PDA

View Full Version : Velkes

jsteveharris
01-06-2000, 02:33 PM
I just bought a Scag Ultimate Hydro 48&quot; with the single wheel velke. This seems to work well but I know there are many other sulkies out on the market. Has anyone had any complaints or problems with this single wheel design and would you recommend any others. I weigh 220lbs so I thought about going to the 2 wheel model that velke has now.<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

Lazer
01-06-2000, 02:40 PM
Jungle Wheels.<p>They're better than the Velke 2 wheel because the tires are bigger. You're a big guy like me and won't like that 1 wheel velke when the ground gets soft.<p>Any 2 wheel will be more satisfactory than the orginal velke. I like the way 2wheels pattern the lawn better.

Eric ELM
01-06-2000, 03:17 PM
Steve, Don't do like this one Idiot I know. I could write a book on this guy. He noticed one wet rainy spring day as he loaded up his JD with a single wheel Velke, that he had a flat tire on it. Duh He had left a nice groove with his 235 body pushing down on it. He always notices things after he is done, not while he is mowing. He noticed he had forgotten to put the dipstick back in his new Viper after mowing two lawns too. I could go on and on, but I won't. <p>----------<br>Eric@ELM<br>http://pages.prodigy.net/eric.erickson/index.html

ant
01-06-2000, 04:17 PM
steve i use the 1 wheel i like it i am about 260 lbs. and when the ground is wet the wheel goes so far down in the ground that i strike oil. before i used to walk behind the mechine i weigh 210 . if you use it all day grease it two or more times per day keep a spare tire/rim/bushings/cotter pin in your truck i did away with the air tires used the solid tire and liked them.

Roger
01-07-2000, 07:12 AM
I have a single wheel Velke, behind a 36&quot; Exmark wb. I don't use it on really nice lawns - I don't want that single track down the middle. I would like to try a two wheel design, but am concerned that they don't permit tight turns that a hydro wb permits. I might look at some two wheeled models before the season starts - anybody have good suggestions? Some places I cut are rather scrappy and the yards are very rough. A two wheeler might make the ride easier.<p>I weigh about 165, so the single wheel isn't a problem in cutting into the turf. I have had several flat tires because of thorns penetrating the tire. I should try a sealant to eliminate this problem because it takes time, and a repair is usually $10. And, don't take the repair to the local tire shop, they don't know what to do with that little wheel!

JML
01-07-2000, 09:44 AM
I don't like the single wheels because of the ugly line that they leave in the center of the mower lines. I prefer Lescos velky because it's wheels line up with the mowers rear wheels...

Roger
01-07-2000, 12:48 PM
JLM, I've heard good things elsewhere about the Lesco sulky. Do the wheels each pivot, enabling you to turn the sharp turns? Does the entire unit turn with the mower, or does it pivot at the hitchpoint, just like a truck/trailer? I've seen some that pivot at the hitch point, and they seem far to cumbersome - great for straight paths, but great hinderence when making turns. Does it mount/dismount easily from the mower?<p>Thanks, Roger

JML
01-07-2000, 04:52 PM
Roger, yes each wheel does pivot and each wheel has its own grease point.. The Velkes turns with the mower and is not cumbersome at all.. thanks

ZYAL8R
01-07-2000, 05:18 PM
try the pro-slide, i have used it behind 2 of my scag walk behinds. a hydro and a belt drive... it works great and is excellent for leaving good lines.<br>the best of all u dont have to take it off if you dont need it, just step off and it retracts forward against the machine.<br>it cost a little more but i think it's great

jsteveharris
01-07-2000, 05:22 PM
Who makes the proslide and can it be purchased online? Is there any sites that I can see a picture of it?<br>Thanks<p>----------<br>Steve Harris<br>From The Ground Up Landscaping

ZYAL8R
01-07-2000, 05:30 PM
there was a pic of it on the honda commercial mower web site somewhere....<br>not sure if proslide has a web site of there own...

Lazer
01-08-2000, 04:46 AM
Proslides do leave sweet lines and are convienent, but they have a few drawbacks:<br>1.) If you do a lot of commercial site where you travel across pavement a lot, the plastic bottom really get beat up. (and you have a rough ride)<br>2.) You can't back-up with them. Most operators get off when backing up, but for some folks this is a drawback.<br>3.) They've had some liability concerns when stopping and the platform sliding under the bottom of the mower and exposing your feet to the running belts under there. Parhaps they've corrected this with new models, I'm not sure.<p>My observations are to get a two wheel and learn to back-up with it. We back-up trailers all day long, it's 2nd nature to most operators. As far as tires go: Foam fill them! If they're greased, they last 3 years (2000 hours or so) with never having to mess with anything.

n y snow pros
01-09-2000, 07:33 AM
We use to have 6 exmark 52&quot; hydro walkbehinds with 25hp kohlers.We used both proslide and jungle wheels,the proslides gave a great touch to the lines in the lawns we cut and were cheaper in price than the jungle wheels.The dangers far out wieghed the good look of the lawn,we had 4 proslides and 3 injured operators due to the slide retracting under the mower when stopping on a hill or stopping on a wet surface.If you are a large guy i would stay away from them and if you value your toes you will take this advice.The jungle wheels worked great and we like them.We do have 2 proslides for sale,i am going to throw them out pretty soon.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

jeffclc
01-10-2000, 01:50 PM
I would not buy a sulky that I could not back up easlt. I have a Havner sulky. It is a copy of a velky, but you cannot back up. This is a major pain in the neck, as you have to hop off, and hang the thing from the handlebars.<p>I would look at a velky for a one wheel, and for a two wheel, look at Rocket wheels, Lesco/MTD, and the 2 wheel velky. You can back up with all of these.<p>I would not own a Jungle wheels, as they require you to hop off and hand the thing from the handlebars, to back up. Put this on a hydro mower, and you just defeated the manuveribility of a hydro mower.

Lazer
01-10-2000, 02:08 PM
Jeff,<br>You back up the mower standing right on the machine. Your operators can back it up as fast as the machine will go. If they can't do that in 5 minutes practice, I certainly wouldn't have them driving my trucks with large trailers around town.<p>

jeffclc
01-10-2000, 02:22 PM
Lazer<br>Are you talking about jungle wheels or the Lesco type? <p>If jungle wheels, my setup is similar, and I find it very troublesome to back up. I can back up trailers all day long, and come within an inch of the side of a building by only looking out my mirrors, and feel confident in doing so, but after two years, I still find backing up a sulky that piviots without hoping off troublesome.

Lazer
01-10-2000, 02:27 PM
Wow. Everybody's got their preferences. Our guys like the Jungle Wheels and never hook them up. They back-up frequently (I'm not sure we even have hooks on all our machines.) We used to have the Castor-wheel type 4 years ago and left the decision up to my formen. They all opted for the Jungle Wheels.

n y snow pros
01-10-2000, 04:40 PM
Lazer you are on the money my guys backup all day long on jungle wheels and we also donot hook up the wheels,and they are much safer than proslides.<p>----------<br>J PARKER<br>914-485-4200

columbiaplower
05-09-2000, 03:44 PM
i have a 1 wheel velke, is great. I put the axle in the low setting and it stipes great because the platform pushes all the grass in the same direction. The one wheeld is the most maneverable sulky on the market with rocket wheels second. You can get close to anything (i.e.curving flowerbeds)I have the new velke i dont know if its different than your alls.<p>-Nick<p>ps NY SNOW PROS do u still have the proslides? a friend is very interestd <p>pps He just wount listen to me

little green guy
05-09-2000, 10:41 PM
I just bought a two wheel velke and i think it's great. I went for the two wheel because I don't like the exta line from the one wheel.

yardsmith
05-09-2000, 11:41 PM
I know of guys that have gotten their ankles broken from Velke's.<br>I own the Lesco type from cub cadet (yellow version), & love it.<br>Stays right behind the machine, & you stay in the same place, not swinging side to side behind the mower trying to keep your hands in control of your machine. I've used both; Lesco type is far superior. <br>The wheels pivot whille you stay in place, & the wheels follow same width as mower tires (at least for a 48-52&quot; WB) & no sqiggly track in the middle of your stripes.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

jcoat
05-09-2000, 11:46 PM
About the Pro-Slide, I weigh 260 and I'm all there. Does this system do well under that amount of stress? Also, with the bumps and valleys it would seem there would be added stress on the cantilevered design. Just an opinion. Anyone in the &quot;heavy&quot; class use the Pro-Slide?

Orkin Yards
05-10-2000, 12:12 AM
about the proslides, if u'd read the warnings you might could avoid the slide retracting when going down hills, the warning clearly says that...i love my proslide and if you really are thinking about &quot;throwing&quot; them out i'll pay the shipping to get them to MS<br>email me!

Mowman
05-10-2000, 09:33 PM
Steve, the address for the Pro-Slide is novaecorp.com I think they cost about $300.00. They leave no wheel marks just nice stripes. Hope this helps. Mowman