PDA

View Full Version : Possible new lawn & Scenerio

ECS
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
After reading a lot of stuff lately, I have a scenerio I am interested in hearing replies on.

You have the oportunity to take on a new lawn and money is no issue, none what so ever. It is not a huge lawn, less than one acre. The person is very wealthy and you know you can charge him a lot more than you normally would charge a customer, and they would pay it. Do you charge this person the same rate that you would charge Joe Blow who lives a mile down the road, or would you charge him an outrageous amount because you know they will pay it?

And yes it is demanded that it be bagged every week and his flower beds done on a weekly basis.

br549oicu8
04-10-2005, 10:52 PM
Use good common sense......charge your standard rate.
If he ever found out you were upcharging him your name is dirt. Now if he feels you treat him fair and do excellent work he wil get you more jobs directly or indirectly.

Honesty is never a fault.

MMLawn
04-10-2005, 11:02 PM
If you are a truly honest businessman then of course you would charge him the same thing you would charge Joe Blow for the same work and any different shouldn't even cross your mind.

ECS
04-10-2005, 11:02 PM
What if this person also wanted a background check done on you and still the price did not matter?

br549oicu8
04-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Still charge the same and thank him for the opportunity with a handshake.
Sounds high profile....treat yourself and him fairly.
The best advertising is being seen at your best.....
Good luck!

ECS
04-10-2005, 11:14 PM
Yes, extremely high profile. Some or most on here would say my prices are too low, but they are within the area prices. I would never think of charging this person more than any of my other customers. If I get this person, it could make a huge difference in my success and growth. I have a few big name people now, and I am after 4 more. These people would be great to add to my refferences. Just hope it happens, but at least I know I had the opportunity to at least go after this person.

br549oicu8
04-10-2005, 11:16 PM
You have the answer. Now go get it!

ECS
04-10-2005, 11:22 PM
I wish it was that easy. If I get this lawn, it will be sight unseen, by the hour, and will get it without even talking to him or having the chance to speak to him.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-10-2005, 11:31 PM
I wish it was that easy. If I get this lawn, it will be sight unseen, by the hour, and will get it without even talking to him or having the chance to speak to him.

OK OK so who is him?

lawnman_scott
04-10-2005, 11:58 PM
It will obviously have to be perfect. Even on weeks when your behind because of rain or whatever. On top of that a background check????? Yes I would charge him more without a second thought.

ECS
04-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Plus if I get this lawn, you all will be the ones paying for me to do it. :D

ECS
04-11-2005, 08:41 PM
BTW, this lawn would be for the VP of the United States, Dick Cheney. Someone is working on it for me. This one lawn could help me like no other just because of who it is.

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Im right. Charge him more. Or what? he will tell bush and send the FBI after you? Good luck, more money or not, even if it doesnt help it would be cool to be able to tell people that.

ECS
04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
Don't think it is the FBI I need to worry about, but more like the Secrfet Service guys. My price will not be any more than the old man in town on a fixed income, but this can really set me off. The other names I am after are:

Sandra Bullock
Heather Thomas
Sam Walton

I do have other big names, and just got a heads up on another. The more big names I can get the better it will be for me.

StealthDT
04-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I used to be Heather Locklears towel boy at her pool. Donno what was her problem, everytime i dried her off she'd jump back in...

Lawn-Scapes
04-12-2005, 12:33 AM
Security clearance & high profile = higher rate. They pay more for everything... why not your services?

BTW.. you should not have posted the names. They'll find out.......

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2005, 12:37 AM
Yes I would upcharge, in the case of the elite wealthy, up to the total amount I feel I am worth and the job is worth. Not a penny more or less. In other words, I'd use the rate I wish I could charge everyone and get it.

In he case of any high profile politician, I'd probably jack up from that a bit more, because there are additional issues to consider that are not things you ordinarily run into.

ECS
04-12-2005, 12:55 AM
Yes I would upcharge, in the case of the elite wealthy, up to the total amount I feel I am worth and the job is worth. Not a penny more or less. In other words, I'd use the rate I wish I could charge everyone and get it.

In he case of any high profile politician, I'd probably jack up from that a bit more, because there are additional issues to consider that are not things you ordinarily run into.
So what you are saying is I should charge him like 100 per nail/screw and $2k for a toilet because the American public, you and everyone on here, will be flipping the bill?

Not my style, I will charge him the same price as I do anyone, because that is my price, no matter who it is.

Lawnscapes, yes they can check on me and see perhaps this post and know that he will be charged just like anyone else.

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2005, 01:24 AM
So what you are saying is I should charge him like 100 per nail/screw and $2k for a toilet because the American public, you and everyone on here, will be flipping the bill?

Not my style, I will charge him the same price as I do anyone, because that is my price, no matter who it is.

Lawnscapes, yes they can check on me and see perhaps this post and know that he will be charged just like anyone else.

HA! So you think all his money comes from American public funds?
So what do you suppose the pay is just for being the VP?
Go figure that out and see if that wage affords him his lifestlye....

But yes I would charge FULL price for anyone who has more money than they can spend in their lifetime, and cut the single mom making $25k a year a break. I say that because to the elite wealthy, the ANNUAL cost of lawn care compounded over many years is as insignificant to them as a penny is to us.

So yeah, why not reward yourself a little for the BS you are certain to endure in this case? Oh I forgot, because it's sooo cool to be able to say you cut Dick Cheney's yard, that it more than makes up for it....

Shawns Lawns
04-12-2005, 05:26 PM
I would charge what i needed to cover my expenses and make a profit. :waving:

marko
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Charge him your standard rate. You see how people's attitudes on here are about low ballers (or who they claim are low ballers), whats the difference in gouging?

JSymons
04-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Wouldn't there very likely be a clause in the contract that you must keep quiet about the job and not discuss this to anyone? I expect you would have quite a rigorous screening..

That said, charge more. Charge even more if you can't tell people "I do Dick Cheney's lawn..."

lawnandplow42
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
charge more

Charles
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
If it were Chinky, I would charge him 10 times the norm and bring the roundup. HAHA
Man, I think to get a job like that you would have to be able to keep a secret lol. Who you going to tell next? The national enquirer? :rolleyes: