PDA

View Full Version : Winter Work

Something D
04-11-2005, 08:39 AM
This thread is primarily for those who do not plow snow. In east TN there really isn't enough snow to plow to include this in our services. My question is this. Does anyone put up holiday lights for cutomers or are there any other ideas or services you could include during the winter months?

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC
04-11-2005, 08:52 AM
I dont live in Tennessee and I do live in the snow belt, but I hear people talk about tree work during the winter.

kipcom
04-12-2005, 04:56 AM
There are tons of ideas and work you can do in the "off-season". especially in your area.

Gotta Luv the Bristol area > Nascar < :cool2:

Kickin Your Grass
04-12-2005, 07:28 AM
We do seasonal decorations, tree trimming, leaf removal, and any other odd and end jobs we can find.

Appalachian landscape
04-12-2005, 03:14 PM
lawnmowing servicce goes to handyman service. I can fix most anything home related.

rsls
04-12-2005, 03:37 PM
I started doing holiday decor take down and have been researching so I can do both put up and take down. There are some good sites to get info, enter holiday lighting into your search engine.

Todd's lawncare
04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I have a trash route and i also do hauling as in clean outs and clean ups . I also haul scrap cars trucks to home appliances .

pjslawncare/landscap
04-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Im phasing out snow removal for the reason that we dont usually get a lot of snow. I just got my class A CDL and Im planning to purchase a reasonably priced used semi for the purpose of hauling over the road from Dec to April. I always liked the idea of driving a semi around the US but loved the lawncare/landscaping more. This way I can drive for a few monthes and go back to lawncare for the season. I talked to my insurance agent and he is willing to cover the semi during these monthes as long as there is no loan on it. I already have three trucks, the largest is a 16' flatbed that they cover

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Im phasing out snow removal for the reason that we dont usually get a lot of snow. I just got my class A CDL and Im planning to purchase a reasonably priced used semi for the purpose of hauling over the road from Dec to April. I always liked the idea of driving a semi around the US but loved the lawncare/landscaping more. This way I can drive for a few monthes and go back to lawncare for the season. I talked to my insurance agent and he is willing to cover the semi during these monthes as long as there is no loan on it. I already have three trucks, the largest is a 16' flatbed that they cover
that is a cool idea!!

nocutting
04-12-2005, 09:00 PM
Hi, "Please pardon me on this", Why is it, You guys with the largest client bases or potential dont offer "Anti-Dessicants" during the winter months? payup Its hard to believe you guys would want some LCO or Arborist takeing the "Iceing" off of your Cake?"....No-pesticide lic. needed and a $40 back pack sprayer is all that is needed....I sell anywhere from 1-3 applications dureing the winter months [ charge double for single treatments / useing a heavier rate of application], My mimimun price for a 3000sqft property is $40, [ usally 3-properties for a 4gal. tank]....Guys ?,,,,Doin the shrubs......$95 for about 10,000 sqft properties and on estate size properties 1-3ac, I get about $450.00 [ thats 2-3 , 4gal. tanks]...Time wise we.re talking about 1,1/2 hrs. max. [ and I'm faster if my ass is freezeing ].....This is Serious money, for the least amount of equipment.......I usally average about $1200 per day......"And So Can You".....Good Luck-regards Saxon :cool2:

cleancutccl
04-12-2005, 09:16 PM
I do taxes in the winter for HR Block, get my own filed for free and learn the ins and outs of business taxes. Also looking into being property manager for some friends of mine.

laborador
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM

Has this idea worked out for you. I was thinking of getting a Class A for the same reason and that is to keep me busy in the winter months.

John B Laidlaw
12-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Applying an anti-dessicant when the temperatures are in the thirties and expected to drop below freezing is not only a waste but you will be doing more harm then good. An old technique here in the east and in the midwest is to erect barriors against the prevailing winds to prevent winter burn and dessication. You can purchase yards of burlap at garden centers, staple gun, and stakes for the smaller shrubs and charge accordingly for T & M and custom jobs for those large shrubs/ smaller trees. Check any arbor care book and one can find those evergreen trees and shrubs that are prone to winter damage. You can still offer anti-dessicants but they need to be applied when temps are going to stay moderate. Hope this helps.

upidstay
12-06-2005, 03:50 PM
Anti-dessicants, deer repellant, holiday decorations. We also do some tree work, mostly apple tree pruning. Drive/pick up customers from the airport. I also have a few customers who I set and monitor mouse traps for. Wealthy people don't ike to do anything for themselves, so I do it for them and help them out with any excess cash they may have lying around. I have bartended some holiday parties, we park cars for people. I even went shopping for a a customer once: picked up her groceries and some presents.

DixieFerris
12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
We do nothing except plan for next year, beat the competition out the door in the spring to get new customers, and snowmobile. Plus take a 3-4 week vacation. Gotta budget your money like a teacher

parkwest
12-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Have you looked at this site yet?

http://jndent.refortunes.hop.clickbank.net

Sounds like it would be perfect since we are always driving around our areas anyhow.

Albemarle Lawn
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
We rent space in the mall.

There, we offer one stop shopping for lots of things. Dental work, tax advice, delivering babies, open heart surgery, help with corporate mergers, etc.

We also have a mobile service that will come to you and help with marriages, aircraft repair, gutter cleaning, and even neuter you cat, or cure your son of homosexuality or being a democratic liberal.

All in all pretty busy.

Tool Power
12-07-2005, 01:28 AM
No rest for the wicked. Trusted people takes charge selling and managing garden machineries and scooters.

NattyLawn
12-07-2005, 07:23 PM
Have you looked at this site yet?

http://jndent.refortunes.hop.clickbank.net

Sounds like it would be perfect since we are always driving around our areas anyhow.

The link doesn't work. Can you repost it?

Thanks