PDA

View Full Version : Another What would you do. On dead beat.

sildoc
04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
OK. Used Olddebts.com. Did what I needed it to do and that was get a dead beat off of his arsss. Got a call yesterday, asking if we can work it out. He wanted me to come over to his house and discuss the problem. I did not fee that was a good Idea so I said I would meet him in a public place. We meet and he offers me 200 to settle. He owes 300 and some change.
My first response was all or nothing! Period.
So He says well you can take me to court and win, however I only have social security and wont be able to pay. Also I will be going in for surgery next week to remove something. He is old and has cancer, and I know there is not much time left for him(not feeling sorry for him at all but giving you all the details)
My question is do you take the 200 call it good and go on your way?
Or do you go to court?

MMLawn
04-09-2005, 11:11 AM
If he is telling the truth then even if you go to court you will only get a Judgement is all and you will have spent the money up front to file. So for me it is a no brainer as $200 in your right hand is better than $-85 (or whatever the filing fee is where you are) and an uncollectable Judgement in your left.

grassmanvt
04-09-2005, 12:11 PM
Take it and run, I have had some that I would have been overjoyed to collect two-thirds from. Also can't help but feel bad for his situation and at least he is trying to settle with you instead of saying tuff-luck or ducking calls,etc. Just my opinion but grab that offer while it's still on the table.

Tn Lawn Man
04-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Take it and run, I have had some that I would have been overjoyed to collect two-thirds from. Also can't help but feel bad for his situation and at least he is trying to settle with you instead of saying tuff-luck or ducking calls,etc. Just my opinion but grab that offer while it's still on the table.

I agree.

If you don't take the $200 you will likely not see a cent of it.

Just curious, was this a mow only debt or was there other services as well? If it was a mow only debt then how did it get that big? Thanks for the reply. I am trying to hone my billing procedures.

promower
04-09-2005, 03:24 PM
Take the 200 and bill his estate when hes gone.

bobbygedd
04-09-2005, 03:59 PM
he told you a lie. he will be going in for TWO SURGERIES. the second one, to get the shovel removed from his azz. if in fact he will be dying soon, why does he care to settle with you? if he truly wants to "make it right", he can arrange for his exsecutor to pay you in full.

sildoc
04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
I agree.

If you don't take the $200 you will likely not see a cent of it.

Just curious, was this a mow only debt or was there other services as well? If it was a mow only debt then how did it get that big? Thanks for the reply. I am trying to hone my billing procedures.
No Full service account. I bill in 12 = payments. So he stiffed me for November and 1/2 of december before I told him to take a hike and give me my money. That is only 3 mows and a few shrubs trimmed. However I wasn't getting all of what I had comming durring the busy months. That way I still receive the same money year round.

sildoc
04-09-2005, 05:37 PM
Tommarrow I will tell you what I did and what happened. I am just wanting to see what every one else would do.... Maybe I can learn from what you would do and maybe you can get Ideas from what I did.

sildoc
04-09-2005, 05:38 PM
he told you a lie. he will be going in for TWO SURGERIES. the second one, to get the shovel removed from his azz. if in fact he will be dying soon, why does he care to settle with you? if he truly wants to "make it right", he can arrange for his exsecutor to pay you in full.
Not sure???? Maybe the insight that the end is near and he is trying to make it right with the maker???? Not sure what is going through his head.

sildoc
04-10-2005, 11:28 AM
Took the money. Told him I will wait 1 month to drop olddebts.com unless he pays in full before that time. I told him I didn't think it was fair that he was stealing out of my pocket and I think a credit ding was waranted.
He paid in check so we will see if it bounces. If it does I will have his ARRSss.
I usually am not a hard arrs like this however I feel that he has done this with his other services also.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-10-2005, 11:34 AM
Take the 200, its better than -0-. and not having to take off work to go to court is worth the other 100 to me.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 11:36 AM
To me, that's better than going to court. First you have to pay filing fees, miss time from work to go, and sit in court all day. Then if you win, you are only awarded a judgement, and it is your responsibility to collect the money. This means more time and money. Now, I know that some will say it's more about the principles involved, but sometimes you just have to get what you can and cut your losses. Sometimes all the hassle isn't worth it.

grassmanvt
04-10-2005, 11:35 PM
To me, that's better than going to court. First you have to pay filing fees, miss time from work to go, and sit in court all day. Then if you win, you are only awarded a judgement, and it is your responsibility to collect the money. This means more time and money. Now, I know that some will say it's more about the principles involved, but sometimes you just have to get what you can and cut your losses. Sometimes all the hassle isn't worth it.

You said it, don't let that other $100 eat you up, in fact just look at all the time you already have invested in the debate. I'm not trying to stick up for non-pays as I've had my share but you've got to pick your battles carefully, end it here, and maybe even try to end it on a good note with the guy. Remember, no matter how much time and effort you spend on this you will only recover another $100 IF you are lucky. Put that time into replacing that account instead. In other words, my advice is don't trip over a dollar bill to pick up a nickle.

Todd's lawncare
04-11-2005, 12:04 AM
Take it FAST. But you probably blew that offer now so.

sildoc
04-11-2005, 01:56 AM
Take it FAST. But you probably blew that offer now so.
nope sitting in the bank right now. I figure if he stiffs me by canceling the check I will get what I deserve. And he will Also.

YardPro
04-11-2005, 07:10 AM

what a moron..

timinkc
04-12-2005, 10:18 AM
around here you can put a mechanics lien on the property, i have threatend this before... worked everytime. i don't know if it would help you, but for most people the thought of a lien on their house (can't be sold untill it's cleared up) scares them in to paying.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-12-2005, 10:28 AM
If you hadnt settled with him and he dies, wouldnt the estate have to settle with you before the estate could be settled?

sildoc
04-12-2005, 11:02 AM
If you hadnt settled with him and he dies, wouldnt the estate have to settle with you before the estate could be settled?
Only if there was I was an awardee of the court. However I dont want to go to court. As stated before that would be another 90 bucks I am out not to mentiong the time that I don't have right now. If it were winter again I would persue it to the end, but right now I will be loosing out on more money that what it is worth.
That and who ever has the will would have to know about the judgement before hand.

grass_cuttin_fool
04-12-2005, 11:06 AM
I understand, Really in my thinking , If you got enuff to cover your exspense, and the rest is your profit, then you didnt make what you wanted or needed but atleast you salvaged something from it with minimal cost and loss of time.