PDA

View Full Version : Can You Make It As A Part Timer

DAZ982500
04-10-2005, 09:01 PM
I Began Lawn Care About 3 Years Ago. Equipment At That Time Was A 21" Residential Mower A String Trimmer A Blower And Snowblower For The Winter. No Trailer Dodge 1500 Ram As The Engine. At Present I Own A Jd 36" Wb, Jd 21" Residential Mower Jon Seered Chainsaw Husky Brushcutter Trimmer Echo Hand Held Blower Echo Hedge Trimmer And Dodge Ram 2500 With Plow.for The Last Few Years I Have Gone Without Insurance Since I Have Assets I Decide One, I Did Not Want To Take A Chance Of Losing Them And Second Particulary With Snow Removal I Wanted The Opportunity To Land Commerical Account S Which Almost Always Require Insurance And Second The Risk Of Damage Is Greater In The Winter Than With Lawns.i Have Approximately 18 Residental/rental Properties.with This In Mind, Keeping In Mind Here In The State Of New York Insurance Artisen Policy 500.00 Snowplowing Business/gl 1800=2300.00 .is It Possible To On Profit , Ican And Usually Put In 16 Hrs A Week Outside 40 Hour Workweek With This Business.no Insurance Means :) .without It?i Would Like To Hear From Anyone Who Maybe In This Situation, Pros/cons Maybe Anyone Who May Have Some Ideas On What I Can Do To Become More Profitable Or Maybe I Should Sell It All And Stay 9-5.incidently The Reason I Got Into This Was To Supplement My Income And Perfrom Something Outside I Was Interested In And Really Enjoy. I Really Want To Make This Work Before I Let This Go.thanks Dave

DLS1
04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
Hard to read what all you said but I did notice you don't have insurance. My advice is sell it all and get out . One wreck and you can loose your house if you caused the wreck. Is it really worth it.

nobagger
04-10-2005, 09:17 PM
What????? Its very hard to read your thread. But either get insurance or get out. If you injured someone or something without insurance say good-bye to your equipment, house and any other assets you have.

DAZ982500
04-10-2005, 11:05 PM
I must not have clarified myself. I do have insurance at this time however with the additional overhead it appears more difficult to make a profit.And no I do not want to lose my assets that was the reason I purchased the insurance.Back to the question is it possible to work this way PT and still profit.Is there anyone out that is doing this. I am guessing that I am the only one and can only assume that my destiny is to sell after the season is over and leave it at the.tHANKS DAVE

Mowerman05
04-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Just bumping this thread - as I am also planning to go into this part time while working a full time job.

It's odd that he only gets several repeat criticisms over lack of insurance (even though it's good advice) and suggestions for him to just bail out.. but when he explains that he is legit and simply wants to make it work -nobody has any good advice to help him or others like me see it through?

chefdrp
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Well, I started pat-time and now am going into my first full-time year. You wont do it on like 16 hrs like i think i read. I worked 45 hrs as Chef and around 35 hrs as LCO. It was hard work but it all paid off. I am able to go PT as Chef. (3 days). Do what ever you can. If you like this stuff than stick with it and work very hard. Just dont LOW BALL.

cantoo
04-11-2005, 11:11 PM
Mowerman, most of us quit reading the thread very quickly. This is a busy time of year for most of us, no time to read and respond to every thread especially one that is that difficult to read.
My wife and I work part time at this however we do other things to make money such as buying and selling lawn equipment. This way we are able to have a wide variety of lawn and landscaping equipment so it's easy to find different types of work when we want to make more money. We make as much money buying and selling as we do cutting. Jobs we perform include lawn sweeping, lawn rolling, cutting, flower planting, cleanups, leaf work, junk cleanup and hauling, house cleaning, pressure washing, painting, tree cutting, and on and on. We try to keep our client list small enough and just sell whatever we think they might need. Every year we add a few more good customers and get rid of a few less desirable ones. Yeasterday we dropped a Doctor and tonight we landed a judge.

YGWBill
04-12-2005, 06:42 AM
where in ny i live in ithaca

DAZ982500
04-12-2005, 11:34 AM
ygwBill i am in endicott ny 45 miles south of you.when i read my thread again it was not as clear as when i thought it through. the bottom line was is 1)are there others performing this service part time(with insurance) and succeding.2)any advize on what I can due to be more profitable with the equipment I have.I agree with working more if I have the business.Ihave a wife and two kids to see as well.

ICE
04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I am right in between both of you. I live in Candor, not really busy out my way, but I have a few that I do.

YGWBill
04-14-2005, 06:50 AM
well i started out 8 years ago and grow each year good luck and just do good work and you will