PDA

View Full Version : Lost Another One

chimmygew
04-11-2005, 12:52 AM
Got home and had one of my customers call and say they were dropping me. This lady is in her 80's and I've mowed her for 3 years. Never any complaining or anything. I asked her what the problem was and she said she talked it over with her daughter and decided she wants it push mowed. I told her no problem, we can use a 21" mower, but will cost more. She said no she wasn't paying any more than she does now. I asked her if she hired someone else and she said no. She said the reason she wants it done with a push mower is because we get done too fast with a rider. WTF... I tried to tell well Mrs. XYZ we use this equipment for efficiency blah blah blah. Told her we were a business just like a plumbing company or telephone company. She told me we weren't the same that all we do is cut grass and on that note I said have a nice day and hung up. I know in this Biz we aren't gonna get a lotta respect like other businesses, but damn... A little would be nice. I mean, I wanted to reach through the phone and yank her walker out from under her. I just bit my lip and took as much as I could. Anyone else have any probs this year???

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 01:08 AM
yeah they could have a little tact before calling you a moronic loser. But thats how alot of people are. Im so sick of residential, in my experience commercial have a bit more respect, for the most part.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Got home and had one of my customers call and say they were dropping me. This lady is in her 80's and I've mowed her for 3 years. Never any complaining or anything. I asked her what the problem was and she said she talked it over with her daughter and decided she wants it push mowed. I told her no problem, we can use a 21" mower, but will cost more. She said no she wasn't paying any more than she does now. I asked her if she hired someone else and she said no. She said the reason she wants it done with a push mower is because we get done too fast with a rider. WTF... I tried to tell well Mrs. XYZ we use this equipment for efficiency blah blah blah. Told her we were a business just like a plumbing company or telephone company. She told me we weren't the same that all we do is cut grass and on that note I said have a nice day and hung up. I know in this Biz we aren't gonna get a lotta respect like other businesses, but damn... A little would be nice. I mean, I wanted to reach through the phone and yank her walker out from under her. I just bit my lip and took as much as I could. Anyone else have any probs this year???

What is it with the older folks? I have just about gotten to the point when someone calls I dont know I want to ask their age, if its over 60 dont want them. The worst 2 customers I have now is a 76 and 79 year old.

ECS
04-11-2005, 01:17 AM
All but one of my customers are over 60 and never had a problem with any of them. I don't mind them at all.

Green Pastures
04-11-2005, 01:42 AM
You're better off.

IMoLwnz.com
04-11-2005, 02:19 AM
people want to pay by the HR not by the minute... WHY should we get the shaft cause we spend tons of $$ on good equipment to do a good job and at a good pace... my 10,000 mower better be fast to make some $$ why should we be penalized for that... I just called one of my older persons daughters to talk to her about what I charge I need to raise the price but its for a "friend" so I hate to say I wont do it but the price HAS to go up!! thats it... Fixed income or not for older folks, I dont want to be on a fixed income I need to make $$

lawn_pro
04-11-2005, 06:19 AM
don't take her back when she calls because the grass is a foot high

LawnScapers of Dayton
04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
I can understand how this is irritating. But old people can be very concerned about value for the dollar...and to many of them that is equated to time. I have worked very hard to educate my customers that weekly service pricing is not based on time but on the job.

So if I mow with a 36" WB this year and next year I show up with a 60" ZTR and it take me 60% less time... that will not make the price 60% lower.

Most of my customers like the fact that I am in and out in 30 minutes or less....

You will get another customer to replace her....

Derek

65hoss
04-11-2005, 09:01 AM
A few older people over the years have been good. But most...well lets say I don't deal with them anymore. I came to the conclusion I must make enough to support my family. I can't do that dealing with old crybabies.

chimmygew
04-11-2005, 01:57 PM
One of my nicest commercial accounts that I lost finally was mowed by the new guy. It had taken me 3 years to get the grass as nice as it was. They had 100% tall fescue and we had it completely weed free and was cut at 3 1/2 inches every week. Just a beautiful lawn and striped out really welll. The new guy went in and cut it at about 2 inches and the deck was uneven on one side. He tried to bag it and couldn't figure out what to do with the grass so he dumped it on the edge of the highway in front of the business. He must have give up on bagging the back cause all you could see was dead grass on top of the lawn. I just laughed my butt off when I drove by because instead of dark green it was bright yellow. Cheaper isn't always better.

wherebluegrassgrows
04-11-2005, 10:35 PM
Amen, to cheaper isn't always better. I noticed one of my now former clients had already been cut when I arrived today. On my way to the door I noticed a big scalp through an uneven part of the lawn. Cheaper is cheaper and you get what you pay for. Good, it's all good!