PDA

View Full Version : Painting a Fence

ClippersLC
04-11-2005, 06:22 PM
A customer asked me to paint a small pickett fence for her today. the fence is about 20 feet long. it is 4 feet tall and one end and slopes down to about 2 feet tall. she asked me just to breifly run a piece of sand paper over the face of the boards on both sides to remove the old cracked paint, and slap a thick coat of paint on it. I figure I can do it all in about 2 and a half to 3 hours, and she is going to supply all materials. How much should I charge. I was thinking about $45-$60. what do you guys think? thanks in advance :help:

hosejockey2002
04-11-2005, 09:29 PM
You should try to get the same hourly rate that you would doing anything else. If you work for fifteen bucks an hour, then I guess your price is OK. Myself, I HATE painting, wouldn't be able to charge enough. I would tell her to hire a painter.

Markf
04-12-2005, 12:17 PM
Been there, done that. If there is not much sanding, a block and paper will do. If there is plenty, a small Makita with the appropriate grit is the fastest way to go. Then I would roll the paint on with a 3/8" nap roller Depending upon how thick the pickets are). Be careful to go over the face of the pickets to catch the paint runs.
As far as $, I would also go by the hour. What happens if some of the posts or pickets are rotten. You have to stop and repair them. If she wants a job price, make sure you CYA.
Hope this helps.
Mark

ClippersLC
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Quick question...what is "CYA" ??? :waving:

rtyus
04-12-2005, 09:35 PM
CYA=cover your a**