got paid from this guy about a week ago for last Octobers cuts. Then they guy tries paying me just the cutting amounts and tries getting out of the late fees that started accrueing in November. Moral of the story, this is a business just like any other business. If a customer wants you for the lawn services, why should you treat them any different when collecting your money than credit card companies or any utility company treats them. They don't pay, they get late fees. They still don't pay, services get cut off. They still don't pay, you file a lein against their home. In Indiana, it only costs $12 to put a lien on someone's house for non-payment. Just my $.02.

griffy77
04-10-2005, 01:17 AM
If your licensed you and have a copy of an invoice and if you have any witnesses that you cut her lawn you dont need a contract. First send a certified letter to her warning that you will take legal actions if she doesnt pay within 10 business days. Then you file with small claims court if she doesnt show our pay the court will order her to pay plus court fees. Also she will be turned into the credit bureau. I have had this same problem and had to take them to small claims court it took a little while but they were embarrassed but ended up paying me in the end. If you dont want to deal with this route you can always burn her yard up with gasoline heee he.

yamadooski
04-10-2005, 08:22 AM
Have you ever heard of a workers lean?

Put a lean against her house. Might cost you 100.00 to do this but you will get all your money back plus late charges when she tries to sell her house.

And you can charge interest too.

lawncarepros2004
04-10-2005, 11:15 AM
small price payed for the wisdom gained on this one.

slicksilverado01
04-10-2005, 11:22 AM
Gil. I think you're jumping th gun just a little bit, here. It hasn't even been 30 days overdue, yet. Sometimes, patience is a virtue.

I have a few customers that pay every 30 days after getting the bill... I even had some people tell me that they thought that they had to wait 30 days to send the check :dizzy:

nobagger
04-10-2005, 07:26 PM
Written contract, Written contract, Written contract!!!!!
Just have a minor mishap with some vegitation killer. :realmad: payup

Woody82986
04-10-2005, 07:39 PM
I have one client who was habituallt 20 or so days late with payment last year. I never really cared that he was late because I could always count on it being almost 20 days late every month. This season I started sending out his invoice 20 days early, and to my success it arrive with the rest of them now.

dwc
04-10-2005, 11:19 PM
I would check on filing a mechanic's lein or whatever it is called in your state. It's easy to do and you will get paid immediately by many and eventually by others. Plus it will get reported to their credit report. I would hate to go get a new car and the finance guy ask me what this lein on my credit of $90 is and I have to say oh yeah, I tried to pull a fast one on the lawn boy.