PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here mow for the city?

packerbacker
04-10-2005, 09:11 PM
Just curious if anyone here is contracted by the city to do any mowing for them? If so how did you get in with them and is it a good idea?

CamLand
04-10-2005, 09:14 PM
I've been cutting municipal for about 5 years I got in by doing an sealed bid and landed the job.I wasn't the cheapest but I landed it on my reputation in the community.I feel it is well worth your time to check into it...

packerbacker
04-10-2005, 09:15 PM
I've been cutting municipal for about 5 years I got in by doing an sealed bid and landed the job.I wasn't the cheapest but I landed it on my reputation in the community.I feel it is well worth your time to check into it...

Did you contact the city? And if so what branch?

CamLand
04-10-2005, 09:19 PM
I found the bid by checking the local paper.The cities are somewhat small around us and each has it's own paper.So I have subscription to a select few and just looked for Sealed bid requests...

packerbacker
04-10-2005, 09:20 PM
Cool, thanks for the help. I notice bids all the time but they are mainly for construction related contractors. But ill keep my eyes open for mowing. thank you.

jims lawn service
04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
Packer, I have a cotract with a large county.I bid on the contract through the county website.It was a sealed bid process.We do all the code violations which came to over 600 cuts last year.Is it a good idea?I will say Im doing it again this year but,we tear up our equipment occasionally and we go into the worst neighborhoods in the county.We had a run in with some of the neighborhood thugs last year and I did a dumb thing and got into a confrontation with them and they pulled out a pistol.I learned from that to: just do what we are there to do and keep my mouth shut and I am armed now myself. The violations are over 2.5 ft tall usually, sometimes less ,always over 8"(thats the height to be in violation ).It is different from the normal lawn customers but it is interesting.

CamLand
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
They had bidding going out for the snow plowing in the city also but the city workers did take to kindly to that and the bids got canceled...Another way is to contact the city of your intrested in doing work with if you see someone besideds city employess doing the work then it is getting bid out...We all know how cold calls work

packerbacker
04-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Over 600! Sounds like this could worth my time after I get done with my regular list for the week.

DJ Contracting
04-10-2005, 09:32 PM
We just bib on our city cemetery and ended up bidding the same as another company, now we are waiting on the out come. We believe that we'll get the bid, cause the other company was from out of town. But we did the same just checked our local papers on the day that they post all bids. Good luck.

jims lawn service
04-10-2005, 09:44 PM
We had a meeting with the county last week and they came up with a chronic violator list.These properties will be cut every 2 weeks all season long.Currently there are 25 on the list so thats 50 a month on top of all the other violations.They told me that were going to get slammed in the next week or so.

DLCS
04-10-2005, 09:50 PM
We had a meeting with the county last week and they came up with a chronic violator list.These properties will be cut every 2 weeks all season long.Currently there are 25 on the list so thats 50 a month on top of all the other violations.They told me that were going to get slammed in the next week or so.

I'm just curious does the city pay you a set price for each over grown lawn you cut or is the pricing different for each lawn? Do you ever run into hassles from the homeowners cause they would have to reimburse the city eventually for your service? I would think that you would take a beating from some owners who don't want you on their property.

jims lawn service
04-10-2005, 09:57 PM
In my contract there is different criteria for each property.Example:Less than a half acre 2.5 feet tall with trimming 125.00.As for people beating on me,if the property is vacant no proble,if it is occupied I have a county cop with me,again no problem.If the property owner does not pay when they get their bill from the county a lien is placed on the property.I get paid monthly from the county.

DLCS
04-10-2005, 10:00 PM
Jim,

Thanks for answering my questions, sounds like you have your butt covered. :)

br549oicu8
04-10-2005, 10:53 PM
City/Count/Government mowing is out there. Just ask to be on the bidders list, typically thru the finance department. We did them a few years but it got to be cut throat so we throw the bid invitations in the trash anymore.

packerbacker
04-10-2005, 11:18 PM
The longer Im in business the more I realize how much my time is worth and little everyone elses is.

thill
04-11-2005, 02:27 AM
We haVe several contracts with the City to mow various city properties. All were obtained through sealed bids. In our case, the purchasing department manages the contracts.

We have also bid, but not won, a couple of county packages. They work through the finance department.

Both entities have websites that allow you to ask to be placed on the bidders list.

The competititon is heavy but there is a lot of work there.

Good luck
Tom

lawn_pro
04-11-2005, 06:16 AM
We have a contract with the city to mow 10 accounts, some of the accounts are crappy, some of the accounts are o.k.-easy to deal with the city so far, no problems...they always pay on time..nice not to have the hassels

packerbacker
04-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Just to update, i contacted one of the cities i live near and pending some reference checks they said they would put me on the contractors list. Looks like its probably a go.

timinkc
04-12-2005, 11:10 AM
i have done a few code violations for my town. here's what i learned... DON'T use your regular equiptment on these sh!5 h0l3s you will DESTROY it. i told them not to call again. if you can't afford to get a tractor and brush hog then don't bother, but at 600 lots i'd say get one.

jims lawn service
04-13-2005, 08:49 AM
Timinkc,my contract forbids using a brush hog although I did use a Swisher 50" brush hog on a few lots.I pulled it with my ZTR and was not impressed with it.Most of the cuts are vacant houses with small 1/4 to 1/2 acre lots.You are right though I did some nice damage to my equipment.By the way the swisher is for sale.I used it twice. $700.00 I bought it from my dealer,he used it for his property in the country a few times.

Mowgli
04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
wrong tread

Mowgli
04-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Did you contact the city? And if so what branch?
I called the City hall and told them that i want to be on city's bid list. Some city took info over the phone and some asked me to send in detail of my company.

A few months back, i have an bid invitation from city of Olathe;however, the valume of works were too much. There is no way that a solo guy like me could handle that much works. I am talking about 50-60 parks, 12-13 fire and police stations.The list gos on and on and i am not even talk about insurance and list of eguipments that they require for you to have.

Oh, I almost forget, if you have not handle big jobs like this in the passed( at least five refernces), they will not even look at the bid.