PDA

View Full Version : Grass for the Masters tournament

Mountain Peak
04-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Has anyone else noticed how nice the grass is looking for the Masters tournament this weekned? I've been sitting here watching it in HD and can't get over how the course looks. The boys who work on that course should be complimented....

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-10-2005, 05:33 PM
It looks that good each and every year. I have been lucky enough to be heading down to Florida on two occassions in the past at this time with my family and stopped for the tournament. The real reason the course always looks this nice is the fact it is not public and has very few members. Not many rounds are played at Augusta each year. But yeah, the grounds crew men deserve a special nod each year. The course is always flawless and bunkers are as white as can be.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 05:36 PM
One of the most beautiful courses in the world, without a doubt.

Frontier-Lawn
04-10-2005, 05:45 PM
looks good but i dont play golf ;) so i dont pay to much attention to the golf grass that much :cool:

promower
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Isnt Augusta the course where females arent allowed to play? Little off topic but I thought I heard that once.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 06:09 PM
That's the one. No female members allowed.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-10-2005, 06:11 PM
Just the way Bobby Jones intended. LOL

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 06:26 PM
Every man needs a place to get away for a bit. I wish that was mine. :cry:

Woody82986
04-10-2005, 07:02 PM
When my grandfather was down in Augusta for business once with the Army CID corps, a friend of his gained access to take himself and my grandfather to play golf at Augusta National. They got there and since my grandfather hadnt expected to be playing golf on the trip didnt bring his bag or shoes. So he rented some clubs, got to the changing room and field house to rent some shoes and they didn't have any golf shoes big enough to fit is feet.... so he missed his one and only chance to play at Augusta... such a heartbreaking story.

Drew Gemma
04-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I can tell you from working on a course not the masters type but a medium level course. It is work but it is not hard work. They control water fert and mowing. A high end course like that is a chemical nightmare one after another then with iron. Then hit it with fertagation. Nice yes but not as hard as making some home owners yard look nice cause you can't control anything.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Hell, I would have played barefoot.

lawncare4u
04-10-2005, 08:57 PM
When my grandfather was down in Augusta for business once with the Army CID corps, a friend of his gained access to take himself and my grandfather to play golf at Augusta National. They got there and since my grandfather hadnt expected to be playing golf on the trip didnt bring his bag or shoes. So he rented some clubs, got to the changing room and field house to rent some shoes and they didn't have any golf shoes big enough to fit is feet.... so he missed his one and only chance to play at Augusta... such a heartbreaking story.

:rolleyes: He should have played bare footed :rolleyes:

timinkc
04-11-2005, 11:32 AM
not as hard as a home owners lawn????? really? i think you're crazy, i took some maint courses when i was in school at MU, and found that the constant attention to soil conditions, disease conditions, irrigation rates, airflow through tree canopies, irrigation system maintenence (that's a little more pressure than any homeowners), teebox damage, let alone the whole other world of greens maintenance was "kinda" complex. i think a real greenskeeper would laugh out loud at your statement. now i know not every municipal course is kept up to the standards of Augusta National, but come on....there's a reason no reputable club will have anyone without at least a 4 year degree..

oh god i can hear it now, i'm some sort of educational biggot. no, on the contrary, i believe college education matters less than work ethic, but there is no substitute for knoledge, and i would say that 99.9% of lawncare companys don't have the knoledge to run a course.

MarcSmith
04-11-2005, 12:02 PM
I did some ballfield maintenece in Florida on some bermuda grass fields....it was a headache and it was only a YMCA....

At Augusta they can through big $$$$$ at it and as we all know if you throw enough money at a problem it will go away....: )

I'm sure all the rain has kept them jumping with the Fungi....and diseases....It woudl not suprisse if them dont keep people off the course for 2-3 weeks prior to the masters...

I did a search on Ebay. a four day 4 pack masters tix with Hospitality tent sold for 12000.00...too rich for my blood....I'll watch in TV :)

packerbacker
04-11-2005, 12:06 PM
I did some ballfield maintenece in Florida on some bermuda grass fields....it was a headache and it was only a YMCA....

At Augusta they can through big $$$$$ at it and as we all know if you throw enough money at a problem it will go away....: )

I'm sure all the rain has kept them jumping with the Fungi....and diseases....It woudl not suprisse if them dont keep people off the course for 2-3 weeks prior to the masters...

I did a search on Ebay. a four day 4 pack masters tix with Hospitality tent sold for 12000.00...too rich for my blood....I'll watch in TV :)

The week before the caddies usually fly in and play whatever course the players are competing on the following week.

Duramax99
04-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Have you guys heard of Lesco Green?? They paint half the course the night or morning of tee off.

No lie.......

MarcSmith
04-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Not bad work for a caddie. play golf I imagien while they are playing they get out the play book and mark yardages or at the very least double check the yardages form previous books....for the following week....I wonder if they just pace it off or use GPS....

MarcSmith
04-11-2005, 12:44 PM
we used paint on turf when I worked at disney.....whenevr they had a tv aperance to schedule.....

Paint at the masters would not suprise me......Heck withthe 3-400 gallon spary rigs with big booms. makes a bit easy I'm sure...

EvandSeby
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
So Grandpa's feet were too big to play at the Master's... it just means the lord blessed him in another way........

H2o By Design
04-11-2005, 10:25 PM
augusta is strickly rye grass, I use to have an article of how much rye grass is used as well as the unlimited labor. they have some thing like 14 fairway mowers. each green is walked mowed like 4 times each day. any course can look this good with an unlimited budget. its amazing the stuff that goes on for this tourney to make it look this good and people just think their yard will look this way. as for the painting i dont think that is true. the tour does do some painting when conditions call but this is prime rye grass time and should.

PiedmontContractors
04-11-2005, 10:30 PM
So you think they paint the grass??? I worked on the grounds crew at Sanford Stadium (Go Dawgs) We painted the turf. It happens alot more than you realize.

I had some profs. at school that did consulting work for Augusta. there are a TON of very smart people who have input on how that course looks so good.

How do you make creeping bent grow in the Ga. heat???? Simple, you have a system of pipes under the greens that have cool water that controls soil temps.

That place is amazing.

I had friends in school that interviewed there out of college. Starting salary: $9/hr. This is what I was told ( I did not speak w/ anyone from Augusta). that is w/ a 4 yr. turf mgmt. degree from UGA.

grasssin
04-11-2005, 10:41 PM
That is your problem, with $9 an hour, graduating from Georgia. Auburn grads start out at $45 an hour I am told.. :) Yalls hedges are wonderful though how the rebound every other year when we cut them down after the Game....

War Eagle!

H2o By Design
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
Dont get me wrong, I think grass does get painted but on a course that allows no play for like 6 months before the tourney. im sure theyre may be spots but i wouldnt think much. $9/hr may sound low for this type of course but they get alot of free labor from course supers that want the recognition.

grasssin
04-11-2005, 10:44 PM
I forgat the exact time frame but the members are only allowed to play right after the Masters tournament ends, and then only have a few months to play before they are getting it ready for the next years tournament....

H2o By Design
04-11-2005, 10:47 PM
yes i believe your correct. its prob. more than 6 months. by the way, grassin my best friend is an auburn grad.

PiedmontContractors
04-11-2005, 10:53 PM
War Chicken.

The response about supers wanting recognition; that is how that place attracts topflight talent for peanuts. I wish my biz had that kinda name. :)

MMLawn
04-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I forgat the exact time frame but the members are only allowed to play right after the Masters tournament ends, and then only have a few months to play before they are getting it ready for the next years tournament....

The course closes for play at the end of May to members. It is also because of the GA heat as they don't want to add the additional stress of play during the hot summer months. It then reopens in the fall for limited play before the Masters prep.

ThreeWide
11-19-2005, 03:28 PM
Just to set this straight.....

Augusta has Bermuda fairways that are overseeded with Perennial Rye. Perennial Rye produces the colors you see without painting. I saw it in person a few years ago.

The course is normally closed during the Summer months due to renovations. You can imagine that the fairways are probably not that great in the Summer due to the Rye/Bermuda transition.

So basically, any golf played there is on the Rye.