PDA

View Full Version : Window Wells

jreiff
04-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Has anyone ever built window wells out of retaining wall block? We have done a couple of them, pretty small, 1-2' deep, nothing major. But i got a call for a bid on a window well that a guy wants built. It would be 5' w x 4' l by about 4-5' deep.

Just wondering about drainage? Would you just back fill it like a reuglar retaining wall? Drain tile? If you did drain tile, where would the water flow out at? Any one have any good suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Justin

jreiff
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Here is a picture where the window well is going to go.

sheshovel
04-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Water can't drain up

stumper1620
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
any chance there might be a drain tile around the foundation, going to a sump pump, mine has one, I put in 3 windows with 2 wells. I just used a phd
(post hole digger) dug down to the drain tile and put a 4" vertical pipe then filled with stones around it. never held any water yet. and I have never seen it go into the sump.

jreiff
04-10-2005, 09:33 PM
Water can't drain up

Obviously!!!

kris
04-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Most of the ones I have done already have the pipe going down to the foundation drains.

If not, you could do what was suggested above but that wouldn't be easy where I am living ... your talking a 7'-8 hole and has to be clean right down to the tile...

Make sure the lip of the window well is above grade and you have the grade sloping away...I would put a good 12 inches of rock inside instead of the customary 2-3". Wouldn't hurt to have some stone outside too.