PDA

View Full Version : Back filling sea wall need advice

MP350
04-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Got to bid on back filling a sea wall approximately 155 feet. This last season of hurricane pushed water over the top and washed out the sand & turf about 8" deep and extends about 1 foot away from the wall.The sea wall is concrete and extends approximately 4 feet below the water line (water is about 18" deep) now liner is present even though this wall was built last year.What is the best and or proper way to fix this? Thanks

sheshovel
04-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Can you get a few pics of this?Better to help you with pics of it.Sounds just by discription that the whole wall needs to be taller.

MP350
04-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Will get some pics to night, should have mentioned that this sea wall is on a lake. I believe the best plan of action is just to back fill with sand, compact and re sod. Any one know the ratio for cubic foot to a yard?

Moe Fish
04-15-2005, 02:45 PM
If you just backfill with sand it will wash right back out over time.

sheshovel
04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
a yard is 27cu foot,exactly sand will just wash right back out .where's the pics?

Moe Fish
04-15-2005, 04:29 PM
from the way it "sounds" the wall was not back filled correct to start with. Unless the water level was over the wall and the wave action over the top just took some of the top soil.

If it truly "washed out" like under the wall then you need to get a backhoe dig it out the back fill it corectly. If you are unsure of how to do this you need to find someone that knowns what to do or you could make a real mess

Moe Fish
04-15-2005, 04:43 PM
After thought:
thinking about it those lakes down there have a lot of muck around them some house pads around Lake June had to be dug 20+ foot deep and back filled to build a house. The muck behind and below the sea would could have settled with the water over it. The only way to know is with a test hole to see what is down there. It may be back filled correct and just need some drit added to the top to take up for the settling below. If the tes hole shows it is ok compat what it ther and fill in layes ad you compact.
if there is muck down there the will have problems from now on no matter what you do

MP350
04-15-2005, 06:38 PM
Pics of the sea wall.

MP350
04-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Well I have tried for over and hour to post the pictures, keep get a invalid file. Sorry

sheshovel
04-17-2005, 03:01 AM
Have you saved them in a jpeg file?they gotta be saved as jpeg to send.

Mower63
04-17-2005, 09:32 PM
MP350,

You need to take a look at the county code and make sure this isn't a job that requires a GC or other certified contractor. BTW in Florida you CANNOT subcontract work out as a landscaper even if you are a certified landscape contractor (as I understand to be true).

155 feet of seawall is a lot of expensive fixing if you don't do the job correctly, the owner has trouble down the road, and then they try to have you pay up (attorney...hint, hint). Not to mention possible fines from code enforcement or being charged with performing unlicensed work (lots of roofers getting slapped with that charge now).

Now if you are allowed to perform this work, you might want to call in a marine construction contractor and pay him for an hour of his/her advice on the correct way to do the job.

If you can't do the job or think you can't the better part of valor may be to let the customer know who can do the job correctly. I have found that every situation like this where I referred the customer to the correct trade for the work was very happy with the advice, results of the job, and has given me extra work since I was willing to admit there was a person/company with proper qualifications and experience for the job.

I don't mean to sound negative about the situation but seawall repair is not your typical landscape project.

Good Luck