PDA

View Full Version : Customers who know more than we do!

MowerMoney
04-10-2005, 11:59 PM
One of my neighbours asked me last fall to put him on my list to cut his lawn this year cause his mower wasn't working right and he is an older gentleman. So a few weeks ago I gave him a price of $30 per cut. I'm thinking about 40 minutes to cut, trim & blow. He says OK. It took him more than an hour or so.

He knows I have larger equipment than he had. He tells me yesterday that he had his mower fixed and it cost him $300 so he is going to mow it himself again. When I asked him why he fixed it if he hired me, he says he just wanted it in case he felt like mowing between my cuts???? :dizzy: But since it cost so much he won't use me.

Upon further conversation, it came out that he figures my overhed CAN'T be anymore than $1.50 per hour and if I cut his lawn in 15 minutes (don't know how he figured that time), that I'm making $120 - $1.50 per hour, Told him my overhead is between $12 - $15 per hour and he says "Don't think so!"
Tried to explain to him that I may cut faster than him but my equipment also costs more than his did, plus my truck, trailer, other tools, fuel, insurance, etc, etc. makes up more than $1.50 per hr. Wouldn't listen. :angry:

I used to have respect for this guy. Oh well. Would just be another PITA. Better to not start than to get aggrevated throughout the year.

QualityLawnCare4u
04-11-2005, 12:05 AM
Im not being disrespectful to the older folks but every pita Ive ever had has been over 60. You cant tell them a thing and they are still in the 1950s mode. 1.50 overhead! What is he thinking! I will not even waste my time trying to explain it to them, just wasting my breath.

LALawnboy
04-11-2005, 12:53 AM
MowerMoney, i know exactly how you feel. i've been doing this commercial lot for about 3 or 4 years without problem. talked to the owner of the property today and i lost the job because "it was too expensive and her son would do it for cheaper." it was only $25 bucks every other week, not huge lot, but a lot of weedeatin. i hate when people think they know it all.

T Edwards
04-11-2005, 05:48 AM
"Told him my overhead is between $12 - $15 per hour and he says "Don't think so!" Tried to explain to him that I may cut faster than him but my equipment also costs more than his did, plus my truck, trailer, other tools, fuel, insurance, etc, etc."

I read this type of thread here all the time and just shake my head wondering why in the world you guys feel you have to divulge numbers and justify everything to customers. Know what your true costs are, charge accordingly and don't tell everything you know. Unless the people you are talking with have owned their own companies they will have no appreciation for what you are telling them.

MowerMoney
04-11-2005, 08:04 AM
"I read this type of thread here all the time and just shake my head wondering why in the world you guys feel you have to divulge numbers and justify everything to customers. Know what your true costs are, charge accordingly and don't tell everything you know. Unless the people you are talking with have owned their own companies they will have no appreciation for what you are telling them."

T,
This guy has owned his own business. That's what really got me. I was even telling my wife that. I thought he would have more sense. I think he was in retail. And you know how much that stuff is marked up?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-11-2005, 08:57 AM
I personally would not divuldge any of my business finances to any customer, not even mom or pops. You do not have to justify to anyone why you charge what you charge. As long as you know what your expenses are what you need to make a solid living dont sweat old ass know-it-alls like this clown.

Jeff@SGLC.ca
04-11-2005, 03:09 PM
I personally would not divuldge any of my business finances to any customer, not even mom or pops.

My mother is my CFO so she is the one usually telling me my finances.

ince8728
04-11-2005, 05:24 PM
you guys will LOVE this one. it doesn't have to do with price but more with old people. When I first started maintaining this old couples property I had a 21" honda. Now I have Walker 48" and a Lesco 36". One day the lady goes, i don't think those big machines cut as good, i liked it more when you used that little one. Those big ones just push the grass down but don't cut it. (maybe the bigger drive tires give off that illusion) I had to bite my toung but inside I was having a Fit, how dare you bash my Walker!!!

wally world III
04-11-2005, 05:27 PM
new jersey problem again !!!!!!!!!
oh well ?????????????????????????????????????????????/ :blob3: :cool2:
payup payup payup payup

65hoss
04-11-2005, 05:59 PM
I rarely work for neighbors...unless that neighbor owns his own business. Then they have a clue.

Soupy
04-11-2005, 07:21 PM
Forget about your expenses, you should have told him that his overhead is higher then $1.5/hr with that $300 repair bill etc.

Jpocket
04-11-2005, 09:13 PM
One of my neighbours asked me last fall to put him on my list to cut his lawn this year cause his mower wasn't working right and he is an older gentleman. So a few weeks ago I gave him a price of $30 per cut. I'm thinking about 40 minutes to cut, trim & blow. He says OK. It took him more than an hour or so.

He knows I have larger equipment than he had. He tells me yesterday that he had his mower fixed and it cost him $300 so he is going to mow it himself again. When I asked him why he fixed it if he hired me, he says he just wanted it in case he felt like mowing between my cuts???? :dizzy: But since it cost so much he won't use me.

Upon further conversation, it came out that he figures my overhed CAN'T be anymore than $1.50 per hour and if I cut his lawn in 15 minutes (don't know how he figured that time), that I'm making $120 - $1.50 per hour, Told him my overhead is between $12 - $15 per hour and he says "Don't think so!"
Tried to explain to him that I may cut faster than him but my equipment also costs more than his did, plus my truck, trailer, other tools, fuel, insurance, etc, etc. makes up more than $1.50 per hr. Wouldn't listen. :angry:

I used to have respect for this guy. Oh well. Would just be another PITA. Better to not start than to get aggrevated throughout the year.
Screw him I can't stand people like that

cantoo
04-11-2005, 10:29 PM
I used to keep the bill of sale for my Walker handy to show to customers like that. This was usually as I was explaining to them that they needed to find a cheap neighbour boy to cut their lawns from then on.
You should have hired him for 25 cents an hour to pull weeds for you, he might understand overhead then.

GrassBustersLawn
04-11-2005, 10:42 PM
T EDWARDS said "Unless the people you are talking with have owned their own companies they will have no appreciation for what you are telling them."

One of my larger residential accounts was a CEO of a NATIONAL student loan company. He was Making big bucks!! He had already been "golden parachuted" from another company that he was CEO at, which was bought out. Made millions off of that. The student loan company got bought by another mega student loan company and he was "golden parachuted" for the SECOND TIME, again making millions. He lives in a million + home...that looks like SH!# because he was too cheap (multi-millionaire) to pay me to keep it looking top notch. He actually asked to BORROW one of my trucks on a Saturday to go to LOWE'S to get evergreens because he was too cheap to pay for the 6 foot ones (his request) he got an estimate from me to install. NATURALLY I SAID NO to his request. (You know CEO's don't hear NO much from their underlings.) Anyway, I coined a new term from dealing with him......I call him a C.R.B. - short for CHEAP RICH B@ST@RD.

The moral of this long story is that EVEN BUSINESS PEOPLE want to overlook that we have overhead expenses & think we should do stuff for next to nothing!

Oh, by the way, HE DIDN"T GET A CONTRACT RENEWAL SENT OUT THIS YEAR. He's not my PITA anymore!

Mike

grassmanvt
04-11-2005, 11:25 PM
because he was too cheap (multi-millionaire) to pay me to keep it looking top notch. He actually asked to BORROW one of my trucks on a Saturday to go to LOWE'S to get evergreens because he was too cheap to pay for the 6 foot ones (his request) he got an estimate from me to install.
Mike[/QUOTE]

Oh, that takes some cahuna's (spelling?), what next, "how much to mow my lawn, oh thats too much, can I borrow the mower?" You should have said sure, if I can through a party at your mansion you cheap s.o.b. This sounds like some of my customers, they make more yearly on interest than I make working but cry poverty every time I try to collect.

Green Pastures
04-12-2005, 12:10 AM
I don't work for people who ask to many questions anymore. I ask a couple of quick questions at the outset and I can EASILY pick out who will end up being a customer or not based on their answers to my questions.

I've learned that I do things my way and if you agree then you can be my customer. I'm not going to alter my successful business strategy just because a potential customer thinks I should do things his way.

If you don't agree and can't quickly understand why I do things the way I do them I just politely say thanks but no thanks. Sometimes I just price it so high I know they wont hire me but if they do it's worth listening to them rant.

Also, I've been harping about contracts since I got here, what, 3 years ago.

If you get a signed contract for a years work, people are WAY less likely to use you like a bathroom mop.

I'd rather scare 15 of 20 potential customers away with my 4 page contract and get good, paying, non bothersome customers than get all the tire kickers and people who just want to complain about something.

My bills are getting paid, business is growing and I'm happy.

YMMV

Envy Lawn Service
04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
A $1.50 an hour? HA!!!!

I would have told him flat out "your expenses to mow your own lawn are more than $1.50 and hour.... unless you had your mower converted to solar power fo $300."

Kickin Your Grass
04-12-2005, 07:35 AM

Your overhead is none of his business!