PDA

View Full Version : Trying to chose a mower need a little help

joeg2246
04-09-2005, 07:24 AM
I am currently looking at 3 mowers and trying to come to a decision. If I could get some advice from you guys to use I would appreciate it. I am a part timer with the desire to accumulate 15 to 20 accounts. I have 7 now and want to increase my productivity by going to a rider.
The 3 mowers are
Toro 740 Pro Value 48" with a 19hp Kawi. $6200
Scag Tiger Cub 48" with 19hp Kawi $6200
Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle 44" with 20hp Kohler $5300

I have selected my favorite of the 3 but being a walk behind guy up til now would sure like to hear from the guys that use the riders.

I had been thinking Wright or Great Dane but after driving a couple of the riders have decided the rider is the way for me.

Thanks for any help!!!

Joe

Tider6972
04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Where do you plan to work, joeg? West Cocoa, Port St. John with large lots will call for a larger mower with a wider deck, canal lots and riverfronts a smaller, more manuverable mower. If you've got a good WB, perhaps you are set for the smaller areas with their fruit trees and beds?

Fantasy Lawns in MI uses some Walkers, but they are expensive and 'high maintenance' mowers.

As for ZTRs, the Dixie or the Scagg are good, not familiar with the Toro model you mention. If you are open to other brands, Hustler and eXmark are available there .

Lawnsite member "Precision" is there in Cocoa, and from his posts here is a very knowledgeable and professional LCO as well as a good businessman. I'm betting he would be glad to offer you some excellent advise as to mowers, dealers, etc

Good luck !

Spirit Lanwcare
04-09-2005, 04:27 PM
Of the 3 listed..

Scag for sure!

brinlee lawn
04-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Of the three I would take the chopper.

Eddie B
04-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Which dealer is the closest and the most supportive?

nobagger
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Can you justify a rider for $6500.00 for 15 to 20 residential accounts? Unless 5 out of the 15 lawns are more than a couple of acers then why bother. Those prices seem a little low to me. I was bored one day and was pricing riders, Scagg, Exmark and Hustlers and they all were well over 7k for a 60" deck machine, I don't know what you were looking at size wize. I have about that many accounts and I couldn't justify spending 7k on something that my w/b's are capable of doing in maybe a matter of a few minutes difference. But this is my opinion only, if it were me I would find an Exmark! LOL. I am partial to them.

joeg2246
04-09-2005, 10:09 PM
The Scag and Toro are the same dealer very good people to do business with. I went and looked a little closer at the Dixie Chopper and wasn't real happy with the deck adjustment and a couple of other things too and have kinda decided against it. The Chopper dealer said it came with a one year warranty so the Toro and the Scag are way ahead of it in that respect.

NOBAGGER- I guess you are right about the justification process but I wanted to decrease my mowing time and help a bit with the fatigue factor too. The prices of $6200 + tax is correct. The dealer wrote everything down for me. Also 2 of my accounts now are both over an acre. Lot of time mowing with my WB Encore 36" beltdrive.
PS: Toro owns Exmark

joeg2246
04-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Tider I live in Port St John but am going to concentrate in the Viera area. Lots of business there. I'll look for Precision. Thanks for the tip!

joeg2246
04-12-2005, 12:55 AM
I demoed the Toro today and was really impressed. The 19 Kawisaki seemed to be more than enough power to do the number of accounts I plan to do. The dealer i am going to do business with is a Toro/Scag dealer so I am going to try the Scag next Monday.