PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Deck

stevesmowing
04-09-2005, 11:16 PM
There had been talk on the Hustler form of the new units having enlarged deck openings and different blades. Has anyone on here modified their deck yet and if so how easy was it and how does the unit perform now. Has anyone seen a difference in performance on how the newer blades cut?

Travis Followell
04-10-2005, 09:02 AM
I think the new blades and the larger opening is supposed to help out in wet grass with reducing clumping.

MOW ED
04-10-2005, 09:07 AM
I tested a Super Z 2 years ago and the machine was great but my concern was the quality of cut. It wasn't terrible by any stretch but there was something missing that just didn't look as good as others. I mostly mow Kentucky Blue and rye mixes up here and I just didn't care for the cut. I didn't buy my big Z yet and I am glad to have learned that they designed a different deck. Time for a demo again.

Shady Brook
04-10-2005, 09:51 AM
I have modified my Super Z deck to match the opening on the new units. I have not had enough grass to tell for sure how much difference it will make. It seems to launch leaves very far, but we will have to wait and see on the grass. I received the new blades and spacers as well. They are a flat blade sharpened nearly to the center. They appear to be a highlift with the sail not being very long. They are not notched. To modify the deck I added a bit of weld on the deck at the bottom where it is reinforced as I would be cutting off much of what attached it to the deck. I am not sure it was neccesary, but to be safe that is what I did. I then just scribed a line where I wanted to cut and used a sawzall. Piece of cake! Just grind the edges to smooth, and modify your OCDC if you have one.

Good luck

imograss
04-10-2005, 09:56 AM
I modified my deck and OCDC yesterday. I will try to take pics today.

stevesmowing
04-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks. Pictures would be great!

joallen001
04-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Can someone show me pics of the spacers. My dealer gave me new bolts and the same washers that came factory. The bolts are too short to even mount the blades up. I think they got the wrong part.

Axl
04-14-2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=102977

Here are the pics of the deck before and after

lampeslawnservice
04-14-2005, 12:46 AM
Axl, Can you give me some info where you got your plans to do the cut out from.

joallen001
04-14-2005, 01:56 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=102977

Here are the pics of the deck before and after

Can you get some pics of the spacers. I have already did the deckmod.

Shady Brook
04-14-2005, 08:14 AM
You can just use big Washers for the spacer. Just get enough so that your blades are on the same plane as they were with the offsets without spacers. They are just a big thick solid washer bascially.