PDA

View Full Version : Traveling one mile...

ALarsh
04-09-2005, 04:00 PM
I have a Toro Z557 and I was checking to see if it is ok for the hydros/hydro fluid to drive one mile non-stop?

Mark McC
04-09-2005, 04:03 PM
Why wouldn't it be?

ALarsh
04-09-2005, 04:12 PM
I wasn't sure if the hydro fluids get too hot or something. I travel one mile, cut the grass (3/4-1 acre) and travel another mile back.

walker-talker
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
My truck broke down a couple years ago. I had to drive the Walker to Pep Boys 1/2 mile away. Got back and truck still not working. Made the drive again to get an ignition module (which worked) and never had any problems with mower hydros.

grass-scapes
04-09-2005, 05:34 PM
My truck broke down a couple years ago. I had to drive the Walker to Pep Boys 1/2 mile away. Got back and truck still not working. Made the drive again to get an ignition module (which worked) and never had any problems with mower hydros.

I could have walked faster than my walker would go....LOL

traman
04-09-2005, 05:36 PM
should be fine ,cutting 1 acre of grass with a 72 inch mower is traveling about 3 miles ,and thats with blades on and constantly changing speeds and producing more heat, just cruising down the road is a cake walk for a mower

ALarsh
04-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Ok, Thanks for the answers. I didn't want to mess up the hydros by traveling one mile on a normal basis.

mikeyshane331
04-09-2005, 10:51 PM
the only thing i would worry about is if you are driving this mile a lot, is tires wearing out faster, but other than that i don't see a problem.

lawnandplow42
04-09-2005, 11:06 PM
i used to do this, and no problems at all.

spoolinaround
04-10-2005, 02:01 AM
I broke a Ujoint in my dakota on the freeway and I just unloaded the Deere and pulled the rig a little more then 2 miles to get off the freeway and to Tuffy at the end of the offramp, never a issue

jaybird
04-10-2005, 10:41 AM
we mow some greenway trails and one is 29 miles one side and another is 45 miles one side. we use a sabre tooth tiger 72 inch. no problems at all.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Commercial mowers are designed with long term use in mind.

green814
04-10-2005, 04:30 PM
My only suggestion would be if the cops are jerks in your area, you may want to put a orange triangle on the back of the mower( the kind used for farm equipment).Just a thought. I know it may sound crazy, but you never know.
Chris

ALarsh
04-10-2005, 05:10 PM
Good point. I think I will do that. The cops haven't bothered me and they have driven past me.

TClawn
04-10-2005, 06:21 PM
I've always wondered if you could get pulled over for not having registration on you Z when you take it on the road. it think if they applied the same rules as a car, you could get hit up big time. although, an officer would have to be having a really bad day to pull you over.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 06:38 PM
I would hope they have much better things to do than hassle you for it. But, stranger things have happened.

ALarsh
04-10-2005, 07:21 PM
I just got back from getting a SMV sign. I doubt anybody would pull me over.

dh500
04-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Here in Australia I would be surprised NOT to be pulled over if I was observed driving my Dixon Ram44 MAG on the road.

In fact when I purchased it, I enquired of our Roads and Traffic Authority what were the rules about using it to mow the footpath area outside my property.

The answer was that as the mower weighs over 250kg, it would have to be registered, have third party insurance, an amber rotating beacon, rear and side reflecting tape, rear vision mirrors and a horn. If it has hydraulic steering (and I guess you could say that a ztr does) it also needs a low level or hydraulic pressure warning device.

Guess what... the footpath outside my place does not get cut any more.

walker-talker
04-11-2005, 10:19 AM
I could have walked faster than my walker would go....LOL
C'mon now.....that's not fair...ouch!

kwelch
04-11-2005, 11:37 AM

My only question about this is when you pulled into Pep Boys did you park in a parking spot?

ALarsh
04-11-2005, 05:49 PM
Here is the SMV sign mounted:

green814
04-12-2005, 03:09 PM
Looks good, but where is the top half of your rops? :) Mine looks the same!
I thought about removing the lower half as well. Now if you have probs. w/ the cops, I would say it is harassment.
Chris

DLCS
04-12-2005, 03:40 PM
I've always wondered if you could get pulled over for not having registration on you Z when you take it on the road. it think if they applied the same rules as a car, you could get hit up big time. although, an officer would have to be having a really bad day to pull you over.

I'm not sure about other states but in Illinois a lawn mower can't be registered. Just like four wheelers, and most dirt bikes. They are not street legal.

ALarsh
04-12-2005, 05:09 PM
Looks good, but where is the top half of your rops? :) Mine looks the same!
I thought about removing the lower half as well. Now if you have probs. w/ the cops, I would say it is harassment.
Chris

Although I removed the top part, I think I still have a chance to keep my head on my neck if I duck if she tips over.

slicksilverado01
04-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Although I removed the top part, I think I still have a chance to keep my head on my neck if I duck if she tips over.

My new scag came with a solid ROPS and just today I took it off. I hit a branch and it lifted me back and almost hit my head on the branch. I was going about 8mph into the branch so there was little reaction time. Roll bars are too dangerous on a ztr