PDA

View Full Version : JustMowIt Getting Too Big for His Britches ?

Fareway Lawncare
04-10-2005, 09:18 PM
I remember Stumbling on E-Mowing..JustMowIt Web Site Three Yerars Ago & Saw Advertised Pricing of $18..." $18 Lawn Mowing by ordering Online
1122 N. Hwy 121 Melissa, TX 75454 Phone: 972-648-1020
E-mail: info@e-mowing.com"......

Price Is Now $26...http://www.justmowit.com/JL%20Services%20Prices.htm

You Have to Remember What Got you Where You are Today & That's $18 a POP...Prices Should be No More than $21-$22 Cost of Living Increase By Now.

As a Semi-Retired High Class Scrub Who Made Millions Sending out Students and Riff Raff to Cut $18 Lawns I Want to Know What Gives and Why the Change....Or Am I Missing Something Here...That's a Pretty Big Price Increase.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 09:26 PM
That is an $8 increase over 3 years. Considering the raise in fuel prices, I don't think that he's to out of wack.

jpp
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Maybe he felt he was under priced back then and raised them to where they should be? Just imo.

Precision
04-10-2005, 09:28 PM
Fareway,

You are an idiot.

He has pricing at various levels. When he did the Cheap Cheap flyers ($18) he was also doing ones for $25 in a different area.

Besides what do you care. If it works for him leave him alone. Better yet leave us all alone. At least until you get finished with your SCS mowers.

ksland
04-10-2005, 09:42 PM
As I understand it, he runs specials all the time, just like sales in a store, or coupons. Whatever brings them in. Also I believe you had to prepay a whole season to get the $18 rate.

Fareway Lawncare
04-10-2005, 09:43 PM
That is an $8 increase over 3 years. Considering the raise in fuel prices, I don't think that he's to out of wack.

$8 on an $18 Cut is Almost 40% Increase...These arn't Acreages......Remember What Got All those Customers and that Sweet Route Density.....Lets Hope the Poor Boy Hasn't Lost His Way

TURF DOCTOR
04-10-2005, 09:48 PM
He must be mowing small properties unless he can put a big wb in the bed the 1 i see is a push mower.

Mo Green
04-10-2005, 09:52 PM
$8 on an $18 Cut is Almost 40% Increase...These arn't Acreages......Remember What Got All those Customers and that Sweet Route Density.....Lets Hope the Poor Boy Hasn't Lost His Way
Yes, over 3 years. That's roughly $2.66 per year which is around 14.5%. How much have you increased your prices over the last 3 years?

promower
04-10-2005, 10:24 PM
I would rather pay $100 then have some idiot ride his mower down my stairs, leave it there with the keys in it and then have my kid drive it through my back fence. Just my .02

coastallandscapesolutions
04-10-2005, 10:36 PM
I would rather pay $100 then have some idiot ride his mower down my stairs, leave it there with the keys in it and then have my kid drive it through my back fence. Just my .02

You're not referring to JustMowIt are you becuase he only uses 21" Toro's in his entire fleet. Of course he buys new ones every year, about 40 of them I believe. He runs I think 15 trucks. Personally I think he has found a nitch in his Texas market. He is using the "Kiss" method and it seems to be working for him.

pagefault
04-10-2005, 11:33 PM

I just wet my pants. :realmad:

promower
04-10-2005, 11:38 PM
Nope not refering to just mow it

promower
04-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Dont you remember the thread that was printed in Turf when Fareway got his WB stuck in the back yard?

Teiman
04-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Probably had to pay his help more.
(although he paid pretty strong for his area to begin with)

I heard the supply of labor from the legal
migrant worker program was tight this year.
Quota issues I think.

You know he has a good answerer, Always does.

I like to track him and the Flex-deck dude,
innovators in this industry in some regards.
Interesting to watch them and their decisions

jerryrwm
04-11-2005, 12:26 AM
You Have to Remember What Got you Where You are Today & That's $18 a POP...Prices Should be No More than $21-$22 Cost of Living Increase By Now.

As a Semi-Retired High Class Scrub Who Made Millions Sending out Students and Riff Raff to Cut $18 Lawns I Want to Know What Gives and Why the Change....Or Am I Missing Something Here...That's a Pretty Big Price Increase.

Just what the hell business is it of yours to question a price increase? Don't you post about 'scrubs and lowballers' and their low prices? Now you question an obviously successful LCO's price increase.

So, if I understand it, you are trying to set limits on price increases. Maybe we all need to get your blessing before setting a price?

Just mind your own business and others can take care of theirs.

The C Man
04-11-2005, 12:53 AM
As a Semi-Retarted Low Class Loser Who Made Millions of Enemies Sending out Students and Riff Raff to Cut $18 Lawns I Want to Know What Gives and Why the Change
So ask him, moron.

Greenstar Services
04-11-2005, 01:16 AM
He has a business plan that is working in his market. He should be praised for being a success,not critisized.

PMLAWN
04-11-2005, 04:34 AM

Yes you are missing something.
He has over 3000 properties to cut. An increase of just 1 dollar is +3000 a week or about $120,000 a year.
$8.00 a cut will produce $24,000 extra a week. Even if 25% cancel it still will produce $18,000 a week or (40 weeks) about $720,000 extra a year.

A fellow LCO makes millions and creates a business model that we all wish we had and you start a thread to be-little him.
I think what you're missing is green grass to cut. The long cold winter up north has taken it's toll this year. Next winter you need to get a hobby.

rodfather
04-11-2005, 06:15 AM
As a Semi-Retired High Class Scrub Who Made Millions

LMAO...in your dreams Kelvin, you could only wish that's where you are.

Duramax99
04-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Fareway I thought you said you were done with Lawnsite until the Fall. Anyways why do you care what Justmowit does in Texas when your in Canada????

Mo Green
04-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Fareway I thought you said you were done with Lawnsite until the Fall. Anyways why do you care what Justmowit does in Texas when your in Canada????
You said it , brother.

BRIMOW525
04-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Thats one problem I had with his site... where the hell is he from? finally figured it out that he is in Texas. Seems to have a good thing going there. Little on the low side IMO, but hey, he's in Texas so I'm not worried about the competition.

DennisF
04-11-2005, 07:50 AM
I would have to say that he's doing the industry a lot of good by increasing his prices steadily over a 3 year period. Almost everyone on this site is complaining about the low prices for lawn care and he has slowly increased his prices while increasing the size of his business. Why in the hell would anyone complain about success?

Sounds to me like he's doing a lot of things right, and the rest of us could learn from him.

Grass Gator
04-11-2005, 08:38 AM

I keep hearing the word....jealous.?

marko
04-11-2005, 08:41 AM
As a Semi-Retired High Class Scrub Who Made Millions

Fareway. Lets see your website and setup......Thats what I thought! :)

grasswhacker
04-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I remember Stumbling on E-Mowing..JustMowIt Web Site Three Yerars Ago & Saw Advertised Pricing of $18..." $18 Lawn Mowing by ordering Online

Fareway,

Thank you for living in Canada.

Sincerely,
The Citizens of the United States of America

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-11-2005, 03:11 PM
Fareway,

Sincerely,

Hey, we don't want him either.....LOL

Lance L
04-11-2005, 03:19 PM
im working on the other side of dallas as tj his prices are just as competitive as everyone else in this area, as far as his 18 a few years ago i think that he was aiming to work for other landscape companies and do their mowing for them for like 20 bucks.. they would probably charge 25 and make 5 for no work... and if the 18 was a residential price it would have been a sale and i doubt it stuck for more than a year. last year his prices were 25 and up to 26 this year. the yards in this area are very small a $25 yard takes me 40mins or less to mow with a 21" mower thats mowed edged everything. so i guess you should quit ragging on him for being a millionaire....

rodfather
04-11-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey, we don't want him either.....LOL

I can understand why...who wants a Newfie propellor head as a neighbor? :dizzy:

HighGrass
04-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Fareway-
Why would someone who says their from Canada care about someone's business in Texas? Is it that cold outside that you have nothing better to do? :)

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-11-2005, 04:46 PM
Fareway-
Why would someone who says their from Canada care about someone's business in Texas? Is it that cold outside that you have nothing better to do? :)

It was a balmy 6Celsius outside today.

Fareway Lawncare
04-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Most of You Kids are Too Young to Rememember & JustMowIt Wasn't A Member Here But a Few Years Ago I posted His Website as an eXample of a Good Business Model and Within 24 Hours there was 4 Pages Of Hate Against JustMowIt...Thread Had to be Deleted it Was so Hateful....Called Everything from Scrub to 10yr old Kid to Boozer to Scam Artist to Dirty Rotten Lowballer...The Consensus In 4 Pages of Hate was There was No Way he Was Making Money...Well Most of the Disosaurs who Posted in that Thread Have Moved on to Lesser Things...

It's Nice to See that LS has Grown Up....A Little.

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 08:34 PM
Most of You Kids are Too Young to Rememember & JustMowIt Wasn't A Member Here But a Few Years Ago I posted His Website as an eXample of a Good Business Model and Within 24 Hours there was 4 Pages Of Hate Against JustMowIt...Thread Had to be Deleted it Was so Hateful....Called Everything from Scrub to 10yr old Kid to Boozer to Scam Artist to Dirty Rotten Lowballer...The Consensus In 4 Pages of Hate was There was No Way he Was Making Money...Well Most of the Disosaurs who Posted in that Thread Have Moved on to Lesser Things...

It's Nice to See that LS has Grown Up....A Little.I have to agree with that 100%. He was bringing down the industry, he would be gone by august, he would bla bla bla. Now he has risen from the grave and glory glory justmowit, glory glory justmowit............ If it was me I would do nothing but laugh and call you guys a bunch of copycat losers.

coastallandscapesolutions
04-11-2005, 09:00 PM
You have to admire someone who has become sucessful by working their dream and learning from their mistakes while not tossing in the towel. Kudo's to JustMowIt!

cantoo
04-11-2005, 09:58 PM
Fareway, nice slam dunk. I was wondering how long before you reminded everyone how quick they jumped onto the scrub Justmowit thread of a few years ago. It pretty much worked out like a few of us thought, he had "sales" to get customers and would work on getting prices to where they needed to be quickly. I would bet he didn't do many $18 lawns. One might go as far as to say he is a young Sam Walmart. I would think that his overhead would be paid off after only a couple of weeks of work.
Fareway, I'm sure glad old Lawrence Stone isn't on your side, we would all die.

Precision
04-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Baiting is when you set someone up with something that will trick them into revealing their own idiocy.

Problem is no one needs to bait fareway. He freely admits his dishonesty and stupidity. Even his fellow canucks are embarrassed by him.

Some of us called him a scrub, some of us didn't. some of us were wrong and admitted it, some of us didn't. But the bottom line is his system works.

But like they say, better to be ignorant than stupid. The ignorant can be taught and thus cured. Fareway, I mean the stupid are stuck with stupid until they die.

Soupy
04-12-2005, 12:02 AM

I think you have your companies crossed. I believe this is the guy with $18 cuts, not justmowit. http://www.justlawns.com/ Justmowit has said that he doesn't raise prices.

StealthDT
04-12-2005, 12:25 AM
Yeah, I'd go with the $18/mow dude, $26 is too much.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-12-2005, 01:05 AM
I think you have your companies crossed. I believe this is the guy with $18 cuts, not justmowit. http://www.justlawns.com/ Justmowit has said that he doesn't raise prices.

What a mis-matched bunch of Nissans.

PMLAWN
04-12-2005, 07:45 AM

It's Nice to See that LS has Grown Up....A Little.

Fareway, You started this thread with a post that seemed to put down Justmowit and question his business practices. Now it seems that you are lifting him above all the naysayers.
Just what is it that you are trying to say about the situation?

marko
04-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Fareway, You started this thread with a post that seemed to put down Justmowit and question his business practices. Now it seems that you are lifting him above all the naysayers.
Just what is it that you are trying to say about the situation?

PM Lawn. That is one of the many tragedy's of being bipolar and not taking your medication. We accept it from Fareway and move on. It gives him a chance to interact with other people, even if on a somewhat limited basis.

greeneakers04
04-12-2005, 11:27 AM
Fareway,

Sincerely,

Now that is great! :laugh:

greeneakers04
04-12-2005, 11:37 AM

I believe JustMowIt doesn't raise prices on existing customers.

DFW Area Landscaper
04-12-2005, 12:31 PM
Why is everyone so nasty to others on this board? I go to financial and sports gambling web sites running the same software. I never see threads like this. All the belittling that goes on here is just silly. Why does it make anyone feel good to belittle a stranger on the internet?

I know this sounds childish, but if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

As for justmowit's operation, I've studied every post those guys have ever made on lawnsite. We also share information by e-mail, though I think all the help has gone from them to me in a unilateral direction. I think they are through with lawnsite because they haven't posted here in a long time. If I had to guess, I'd say Envy Lawn ran them off by belitting their practice of hiring hispanic workers in a thread I started in late March.

I can tell you this about their prices: They do not raise prices on existing customers. They feel a customer who is loyal to them should not be rewarded for their loyalty with a price increase. They raised prices this season on all their advertisements for new customers. If customers find them on the internet, the weekly price is $26. Bi-weekly is $31. The yellow pages still say $25 & $30 only because they did not get the change in on time. I think next year they intend to advertise higher prices in the yellow pages. I don't know if they are distributing any of the branded advertisements this year or not. Those are the door hangers with TJ's picture on them. Last year, they had the same prices on these door hangers as they had on their website. The Cheap, Cheap door hangers do not have the name of the company on them. The price last year was $19.95 weekly and $24.95 bi-weekly. This year, I have recieved one doorhanger from justmowit at my house. It was the un-branded Cheap Cheap door hanger. The price is $21.95 weekly and $26.95 bi-weekly. I had understood their practice was to advertise the branded door hangers through the end of April with higher prices and then switch to the cheap cheap door hangers from May through August. I guess I have misunderstood their marketing approach on this aspect.

Later,
DFW Area Landscaper

The C Man
04-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Fareway, just what is it that you are trying to say about the situation?
He's not trying to say anything, he's a troll. He starts threads, but rarely has anything of consequence to say once the thread is active.

BigMack
04-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Any lawn 12.00 .... Man am I busy...... Ya right...

Fareway Lawncare
04-12-2005, 08:17 PM
If customers find them on the internet, the weekly price is $26.

Advertised Web Price was $18 Three Years Ago...I'm Not sure Why You Girls Got your Panties in a Bunch...But From $18 to $26 is a Significant Increase in Three Years...That's All.

Argue Amongst Yourselves.

Steppenwolf
04-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Advertised Web Price was $18 Three Years Ago...I'm Not sure Why You Girls Got your Panties in a Bunch...But From $18 to $26 is a Significant Increase in Three Years...That's All.

Argue Amongst Yourselves.
I don't see how $2.66 a year is a very large increase in three years. Labor went up at least a couple bucks an hour,insurance is way up, gas went up etc.My panties are not in a bunch. Opps I forgot, you are living in your own boys world with Michael Jackson. Get a grip,let each each company run their company as they see fit. It is none of your business what he charges or how things are done and why you would attack that company is beyond me in a public forum.If you have issues with them,keep it private,discuss it with them ,not here on a place like this. Don't worry about the other guy or what he does,worry about what you do.Get your prioritories staight,set your goals and don't worry about a guy in another country and what he is doing.Geeez Happy Birthday John Kay :waving:

Fareway Lawncare
04-12-2005, 11:09 PM
I'm Not Sure What School of Economics you Graduated From but $2.66 a Year on a $150 Cut is Different than $2.66 on an $18 Cut.....The $2.66 is Irrelevant it's the Percentage.

Regardless it is Nice to See a Shift in Lawnsite Perceptions...5 Years Ago this Place was Awash in Contempt for Business Owners Like JustMowIt..

Steppenwolf
04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
[QUOTE=Fareway Lawncare]I'm Not Sure What School of Economics you Graduated From but $2.66 a Year on a $150 Cut is Different than $2.66 on an $18 Cut.....The $2.66 is Irrelevant it's the Percentage.

Fareway............go ride down the steps again and try to get out. Sean Adams this tread should be banned,...............NOW

marko
04-13-2005, 08:10 AM
I'm Not Sure What School of Economics you Graduated From but $2.66 a Year on a $150 Cut is Different than $2.66 on an $18 Cut.....The $2.66 is Irrelevant it's the Percentage.

Regardless it is Nice to See a Shift in Lawnsite Perceptions...5 Years Ago this Place was Awash in Contempt for Business Owners Like JustMowIt..

Fareway, I agree people respect Justmowit because he is successful, but there are probably only 5 - 10 people that are trying to duplicate it. He has just as many people now that will criticize him that it wont work, that he is bringing prices down, etc, etc, etc. I guess we fail to see your point? Still waiting to see your operation (website, fleet, equipment)

jerryrwm
04-13-2005, 10:08 AM

True the $2.66 is irrelevant, but maybe you would care to explain why the percentage increase is.

The percentage of increase only affects two parties in this situation. - Just Mowing is one and the other is the current or potential customers. If the customers don't want to pay the higher prices they won't and that only affects Just Mowing. And if they do pay it, it still only affects Just Mowing.

I don't think there is any ceiling on pricing other than what the market will bear. I believe that's called 'Supply and Demand' isn't it?

llama
04-13-2005, 10:44 AM
please don't run fareway off.

I have the thread saved about the steps and the kid using his mower to make a new entrance to the fence. If I have a bad day, I just read the thread to make my day better.

his stupidity makes my bad days better.

Fareway Lawncare
04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
You Kids Need a Quick Lesson in Economics if You Want to Run a Lawn Business..... If Your Ham Sandwiches go Up $2.66 per Year That's Different Than if it Costs You $2.66 more Each Year to Buy Your $200 Baggy Pants...You Must Use Percentages to See the Actual Change of Price as it Relates to Cost of Living Increases...

This is Basic Economics 101...More Later.

DennisF
04-13-2005, 08:11 PM
You Kids Need a Quick Lesson in Economics if You Want to Run a Lawn Business..... If Your Ham Sandwiches go Up $2.66 per Year That's Different Than if it Costs You $2.66 more Each Year to Buy Your $200 Baggy Pants...You Must Use Percentages to See the Actual Change of Price as it Relates to Cost of Living Increases...

This is Basic Economics 101...More Later.

If you do indeed run a lawn business then you should know that the COST of doing business in lawn care has increased far more than the general inflation figures released by government agencies. Gasoline prices have increased a lot more than ham sandwiches. Airline travel, shipping fees, utility bills and anything that uses oil or petroleum products to produce has increased far more than food or clothing (baggy pants?). Steel has doubled in price in the past 18 months and lawn mowers use a lot of steel.

In short...$2.66 per year is not out of line for a price increase in the lawn care business over the past 3 years.

BTW. No way in hell am I paying $200 for a pair of pants that don't fit. Come to think of it...I wouldn't pay $200 for a pair does fit.

Steppenwolf
04-13-2005, 08:31 PM
I guess we fail to see your point?

Marko,
I agree with ya on this one. 10 percent of 18 dollars is a dollar eighty and 10 percent of 150 dollars is fifteen dollars so exactly what are you trying to tell us teenagers about percentages Fareway? Four percent increase in the cost of something, you pay four more cents on the dollar.Excuse me my cell phone is going off and I can't reach down low enough to reach it in my baggy pants down around my knees. Please let us know what your point is and why you put down a company that I guess is doing ok from the sound of it. Some negative posts have been made but I think we still fail to understand what you are saying. Maybe try starting at the beginning again.I admit I might be missing something very obvious and never thought of it before.

rodfather
04-14-2005, 06:21 AM
You Kids Need a Quick Lesson

what's with the kids comment Kelvin...you older than me? Wiser? Definately NOT for sure...