PDA

View Full Version : Pricing idea what do you think

Nathan 281
04-09-2005, 01:01 AM
I get a lot of people who want quotes over the phone and dont want me comming out so what do you think

less than 10,000 $25 10-15 $30 15-20 $35

Total lot size includes drive way, house, pool........

I know their are other factors but just as something general would this work for you would you need more or take less?

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-09-2005, 01:09 AM
Never give a price without seeing the lawn. If the customer doesn't want you coming out to their property then you don't wanna go out and cut it.

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-09-2005, 01:19 AM
I don't give quotes over the phone. I could go to the county property site and get some info on the property but I have to actually see it to price it right.
Also, I find that people who don't want you to go to their property are either
1) another LCO fishing for prices
2) someone with some obstacle on their lawn they don't want you to consider when you bid
or 3) just a total cheapazz who is simply looking for the lowest price. I don't have time for them.
As a matter of fact, today I had a lady (an obviously older lady) call and wanted a quote on a spring lawn cleanup. She simply wanted to know what I charge for cleaning up an average yard. I had to explain to her that the average yard doesn't exist. Getting her address was like pulling teeth. Finally got it from her but she admitted she was price shopping and that if she needed me to look at her property, she would call back.
I looked it up and she happens to be the owner of one of the most successful fur and clothing store in 5 counties and has a $500,000.00 home.
Someone like this, 'commando shopping' over the phone. Unbelievable.
I probably lost that one. Shoulda bid $25.00 to make sure I got it. :cry:
Naw. What I DID do :drinkup: was a lot more rewarding.

jbell113
04-09-2005, 01:44 AM
I assume the 10,000 was refering to lawn sq. footage. They are not going to know the sq. footage of there lawn and if they guess and you give a quote and it turns out to be more than they told you your either stuck mowing for that price or try to renegotiate and they so no then you have wasted your time. Dont do it over the phone.

Anthony-MB
04-09-2005, 01:56 AM
oohh I hate over the phone estimates, even if you have already set up pricing for size of lawn, there still are situations that will have cause for a higher price. The extra trimming, edging (do they have sidewalk - yes no)
plus a little hill to them is really a major incline. dog waste

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-09-2005, 08:04 AM
you will burn yourself quoting prices without seeing the property...........

bcg
04-09-2005, 09:58 AM
What you're suggesting is EXACTLY what JustMowIt is doing. If you can look up the lot size on your County Appraisal District web site (or some other official site) then go for it. We've been modifying our business to more closely model what JustMowIt is doing as well (only taking credit cards, setting up service over the phone, charging more for 1 time mows, etc.) and I have to be honest, it's working and quite well. Don't let these guys discourage you, they told JustMowIt his ideas would never work also and he did $1.4m in sales last year, I think.

BTW - you're pricing exaclty reflects what I'm doing. I charge $10 more if they want bi-weekly cuts and another $5 on top of that if they want a 1 time cut. If the yard is overgrown, we tell them that even if they are going to do at least 5 mows (the minimum to get the weekly or bi-weekly price) the first cut will be at least the 1 time price and may be as much as 2 - 3 times that amount, depending on how overgrown it is. We've not had any problems with that yet and since we get credit card numbers before we go out, we have few problems with collection. We have had an occasion where a card was declined so now we authorize them before we do the service and capture that authorization after we're done.

LawnsRUsInc.
04-09-2005, 09:59 AM
just say its between 25 and 50 $ now would you like us to come out? Some people just dont know what a lawn service cost them.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Never give a quote over the phone. You will learn the hard way when you get there and go to mow and realize they lied about the size, the big ass hill with an impossible slope, the dinky gate to the back yard, yada yada yada. Always go see the property for the estimate and if they only want a quote over the phone, they are usually price shoppers, the competition, or a PITA.

yrdandgardenhandyman
04-09-2005, 01:10 PM
What you're suggesting is EXACTLY what JustMowIt is doing.

I think that may work ok in that area where the properties are consistant and you have a crew to do it but for a solo, it's not good. The props around here vary greatly from block to block.