PDA

View Full Version : What the heck do people think!? then I snapped.

nobagger
04-09-2005, 05:49 PM
I am soooo tired of giving estimates to people, wasting my time and fuel and just annoying me to no end! I gave 3 estimates yesterday to people in a nicer location, 250k homes. One estimate was for $37.00/week for mowing about a 3/4 acre lot, trimming and I threw in a free edging of driveway every 3rd week. She looked at the estimate sheet and the first thing she said was "WOW, I didn't think it would cost that much" I told her the usuall shpeal about the amount of work etc. The second was about the same, with the same reaction. The third was a spring clean up and 12yrd's of mulch delivered and spread, cutting new edges around flower beds,(about 200ft total) Her price was $675.00. Her reaction was "Oh my gosh I never thought it would be that much", then I snapped I asked her how much she thought it would have cost her she said "well I don't know maybe a couple hundred dollars". I said to her well the I guess you would be out of business in a season. I asked her if she realized the amount of work involved, BLA BLA BLA. This season I have bid to the extent of almost becoming a lowballer and no luck.

packerbacker
04-09-2005, 05:52 PM
37 bucks for 3/4 of an acre? I do 10,000 sqt ft for 37 bucks.

Start bidding higher. You'll get better clients and not cheapskates.

ChadA
04-09-2005, 06:44 PM
Thats why I put a price o my flyer. When they call they already know how much it will be. I get about 85-90% of the people who call. Weeds out alot of the B/S.

promower
04-09-2005, 08:27 PM
A few hundred dollars :dizzy: Now thats funny your cost alone would of probably been that. Some people think we run a charitable organiztion I swear.

lawnman_scott
04-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I am soooo tired of giving estimates to people, wasting my time and fuel and just annoying me to no end! I gave 3 estimates yesterday to people in a nicer location, 250k homes. One estimate was for $37.00/week for mowing about a 3/4 acre lot, trimming and I threw in a free edging of driveway every 3rd week. She looked at the estimate sheet and the first thing she said was "WOW, I didn't think it would cost that much" I told her the usuall shpeal about the amount of work etc. The second was about the same, with the same reaction. The third was a spring clean up and 12yrd's of mulch delivered and spread, cutting new edges around flower beds,(about 200ft total) Her price was $675.00. Her reaction was "Oh my gosh I never thought it would be that much", then I snapped I asked her how much she thought it would have cost her she said "well I don't know maybe a couple hundred dollars". I said to her well the I guess you would be out of business in a season. I asked her if she realized the amount of work involved, BLA BLA BLA. This season I have bid to the extent of almost becoming a lowballer and no luck.
I wouldnt say you snapped, but i admire your restraint. I would have SNAPPED.

Littleriver1
04-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Thats why I put a price o my flyer. When they call they already know how much it will be. I get about 85-90% of the people who call. Weeds out alot of the B/S.
Well, I have a few thoughts about that. It sounds to me that your prices are probably too low. 85% to 90% signup rate is the first sign of low ball rates. You probably never tried testing your market area. If you want to gain some management knowledge try testing twice a year. If your getting all those customers you clam, it shouldn't be a problem for you. Putting your prices on a flyer for your competition to see, then they lower their's. Sounds like a really bad idea to me. No wonder so many work so hard for so little. I think your shooting yourself in the foot. I don't know your area or how you operate but putting a price on something you have never seen is not wise. You may be the cause of a tough market. I do know Pa. is a tough market. I guess it comes down to your definition of what "alot of B/S" means to you. A little B/S today may mean a lot more money and alot less work tomorrow. Some customers want to put you through alot of B/S, just to see how you react. I like putting the B/S to them to see if I want them for customers. I think if you try to short cut the interview you will miss an opportunity. Some times we trip over dollars to pick up nickles and dimes.

out4now
04-09-2005, 09:24 PM
I think ChadA is getting the people that already know what the price is instead of the fishers looking for low rates. His price is probably in line becasue like he said it weeds them out. If you're not disclosing the price ahead of time and then get 80-90 % then yes you are most likely in the lowball range. The problem with ttalking percentages is that he may be getting fewer calls but gets the majority of those customers. Is that what you're saying ChadA ?

Anthony-MB
04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
learn the art of negotation
number one rule - balk at the first price given

nelbuts
04-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Problem is cheap people from PA! Hahahahaha!

Tn Lawn Man
04-09-2005, 10:21 PM
This season I have bid to the extent of almost becoming a lowballer and no luck.

Your bid prices are already considerably lower than what we work for around here.

You are having some rotten luck.

Check your image.

Not meant to be offensive, but do you have an image that gives customers the idea that you will be cheap?

How do you handle yourself on the phone? I present myself on the phone as "knowing" what I am talking about. I have found that if you say "Well, I dunno" a lot and seem very unsure of yourself then it is like sharks smelling blood in the water. They think they can get a low price from you.

Be uniformed, professional looking, knowledgable and confident. ( Not say that you are not already) You might just be having a bad luck streak.

Good Luck

QualityLawnCare4u
04-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Nobagger, I wanted to throw my .02 cents on the one time I snapped. This was in my 4th year. A lady calls me and wants estimate (did not tell me exactly what she had on voice mail) I get to her house, it was 7 acres of pure h#ll. About 3 acres of it was flower beds that looked like they had never been weeded. She wants a complete service,mow, weedeat, clean out beds. The job would have taken 4 men a solid 40 hour week at least. She then told me she would not pay more than 4 dollars an hour!! I looked at her in amazement and said "you did say 40"? She said no, 4. I said you mean you want me to bring my equipment over, pay for my gas and work for less than minimum wage?!! She then said that, "well, you dont have a real job". When she said this I totally lost my kindness. I grabbed my stomach BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH, LADY, YOU ARE &^^&^& KIDDING ARNT YOU BWAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA :D :D Lady, you just made my day ( I actually had tears running out of my eyes it was so ludricus). That is the most insulting,rediculous,stupid, idotic, request anyone has ever made to me BWAAHAHAHAHA (Im still laughing and at her) She said "well, you are being rude and I would not want you to do it anyway" I told her I would not do it for her if I was staving! I know that was not professional but that "not a real job" got to me. I then backed to my truck (still laughing uncontrallable) and got in the truck and let the window down and told her again "lady you have just made my day, you are crazy as *****, and drove off. That is the one and only time I have competely lost it. I wished I felt bad about this incident but I dont one bit.

Littleriver1
04-09-2005, 11:30 PM
I think ChadA is getting the people that already know what the price is instead of the fishers looking for low rates. His price is probably in line becasue like he said it weeds them out. If you're not disclosing the price ahead of time and then get 80-90 % then yes you are most likely in the lowball range. The problem with ttalking percentages is that he may be getting fewer calls but gets the majority of those customers. Is that what you're saying ChadA ?
Your guessing! You just want him and you to be right. If you do not know for a fact that your prices are right then you are not managing your business. When it comes to business, smart is the only way to go. If you look smart people will think you are smart. If you act smart people will think you are smart. If you talk smart people will think you are smart. If you stand next to a stupid person, none of that other stuff matters. When people see you, you are just someone standing next to a stupid person. Any one who under charges his market is standing next to a stupid person.

nobagger
04-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Your bid prices are already considerably lower than what we work for around here.

You are having some rotten luck.

Check your image.

Not meant to be offensive, but do you have an image that gives customers the idea that you will be cheap?

How do you handle yourself on the phone? I present myself on the phone as "knowing" what I am talking about. I have found that if you say "Well, I dunno" a lot and seem very unsure of yourself then it is like sharks smelling blood in the water. They think they can get a low price from you.

Be uniformed, professional looking, knowledgable and confident. ( Not say that you are not already) You might just be having a bad luck streak.

Good Luck

Thanks TN I know what you mean. The knowledge and confidence are there, the only thing lacking is a uniform shirt with our name on it.
And not to say you or anyone else does this but I always belived in not flooring customers with huge prices like some of the big companies around here do, but they seem to always be busy.
I am giving an estimate to a lady on Monday for spring clean up, at best a truck load of leaves, 2 guys will be in and out in 1 1/2 hours I think I'll try bumping up my estimate by 50% and we'll see.