PDA

View Full Version : Would You Work for this Lady??

Duramax99
04-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Saturday I go on an appointment. I'm talking with the lady and everything is going good until she leans to me and says "I'm on a limited income." Like that is going to change the price. She wanted a Hort oil app done, some pruning and a tree moved. No chance of any lawn apps or mowing she loves her current lawn boy. Would you want to work for her?? Job will be about $2,000.00 if she signs. She might be a PITA. It's a roll of the dice.

sildoc
04-11-2005, 03:08 PM
To answer your question, If she signs the contract for onetime work I would do it. 50% up front rest due upon completion.

MarcSmith
04-11-2005, 03:28 PM
I agre with sildoc.....nothing wrong with one timer's provided they pay. Donald trumps Ex wife Ivana is on a limited income too.....If guess we all are on limited incomes...we are limited by the amount we want to work...

When I was whoring for TruGreen I did many one time installs with no chance of ever getting the maintenance contract.....Look at it as unbudgeted income...

HighGrass
04-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Saturday I go on an appointment. I'm talking with the lady and everything is going good until she leans to me and says "I'm on a limited income." Like that is going to change the price. She wanted a Hort oil app done, some pruning and a tree moved. No chance of any lawn apps or mowing she loves her current lawn boy. Would you want to work for her?? Job will be about $2,000.00 if she signs. She might be a PITA. It's a roll of the dice.

50% When the truck pulls up and the rest before it leaves. CASH.

Charles
04-11-2005, 04:38 PM
"Limited income" is the standard reply for most of the elderly. The elderly I work with are the most trustworthy as long as you are up front with them

Shuter
04-11-2005, 04:51 PM
Same here. I tell customer $75.00 per yard for mulch. He says no way, price is too high. He asks for another option. I tell him $30.00 per yard and $45.00 per yard for labor and delivery, he likes this. I stopped trying to figure people out a long time ago.

dvmcmrhp52
04-11-2005, 06:44 PM
"Limited income" is the standard reply for most of the elderly. The elderly I work with are the most trustworthy as long as you are up front with them

Yes.

Limited incomes checks come from investment banking firms and their trust funds as well.

Cut
04-11-2005, 06:54 PM
You know what? From now on, that old "limited income" crap is going to go in one ear and out the other. Seems like every one I know is on it.

Funny thing is, these people seem to have it better than me. Nice homes and multiple new cars, but on either "fixed" or "limited" income.

I want on limited income to then.

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 07:47 PM
To answer your question, If she signs the contract for onetime work I would do it. 50% up front rest due upon completion.
So your going to get at least 1/2 with no hassle? I say 100% up front. But I wouldnt bother with it, she seems to be price fishing already.

sheshovel
04-11-2005, 07:56 PM
You know what? From now on, that old "limited income" crap is going to go in one ear and out the other. Seems like every one I know is on it.

Funny thing is, these people seem to have it better than me. Nice homes and multiple new cars, but on either "fixed" or "limited" income.

I want on limited income to then.

Hey now most of these people have worked all there lives for what they have,and that's what they have and that's it, just social security lucky to get the house paid off.
Just cuz they live in a nice house and have nice cars dosen't mean they havent fought tooth and nail for it,or had husbands who sacrificed thier lives in WW2
for it to be possible for you to even have the freedsom to own your own businesses.

So have a little respect for thease older folks,they have had to work for what they have gotten alot harder than you ever will have to work and sacrifice...MY 2CENTs

AND furthermore $2000.00 sounds like a whole lotta money for "some"pruning -1 hort oil app- and a small tree removal(Ignore this if it is a big big tree removal)IMAO but hey.. like they say get every last penny you can"It's just good business".....

Todd's lawncare
04-11-2005, 09:11 PM
So your going to get at least 1/2 with no hassle? I say 100% up front. But I wouldnt bother with it, she seems to be price fishing already.
Do you get many jobs with it being all upfront ???

Green Pastures
04-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I did not even read your post.

NO, I would not work for her. The simple fact that you have to ask is enough for me.

I'm becoming VERY picky with who I will work for.

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Do you get many jobs with it being all upfront ???
Every one of my residentials is paid in advance. Commercial arent, but they are under contract. But i dont do much big landscaping, so its not big amounts for the most part just monthly maintenance, but i trust no one. And if they dont trust me, so be it, call someone else.

Precision
04-11-2005, 10:31 PM
I agre with sildoc.....nothing wrong with one timer's provided they pay. Donald trumps Ex wife Ivana is on a limited income too.....If guess we all are on limited incomes...we are limited by the amount we want to work...

When I was whoring for TruGreen I did many one time installs with no chance of ever getting the maintenance contract.....Look at it as unbudgeted income...

Yup and I have told the retired scam artists that too. Nothing burns me more than a person with a new home and a new mercedes telling me they are on a fixed income. Sure Fixed in the sense that you have your IRA, 401K, pension (military and private) and it is not going to change based on how little you work.

Cut
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
And you know what, its not that they are on fixed income that bothers me, its just how they like to use it as a tool to get you to work for nothing.

mastercare
04-14-2005, 02:47 PM
I think we all need to stick to our prices. In the past I was willing to fudge a price here or there, which is still okay on bigger accounts. If you're doing the full work-up, you can make it up on Mulch/Hedging or something else.

I had 2 calls last night telling me that they want me, but the price is too high. Call back so we can talk.

I called the first guy who says I asked a bit much for cutting, and that I was higher than the "going rate" in the area. I informed him that I have 10 customers in the neighborhood, and that I was charging the going rate. he's gonna think about it.

Second call was a renewal customer who wanted to know why the $2 increase. Of course I blamed it on Gas, and increasing business costs. He asked if the price would drop when the gas goes down!! I told him that I'll re-evaluate the cost of doing business every year. He seemed satsified enough, and signed up.

The point I'm making is that I used to be afraid to turn down customers and stick to my guns. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the more confidence you can show. I've learned the hard way thorugh experience that confidence is what gives you leverage. If you're unwilling to budge, they'll probably take your offer. IF you show weakness, they have the bargaining power. My average lawn price is $3 higher this year, and I'm turning away some loser accounts that I had last year.

Keep to your prices so that WE can determine the "going rate", not the customer.

Mo Green
04-14-2005, 02:58 PM
The point I'm making is that I used to be afraid to turn down customers and stick to my guns. The more you do it, the easier it gets, and the more confidence you can show. I've learned the hard way thorugh experience that confidence is what gives you leverage. If you're unwilling to budge, they'll probably take your offer. IF you show weakness, they have the bargaining power. My average lawn price is $3 higher this year, and I'm turning away some loser accounts that I had last year.

Keep to your prices so that WE can determine the "going rate", not the customer.
I am beginning to use this philosophy as well. Seems like when I give a price and tell the customer this is it, they may complain a bit, but if I hold strong they see things my way.

Precision
04-14-2005, 10:54 PM
They may not see it your way especially on a new bid for business, but those are usually the type of people that aren't worth it at twice the price.

I charge at or above market rate. I land 30-40% of my bids and am very happy with that. It usually works as a great insulator against PITA ism. But I do have one or two that snuck in.

Confidence is definately the key.
Yes ma'am I said $95.
But the last guy did it for $55.
And as I recall you said you fired him because he rarely showed up and did a bad job when he did.
As always it is your decision, but for me the extra money would be worth it to have an insured professional coming EVERY week.
Then silence.

Like I said it works about 30-40% of the time (more like 70% if I get this far). But the price is the price.

MarcSmith
04-15-2005, 07:58 AM
I had a Pakistani Doctor gripe about the price. it was his second year with me and the price went up 10 bucks a month. He was the first client in a particular neighbor hood on a corner lot near the entrance. I had bent over backwards over teh years, extra cut here and there for a special event and what not....So when he got the new contract and griped I gave him name and numbers of some of my freindly competitors.

Well the SOB calls them and tells the guys I'm doing it for 50 a month (making me look like a lowball scrub). one of the guys asked about it adn I explained the trials and tribulations of working for him. and they all pass....So he call s me back and still wants to haggle onprice and I stand my ground.....I explain that when I am in a hospoital I can't negotiate my price, and the same holds true here....

I kept him for two more years until I sold the biz....Fast pay, but a bit demanding....

Duramax99
04-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Green Patures it was just a question.