PDA

View Full Version : My new Bunton WB with ZTR controls. (PICS)

naturescape
04-09-2005, 12:34 PM
So I bought the new Bunton WB with ZTR type controls. The levers are effortless on the hands and wrists.

I have hardly cut yet with it this year, but I'm expecting great results with almost no stress.

Envy Lawn Service
04-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Glad someone finally got some pictures up.
Thanks.

Travis Followell
04-09-2005, 07:40 PM
Good looking mower. Thanks for the pictures.

BMFD92
04-10-2005, 10:05 PM
nice mower. My husqvarna mower has similiar controls.

TURF DOCTOR
04-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Looks good what did you pay.

naturescape
04-10-2005, 11:24 PM
Looks good what did you pay.

These mowers ain't cheap. $5800 / with the fixed deck, would have been $6400 with floating deck. But I think it's the mower to go with.

I demoed the Lesco 48" with similar controls, they sell for $4K, but are not nearly the quality of the Bunton.

Envy Lawn Service
04-10-2005, 11:45 PM
Geezzzzzzzzzzzz

Forget the ZTR controls, you can buy the 48" ZTR for that.

naturescape
04-11-2005, 09:24 AM
Geezzzzzzzzzzzz

Forget the ZTR controls, you can buy the 48" ZTR for that.

I know, they are expensive, but a rider is TOTALLY inappropriate for my properties, yet I love the controls.

KathysLGC
04-11-2005, 09:59 AM
Are those weights on the front of the deck? They almost look like bumpers. That looks like a well built machine.

naturescape
04-11-2005, 10:01 AM
Are those weights on the front of the deck? They almost look like bumpers. That looks like a well built machine.

Yes, although it's still a little light in the front compared to the floating decks I'm used to. Then again, I thought those were too heavy. LOL

BSDeality
04-13-2005, 09:57 PM
what are the paddles on the back tires for?

naturescape
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
what are the paddles on the back tires for?

Parking brake.

KINGjosh
04-13-2005, 10:51 PM
WOW $5800/fixed deck! :dizzy: What size engine?

It looks like a real good machine, and I bet you cant wait to put it to action. but I couldn't pay that much for a wb/fixed deck.
What made you go with Buton over the more popular brands like Exmark and Scag?

What didn't you like about the Lesco 48" floater? I have one, and that thing is awsome. It cuts beautiful, comfortable controls, and its $2600 less than the Buton floater.

naturescape
05-03-2005, 09:46 AM
WOW $5800/fixed deck! :dizzy: What size engine?

It looks like a real good machine, and I bet you cant wait to put it to action. but I couldn't pay that much for a wb/fixed deck.
What made you go with Buton over the more popular brands like Exmark and Scag?

What didn't you like about the Lesco 48" floater? I have one, and that thing is awsome. It cuts beautiful, comfortable controls, and its $2600 less than the Buton floater.

I have had Exmarks, Scags, and Snappers (hydros). They are all way too hard on the hands.

I looked at the Lesco a couple times. I thought they looked and felt and handled very cheaply. The one I demoed started ok, but after a few minutes would not make turns smoothly, and that was on cement.

Floating decks are overrated -- so that companies can get extra $$ for each machine.

Doc Pete
05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
I have had Exmarks, Scags, and Snappers (hydros). They are all way too hard on the hands.

And what turned you off to the Hustler, especially since they are made better and less money???? I'll not bother to mention the control system advantages.
Wondering.....

Are the controls spring loaded to center and you must push to make the machine go forward and backward????

How does the operator safety work??

Since you can't back up without running the risk of sticking the velky plate in the ground, how come you didn't get a caster velky if you want the most out the machine????

thanks,
Pete

gogetter
05-03-2005, 02:12 PM
That's crazy! I like the idea of the controls, but I'd never pay that much for a fixed deck w/b.
Too many other machines out there that are just as good for less money.

You mentioned that ZTR's are inappropriate for your properties, why is that? Hills?

kwelch
05-03-2005, 02:17 PM
Did you make that skid plate for the proslide?

naturescape
05-03-2005, 05:31 PM
And what turned you off to the Hustler, especially since they are made better and less money???? I'll not bother to mention the control system advantages.
Wondering.....

Are the controls spring loaded to center and you must push to make the machine go forward and backward????

How does the operator safety work??

Since you can't back up without running the risk of sticking the velky plate in the ground, how come you didn't get a caster velky if you want the most out the machine????

thanks,
Pete

Well Pete, you and I have discussed the Husler in detail last year. Suffice it to say I hate the way those machines handle, and they leave horrible divots in turf when turning. At least they did for me, whether turning fast or slow or in between.

Operator safety and all other issues are built just like a ZTR rider.

I have a caster velke, I hate it. The Proslide is much better -- smoother ride, striping ability, tucks out of the way.

Not that you need to agree with me on any of this, whatever works for you is great.

naturescape
05-03-2005, 05:33 PM
You mentioned that ZTR's are inappropriate for your properties, why is that? Hills?

Most of my properties are very small, sometimes 2K or 2 1/2K sq. ft. Visibility is the problem with a rider on these properties. I also find a WB with a Proslide much more comfortable.

naturescape
05-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Did you make that skid plate for the proslide?

Yes, I sure did.

Envy Lawn Service
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Most of my properties are very small, sometimes 2K or 2 1/2K sq. ft. Visibility is the problem with a rider on these properties. I also find a WB with a Proslide much more comfortable.

Not knocking your decision here at all. Sounds like you are happy with your purchase and it fits your needs. But I am just curious if you even considered the stander-type mowers? Sounds like you have the niche for one...

Doc Pete
05-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Well Pete, you and I have discussed the Husler in detail last year. Suffice it to say I hate the way those machines handle, and they leave horrible divots in turf when turning. At least they did for me, whether turning fast or slow or in between.

Operator safety and all other issues are built just like a ZTR rider.

I have a caster velke, I hate it. The Proslide is much better -- smoother ride, striping ability, tucks out of the way.

Not that you need to agree with me on any of this, whatever works for you is great.

Whatever works for you, too. I don't understand the safety control. On a ZTR, if you get off the seat, it stops. How does your machine know your not holding the controls?? I assume you must hold something, yes???
thanks,
Pete

naturescape
05-04-2005, 12:24 AM
Not knocking your decision here at all. Sounds like you are happy with your purchase and it fits your needs. But I am just curious if you even considered the stander-type mowers? Sounds like you have the niche for one...

Sure did think about them. I came to the decision the ride on the Proslide was much smoother. Also, standers don't stripe as well.

naturescape
05-04-2005, 12:27 AM
Whatever works for you, too. I don't understand the safety control. On a ZTR, if you get off the seat, it stops. How does your machine know your not holding the controls?? I assume you must hold something, yes???
thanks,
Pete

On the Bunton WB with ZTR controls, you use the controls as on a rider. Push both to go forward, etc. When you let go of the controls, they return to neutral, they are spring loaded - and very comfortable to use.

Doc Pete
05-04-2005, 12:47 AM
On the Bunton WB with ZTR controls, you use the controls as on a rider. Push both to go forward, etc. When you let go of the controls, they return to neutral, they are spring loaded - and very comfortable to use.

OK, so they are like a newer stander. Not bad. Hows the safety work?? Must be something you hold a like pistol grip hydro???
Also, I guess since you've decided on the proslide, you've opted to give away reversing and backwards for the smoother ride. I can sure see that on larger lawns. In fact, it might be nice to have both a castered velky and proslide. I have something simliar with a true WB, and dedicated WB/velky. One's set to walk at 3 mph and the other for 10 mph with velky.
I must admit, every time I use my bagger ZTR, I still like coming backward to my WB/velky better. They all have their good points, though.

christoff
05-04-2005, 03:56 AM
let's see some pictures of cut grass with that machine!!!

naturescape
05-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Hows the safety work?? Must be something you hold a like pistol grip hydro???

Doc,
As soon as you let you of the grips and the machine goes into neutral, that also acts as the safety. If you let go with the blades on, it will stall.

To stop the machine, all you do is hit the PTO switch, and release the levers. Nothing to lock into neutral.

Yes, the levers are set up much like a newer stander. There is a bar that is used as a maximum speed stop, it's friction held, you can just tap it to where you want it.

naturescape
05-04-2005, 09:31 AM

I will post if things in MI ever start growing.
:angry:

From what I've seen so far, it cuts great, discharges great, and seems to outstripe anything else I've used.

Doc Pete
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Doc,
As soon as you let you of the grips and the machine goes into neutral, that also acts as the safety.

Ah, with the springs for neutral that's sound like a good way.
Thanks,
Pete

Doc Pete
05-07-2005, 11:35 PM

Ya know, I need say I absolutely agree with you. It's a shame that Hustler keeps listening to guys that still milk cows by hand :).
I must say, in the stock form, the Hustler WB is a handful to operate. That's why I made the small changes in the steering, showed Hustler, and they laughed.
Funny, but I wonder if guys like yourself say the machine just doesn't feel right, how many guys out there feel the same and just "say nothing and buy another brand".
It's a mystery to me how a company with the knowledge to improve their machines choose not to. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: Oh well, thought I'd just let you know you're correct.
Pete

Envy Lawn Service
05-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Ya know, I need say I absolutely agree with you. It's a shame that Hustler keeps listening to guys that still milk cows by hand :).

It's a mystery to me how a company with the knowledge to improve their machines choose not to. :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:
Pete

Well, now I can certainly agree with you on that. I find all this to be a rather nagging frustration.... Makes me feel like going out to the factory and yelling HELLLLOOOO at the top of my lungs.

In my opinion they are sooo close, yet no cigar. Great people, great service, great build, and great products that would be the undisputed industry stndard out in a league of their own... if only they would adopt a few ideas into there designs... some of which would be so simple...

But nevertheless, they are still an outstanding company from what I see on here.

naturescape
05-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I think Hustler had a great idea for their WB. That is, move one lever, and the wheels counter-rotate. It's just not well executed, and there ARE times when the operator needs to move one tire more than the other, and that's where separate controls are nice.

I REALLY wanted to like the Hustler when I demoed it 2 yrs ago. I thought it would be the way to go, but it just wasn't.

OK, now we've talked about the Hustler now. LOL. So has anyone else TRIED the Bunton WB with the Z controls? If you want a smooth, effortless system this is it.

Pete, have you tried it? Curious to know what you think.

Doc Pete
05-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Well, now I can certainly agree with you on that. I find all this to be a rather nagging frustration.... Makes me feel like going out to the factory and yelling HELLLLOOOO at the top of my lungs.

OK, so hereís skinny on the Hustler WBís (SWB). Now, in the walking linkage position, The turning ratio is fine. However, who in their right mind allows the machine to go from 0 to 5 mph without at the twist of wrist??? Grab to much throttle and youíre running at 5 mph. Gees, thatís insane.
Solution, the cruise control Iíve designed and have been using for 4 years now, let's the machine run only to 3 mph (or what you set it) and still override to full speed, as needed.
Now, in the velky linkage position of 0 to 10 mph, the forward speed in fine, BUT, the turning ratio is way too fast and makes precise turning and zero turning very hard. Again, the solution which Iíve been using for the last 4 years is to re-drill the high-speed linkage hole, readjust the linkage, and now the steering is smoother and the top end is still 9 mph.
These are very easy for anyone that cuts grass for living to understand. You are one of those people. Furthermore, many guys have voiced these complaints, but Hustler still thinks it's the operators who are fault and not their machines.
Well, let me tell ya, I've got 3 guy's working with me who "fight over" who gets to run my machines with modifications I've made. In fact, one guy feel guilty over getting paid for having such fun.
Pete

naturescape
05-13-2005, 03:56 PM

Here you go:

gogetter
05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Ray, curious why you're selling it already???????

naturescape
05-20-2005, 01:09 AM
Ray, curious why you're selling it already???????

I'm not sure if I like the machine or not.
:dizzy:

I have never had ztr type controls before, maybe they just take a lot of getting used to. I've used pistol grips or a form of them since 1986.

scott's turf
05-20-2005, 07:14 AM
I went from belt drive mowers to an exmark laser and love the ablilty on both machines to operate with one hand when mowing straight. This comes in handy to push aside an low branch, swat a bug, take a drink, wipe your eyes, etc. These actions would require you to stop the machine with the controls you have shown correct?

naturescape
05-20-2005, 09:56 AM
I went from belt drive mowers to an exmark laser and love the ablilty on both machines to operate with one hand when mowing straight. This comes in handy to push aside an low branch, swat a bug, take a drink, wipe your eyes, etc. These actions would require you to stop the machine with the controls you have shown correct?

That's one thing I don't like about the machine, although if you get used to it, you can operate them with one hand -- at least for a short distance.

Tharrell
05-29-2005, 05:59 PM
You know, I was waiting for someone to mention that. I operated a great dane stander and didn't like the off balance feeling I had sometimes. It was all in the hand controls.
Also, The Bob-Cat hydro is around $4k. I can't believe those controls cost that much more, they're basically the same machine.
I thought it looked good when I first saw it but, then I thought about operating that great dane.

Doc Pete
05-29-2005, 09:00 PM

Actually a Hustler WB lets you control the machine with one hand, including stopping, slowing down or speeding up. However, Hustler still needs to setup their machine from the factory correctly....Oh well.
Pete