PDA

View Full Version : Some things I have done...

Bull
04-09-2005, 03:50 AM
Here are just a few things I have done this year to make me a little more efficient, safe and happier.

1) Built a device to slip over my blades while removing them for sharpening, leaves both hands free and feels safer.

2) I usually back my walk behind to the back of my trailer, tilt it backwards so that cleaning the deck is easier. This gives more clearance on the front end. I have a piece of chain about 18" long mounted on my gate that I hook over the handle on my mower to make sure it never falls back down while I'm cleaning it out or changing blades.

3) Mounted my hedge trimmer on the top rail of my trailer. The Stihl has a hole molded into the bottom part of the handle. With the trimmer sitting on the angle iron rail of my trailer I drilled a hole through the angle and now a master lock goes right through there. The blade portion stays in place using a heavy duty tie wrap.

4) Bought a pair of chaps to use while trimming. Keeps 90% of the grass of of my legs / pants and no more dinged legs, grass in shoes, etc.

5) Bought a new Echo 651 trimmer which is awesome. Saves a lot of time over my smaller one.

6) Measured off enough trimmer line to refill my spool while away from the truck. I coiled it up and wrapped a little electrical tape around it to keep it together. Then I pulled off the spark plug wire, slipped it through the coil of line and placed it back on the spark plug.

You know sometimes little things just make you feel better.

Bull
04-10-2005, 01:41 AM
Great ideas Bull. I think I may implement a few of those myself.

Envy Lawn Service
04-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Those ARE some pretty slick ideas there....

Eddie B
04-10-2005, 06:47 AM
When re-loading my echo trimmer I pull 2 arm-lengths off of the reel. This fills the spool to the right amount every time. No need to measure! Thanks for the ideas... especially the walk-behind and blade change deal.

Bull
04-10-2005, 07:25 AM
I meant to say 651 blower by Echo not trimmer. As one of my helpers used to say "My Bad".

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Great idea with the trimmer line. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

DLS1
04-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Here are just a few things I have done this year to make me a little more efficient, safe and happier.

1) Built a device to slip over my blades while removing them for sharpening, leaves both hands free and feels safer.

Hustler dealers sells a blade block for $10 - $13. Search for blade block in Hustler forum and they have a picture of one.

coastallandscapesolutions
04-10-2005, 12:00 PM
AWESOME ideas.... some of them are so simple you just sit and think "why have I not been doing that before....... Love the line around the spark plug. Going to set it up right now.

Woody82986
04-10-2005, 02:22 PM
When I get a new spool of line I spend an hour or so, cutting the line up to the proper length I need to re-fill my trimmer spool. When I get it all cut up and into individual wrapped up spools I put two pieces of duct tape around the spools to keep them together and hang them on one of my empty trimmer racks. Every time I take my trimmer out of the rack I grap a replacement spool in case it runs out while I am out trimming. This has saved me alot of time by not having to walk back to my truck every time I run out of line. I guess I just take what you do Bull, one step further and go ahead and cut up alot of line ahead of time.