PDA

View Full Version : Watch them thar guide wires.......they'll get ya

HOMER
04-11-2005, 01:24 AM
I was mowing a property Saturday that I've mowed since 99, the only thing different was I was using my brand new (12 hrs) 27-60 Lazer with the new ROPS :rolleyes: in place but folded completely down. I approached the same guide wires that I've passed by 100 times in the past and got as close the them as I usually do and ducked my head as I usually do.............but something strange happened this time :cry: as the folks at the intersection were stopped for the light and of course their attention had to be on the guy mowing grass. As I made my pass at a good 7-8 mph all of a sudden I find myself with the front of the mower standing straight up, me at a very sudden stop, the left rear wheel on the ground and the right one 2 feet in the air. The knob on the inside of the ROPS had hung on the guide wire and stopped me cold in my tracks..........for once in my 43 years I was "hung"...........and not the way I would prefer to be! :help: I never looked at the motorists.....I was extremely embarrased at what had just happened and still stuck, working the levers back and forth didn't get me anywhere either. I dug a pretty good hole with the left tire but wasn't getting off the wire. I ripped the black knob off thinking it would give me some relief but when I did I say that the head of the bolt, which is now bent, was what was keeping me suspended. I did have enough sense left to turn the blades off and then try and pull the cable off the bolt head. This didn't work and to be honest with ya I still don't know how it got loose. It finally unhooked itself and the mower came crashing down. I gave a big thumbs up to whoever might have been watching cause I still didn't look at them :blush: and hauled ass back up the hill and finished the job.

I've been mowing since 96 and have yet to turn over a mower. The very thing that was supposed to protect me damn near killed me! If that bolt had not have been there I would have been fine. Tomorrow the ROPS might be removed if it doesn't void the warranty. If nothing else those bolts will come out and be tossed in the bucket with all the other useless bolts in my life.

Ya'll be careful out there...........them guide wires will get ya good!!!! :angry:

LwnmwrMan22
04-11-2005, 01:28 AM
First thing I did when I got my Kubota ZD-28 was hook the ROPS on a tree branch and break the thing off, promptly after crashing back to the ground from the neat-o wheelie I had been doing.

Second thing I did was promptly drive over to the truck, spend about 45 minutes taking the ROPS off of the mower and lugging it into the trailer.

Those things are heavy when you're moving them all by yourself. :dizzy:

i_plant_art
04-11-2005, 01:31 AM
ok im lost what do you mean by "guide wire" explain this further

HOMER
04-11-2005, 01:33 AM
I was mad enough Saturday that I could have chewed the sumbeech off!

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 01:35 AM
it doesnt void the warranty, but you have to take off the right (i think) wheel to get to one of the bolts. I hit mine on a low orange tree branch and felt like i was going over backwards. It did jar me real good when it came crashing down. Just throw the stupid things in the back of the shed, because im sure we will neeed to put them back on when its time to sell.

ChadA
04-11-2005, 01:40 AM
Sounds like a hell of a ride. Something to look out for in the future. Glad your OK and thanks for the laugh.

HOMER
04-11-2005, 01:40 AM
It seems to me that anyone with a brain would know when steep was too steep. I'm sure they put these on to save lives but turning you over backwards on flat ground is just as dangerous as rolling over sideways and drowning in a pond. People use common sense to stay alive and healthy. These ROPS have, IMO, added another degree of liability to a company trying to avoid liability issues.

Green Pastures
04-11-2005, 01:41 AM
http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30470

HOMER
04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
And you added something to it with that foolishness????

malojeer
04-11-2005, 02:00 AM
knocked a metal fence tee post on my head with my Rops.The customer had it in between a wooden fence post and a tree about 5 feet up pushing the top of the wooden post straight. Went to cut between tree and fence and the metal tee post came down on my head now I have a large knot on my head.

BobR
04-11-2005, 08:46 AM
HOMER - Glad you only got a scare and a bit embarrassed. You have reinforced my opinion of ROPS, both TORO & EXMARK have sent me offers to install the piece of junk on my older mower and I have declined. Returned the solicitation cards with 'decline offer' checked and explained that the landscaping on my accounts could be damaged by its use (not to mention myself).

BobR

accuratelawn
04-11-2005, 10:46 AM
Homer,
Glad you are ok.....has the redness in your cheeks faded yet?
I was shocked to see that you purchased a Lazer. How does it compare with the dixies you have run for years?

grass_cuttin_fool
04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Homer, If ya had of bought a Scag, the rops are still an option and that situation wouldnt have happened

kwelch
04-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Glad your ok. That probably could have been worse.

beransfixitinc
04-11-2005, 12:27 PM
HOMER - Glad you only got a scare and a bit embarrassed. You have reinforced my opinion of ROPS, both TORO & EXMARK have sent me offers to install the piece of junk on my older mower and I have declined. Returned the solicitation cards with 'decline offer' checked and explained that the landscaping on my accounts could be damaged by its use (not to mention myself).

BobR

Well hey, that will be good enough for them. It will legally release them from any liability should you be injured or God forbid, killed in an accidental roll over situation without the ROPS installed. I do not intend this to get me "flamed" (whatever that word means) but it now became your choice to take your life into your hands if you should roll.

Eric 1
04-11-2005, 09:50 PM
You TRADER!!!!! you bought an ex....an exmmmark! J/k. :D

Funny story thought. (ROTF) :dizzy: :laugh:

........now, if you had just been on the DIXIE like your supposed to be..........

Tadams
04-11-2005, 10:01 PM
I've got the same 27hp 60" lazer and the first day I got it I went out and did about 6 yards and then went straight home and took that thing off! On the properties that I cut I am always dodging around and under obstacles. That is the last thing that I need on a mower. I guess in the right conditions it might be of some help to someone but not me.

grasswhacker
04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
I've got the same 27hp 60" lazer and the first day I got it I went out and did about 6 yards and then went straight home and took that thing off! On the properties that I cut I am always dodging around and under obstacles. That is the last thing that I need on a mower. I guess in the right conditions it might be of some help to someone but not me.

I'd be dragging swingsets all over the place. No thanks to those things.

bart may
04-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I just came inside from mowing today on my new toro. It only took me about 40 yards and trying to circle around a tree that I had done for years. My front end lifted and I heard cracking, low and behold I snapped a huge branch off a tree. I'm taking mine off tomarrow, I can't afford to loose accounts because of broken branches. PS. the rops was even folded down. :dizzy:

clay duncan
04-11-2005, 10:18 PM
i used to work at a factory that made 1.5 million iv solution units per day. anyway the mowing company that they had contracted accidentals hit a guide wire which ultimately broke the telephone pole and caused a major power outage. the power outage caused the plant to have to throw away all the product that was being autoclaved (sterilized) and the 1200 workers sat around for most of the shift before the power was returned. anyhoo the mowing company had a claim on their insurance for around a million dollars. you never know what looms around the next corner...

clay duncan
04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
accidentally

Norm Al
04-11-2005, 10:20 PM
thanks for the advice!
http://kcadrenalin.com/image/appl.gif

HOMER
04-12-2005, 09:01 AM
The Exmark has it's good points and it's bad. The worst of course is the ROPS at the moment. The good is the deck and the mulch kit. I can cut a lot lower with this mower and the deck wheels take all the scalping possibilities away.....well.......95% of them anyway.

The redness is gone but the memory is there! :realmad:
I know I'm a trader
The Scag dealer was 30 minutes away!!! I did love the Wildcat and I know I would have liked the TTiger but......time has gotten to be money. Exmark dealer guaranteed me a ride no matter what. Scag dealer didn't have the extra mowers nor did he have a mechanic wurfashit. Chopper dealer was a full hour away.....2 hrs for a trip to the shop..........he did have loaners but again.....time is money. payup

ROPS is still on but it's raining today :D , might be a good day to remove the branch/guidewire/head bangin' POS.

I hope I covered everything.

And finally............Eric if your reading this..........it was a time thing Dude......I still have my Choppers and my sign hanging on the office wall. Don't be too upset with me cause I went RED!!!! ;)

Eric 1
04-12-2005, 10:47 PM
And finally............Eric if your reading this..........it was a time thing Dude......I still have my Choppers and my sign hanging on the office wall. Don't be too upset with me cause I went RED!!!! ;)

Dude, its all cool!! :cool: I was just mess'n around with ya. :p

Toy2
04-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Homer, make sure you throw the shorts you were wearing away, no type of laundry detergent will get them clean!! Glad your safe!! :D