PDA

View Full Version : Husqvarna Deck Problems

MO LAWNCARE
04-11-2005, 03:55 PM
i have a zth6125xp that leaves trails of grass. husqvarna's fix for this problem
was to install a baffle kit under my deck. the baffle kit is there mulching kit.
now it leaves uncut grass everywhere. anyone here have a problem with there deck on a husqvarna zero turn?

Mower Man
04-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Which deck do you have, great ole' reliable flat top, or the new Tunnel Ram?

MO LAWNCARE
04-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I Have The Flat Top Deck. The Right Side Of The Deck Gives Me All The Problems

scottishmaximus
04-12-2005, 12:26 PM
I demoed one and it had this problem when cutting full speed in high grass (2 weeks wet spring growth). It was only the discharge side. I figured that all of the grass goes through that blade and the blade could not suck the laid over grass from the front wheel. For me it wouldn't matter because anything that high i double cut anyways. You may try higher lift blades and double blades. Also, maybe flip up the discharge chute if it isn't already.

MO LAWNCARE
04-12-2005, 12:41 PM
I Have Tryed Different Blades And With The Discharge Chute Up And Evne Took It Off
I Bought This Mower Last Year And Had Problems All Year. Its Not Just The Wet Grass That I Have Problems With. I Was Promised The New Deck And Still Getting The Run Around

Mower Man
04-12-2005, 10:27 PM
This is a great cutting deck, and 99.44% of the problems are maintenance.
So, it shouldn't be hard to diagnose.

Have you checked:
1. Tire PSI? If so, what PSI do you use in the front? Rear?
2. Checked deck for Pitch?
3. Deck for level?
4. Are blades absolutely straight & square at the ends?
5. What blade are you using?

MO LAWNCARE
04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
This Deck Sucks
1- Front Tire Pressure I Beleive Is 28psi Rear Is 20 Psi I Keep What It Says On Tire
2- Deck Pitch And Level Was Checked Out Buy Dealer
3- Oem Blades I Beleive Are Mid Lift Blades
4- I Keep Blades Sharp And Dont Have Rounded Edges

Mower Man
04-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Yes,.......your right....the "deck sucks".

Due to it's design it actually creates a bettter vacuum, and greatly reduces blowout........so well others have been copying it.

Now on to the problem.

#1 Correct tire for the mower isn't whats on the tire. That is the maximum PSI by the tire maker.
In the owners manual is the recommended PSI. It's 15 PSI on ALL tires. You can change it, but start from there so the mower set up is correct.

At the PSi it's set at I'd think your teeth, a$$, and back would be sore from the pounding.

Tire PSI directly affects tire diameter, which in turn affects deck height. It maybe that the rear of the deck is now pitched backwards, which makes the blades double cut, drags down engine RPM which reduces cut efficiency.
In addition the deck isn't designed to carry grass around which is another problem created.

2. Was it wrong from the factory that he had to do it?
Was it actually done by the dealer?
Was it done correctly?
Did it stay correct? No bolts/nuts loosened?
Have watched dealer after dealer, and cutter after cutter do it wrong on almost every brand at one time or another.

This deck is the easiest to "Level & Pitch" I have ever seen, but if the directions aren't followed.......SNAFU occurs.

3. My question #4. Are the blade edges straight, and the outer corner square?
75% of stripping problems I see with everything correctly set is caused by improperly sharpened blades, blade damage, and /or wrong blades.

So. lets' go a little deeper on the blades.
A. Are they kept flat on the bottom edge?
B. If a straight edge was laid on the cutting edge....would the sharpened edge be straight along the entire sharpened adge,....or do you see a slight taper (angle) away from the straight edge?

Envy Lawn Service
04-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Mo Lawncare,

I know your problem. It's common with this deck. Trust me. Forget all you have read or heard. Here is what needs to happen....

YOUR DECK NEEDS TO BE CHECKED FOR STRAIGHTNESS!

I've had experience with 2 of them and neither were straight from the factory.
The first one had a dimple behind the center spindle that caused the center blade to hang 3/16" lower in the rear than in the front.

The second one has the more common problem that I believe you also have....
The deck has a warp/twist that has transfered to the weak side. (discharge side)

I am very tired right now, but I will return later with full instructions on how to check and confirm this.....

Media Lawnscape
04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Sounds like a problem with Husqvarna across the board.

I demo'd a Husky and the quality of cut was one of the worst I have ever tried. The dealer was really pushing them as he was stuck with a bunch in inventory.

Envy Lawn Service
04-27-2005, 10:39 PM
I Have Tryed Different Blades And With The Discharge Chute Up And Evne Took It Off
I Bought This Mower Last Year And Had Problems All Year. Its Not Just The Wet Grass That I Have Problems With. I Was Promised The New Deck And Still Getting The Run Around

OK, I was laying in bed and your statement was burning in my mind.
The more I thought of it the madder I got.
This is typical of this outfit.
They are professionals at "The Run Around"....

I've got nothing but the same!
But stay tuned...........

(see Jeff... I'm not the only one)

Envy Lawn Service
04-27-2005, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a problem with Husqvarna across the board.

I demo'd a Husky and the quality of cut was one of the worst I have ever tried. The dealer was really pushing them as he was stuck with a bunch in inventory.

Yup.... sounds like....

Add Yazoo/Kees to that. Same machine, owned by the same company, in kahoots if you will, same support network too...

Envy Lawn Service
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
You will need:
1- note pad
1- pen
1- scraper/putty knife
1- folding wood ruler (I use a mason's ruler)
3- standard OEM blades (checked for straightness and mating of course)
#- lots of patients

Lift mower
Remove blades
Scrape deck top totally clean
Install blades from above
Lower mower
Set all 4 tires to proper PSI per manual (not tire side)
Lift mower to transport or a high cutting postion

Starting with left blade position blade straight front to back like so ( l \ / )
Measure from bottom of front tip to deck top and record measurement on pad
Measure from botton of rear tip to deck to and record measurement on pad

Position center blade straight front to back like so ( \ l / )

Position right blade straight front to back like so ( / / l )

Now copy 3 front and 3 rear measurements down in a left to right row:

Example
Front : LF ____ CF ____ RF ____
Rear : LR ____ CR ____ RR ____

Examine/compare measurements.
Do you have a suspect?

My guess : RF = smallest measurement RR = Largest measurement

In any event, if you see something there, you have a SUSPECT.
Instructions for further investigation of SUSPECT are forthcoming.

If you do not have a suspect, this only means you do not have a dimple.
It does not mean you do not still have a warped/twisted deck.

OK... going to bed. :sleeping:

Mower Man
04-28-2005, 07:10 AM
The 'Flat Top" deck has a great cut, as long as it is set up right, and operated within conditions for the grass-weather conditions.

The deck, and lift system you have is similar, but different than Envy's.
In fairness to Envy, he did have a damaged deck apparently from new, and according to him (one side of the story) didn't get the after the sale service from the dealer he should have gotten. No matter what product that's bad.

Personally wouldn't have used the that baffle you were given. It's not the correct solution for that issue as you describe it

If you want correct answers and the whole truth, suggest you feel free to post here (nothing to hide) or email me thru this site, or contact the selling dealer, or the factory Head of Customer Service Richard Borland, or Ken Vincent Technical Support @ 877-368-TURF.
They will steer you straight.

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2005, 09:34 AM
The 'Flat Top" deck has a great cut, as long as it is set up right, and operated within conditions for the grass-weather conditions.

The deck, and lift system you have is similar, but different than Envy's.
In fairness to Envy, he did have a damaged deck apparently from new, and according to him (one side of the story) didn't get the after the sale service from the dealer he should have gotten. No matter what product that's bad.

Personally wouldn't have used the that baffle you were given. It's not the correct solution for that issue as you describe it

If you want correct answers and the whole truth, suggest you feel free to post here (nothing to hide) or email me thru this site, or contact the selling dealer, or the factory Head of Customer Service Richard Borland, or Ken Vincent Technical Support @ 877-368-TURF.
They will steer you straight.

Yeah, the guys at the factory, they will steer you straight alright.... straight around and round and round.... in one big never ending circle that never gets anything resolved.... and when they figure out you are sick of that circle, they will steer you to a new one. But I'm sure you have already figured out as much.

Yes, in all fairness to me, I DID have a bad deck from the factory. But of course they wanted to push the blame off on me as having damaged it. However, the thing they were not counting on was the absolute impecable shape the deck was in. Looked brand new with hardly even a scratch on the trim side. I'd be glad to lay out a supporting pictorial here as well to prove such.

Yes, I didn't get the after the sale service from the dealer that I should have.
I also didn't get it from the distributor either when I was directed there.
Nor did I get it from the factory or factory tech support EITHER.
Yes that IS BAD, no matter the brand.
As I have said before, there was just NO EXCUSE then...
And there is NO EXCUSE NOW!

But again, I am far-far from the only one with this issue with this deck.... no make that the only two, yeah you read that right TWO! TWO warped decks. Excuses-Excuses. Sorry, but there is an issue, either with materials, workmanship, process, and/or equipment... one or all. I may be wrong, but my guess is cheap steel. Plus since they are getting out the door, obviously there is a quality control and inspection issue. That's a given.

They know about it too. Matter of fact, if I had to make a large wager on it, I would have to bet that this is WHY the "Tunnel Ram" design was born. It might not be a 'better' deck but maybe it turns out straighter? I dunno either way, but good luck getting one, matter of fact good luck getting anything out of them....

Jeff, I also respectfully beg to differ with you on the baffle issue, as he has said they installed the mulch kit. If you will recall.... I told you all about that issue. The correct set of blades along with the mulch kit goes a long way to hide the problem if you will recall. But nothing else does except that exact combo....

The reason being is that blade and kit combo does a whole lot to isolate the blades from each other in many ways.

This issue with these decks is not so much in being wicked warped....
But in the fact it takes very very little to totally louse them up in their abilities.
They don't really create much vacuum as you say, not even with highlifts. They actually produce more front blowout than anything else, just to be truthful about it. They don't have a lot of blade overlap to work with either. But anyways, the point is, it doesn't take much to louse them up. Therefore, if you have one blade that is 'tail cutting' this attributes more to the frontal blowout, which does not help matters because it only helps to blow the grass down forward....

In addition, the blades are not all spinning on the same plane. So they interfere with each other due to violent conflicting air flows. This magnifies the issue in the end result cut quality. Big cups, gaps, dips, streaks, random stringers, and mowhawk lines.

MO LAWNCARE
04-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Envy Thank You For The Help
I Flipped Out Enough That There Buying It Back
Will Have A New Mower Next Week
With Out All The Headaches

Envy Lawn Service
04-28-2005, 11:26 AM
I hope they ARE actually buying it back, as in you are getting your money back.
This way you can get another brand.
Otherwise you run the risk of being in the same boat as me.
Second mower worthless also....

I sure wish they would agree to buy mine back today as I asked them to over 3 weeks ago.

MO LAWNCARE
04-28-2005, 11:41 AM
Envy I Have To Get Back To Work Ill Talk To You Next Week

scottpos
09-14-2012, 01:37 PM
I am having the same issue with the mowing deck leaving uncut grass in the center no matter what the condition.

Thanks for the posts. I am going to bring it back to the store and have them fix the deck.

Keep you posted.

JimQ
09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
I am having the same issue with the mowing deck leaving uncut grass in the center no matter what the condition.

Thanks for the posts. I am going to bring it back to the store and have them fix the deck.

Keep you posted.

You resurrected a 7 rear old thread. :blob2:

These comments are regarding the Grand Daddy (2 generations prior) of the current commercial deck.

What machine/deck are you having problems with?

Q

scottpos
09-14-2012, 03:22 PM
I do not have that info with me. I will send it in about an hour.

Ridin' Green
09-14-2012, 03:25 PM
I do not have that info with me. I will send it in about an hour.

Well, if anyone here can point you in the right direction, and with better info than Jim Q, I dunno who that'd be. He's THE man when it comes to Husqvarnas, so I'd pay close attention to what he says.

StanWilhite
09-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Well, if anyone here can point you in the right direction, and with better info than Jim Q, I dunno who that'd be. He's THE man when it comes to Husqvarnas, so I'd pay close attention to what he says.

I second that.

scottpos
09-14-2012, 04:04 PM
The model is a YTD 22LV46XLS.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I am at home now ready to load it up to take it back to the dealer.

JimQ
09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
The model is a YTD 22LV46XLS.

This is not a model number that I'm familiar with and Google wasn't much help either.

Are we talking about a lawn tractor with a 2 blade 46" stamped deck?

Q

JimQ
09-14-2012, 04:28 PM

I second that.

Awwww shucks guys. Thanks. :waving:

Q

scottpos
09-16-2012, 09:36 AM
This is not a model number that I'm familiar with and Google wasn't much help either.

Are we talking about a lawn tractor with a 2 blade 46" stamped deck?

Q

Yes. I have picture of the mower and the sub par cutting job if that would help?

JimQ
09-17-2012, 10:32 AM
I wish I could be of more help but there really isn't much you can do with that deck to improve the quality of cut. I hope you were able to get something worked out with your dealer.

Good luck.

Q

scottpos
09-17-2012, 10:40 AM
I will keep you posted on what my outcome is. Thanks for the help.