PDA

View Full Version : John Deere vs. Hustler Z

recliner5
04-11-2005, 07:25 PM
I have a Hustler Z 25hp/60" deck at home. At work I use a John Deere Z-track 777/27hp. Kaw./60" deck. Of the two I like my Hustler better. It rides better, stronger deck, sterring handles are better. The John Deere steering handles are really tight when going forward and backwards compared to my Hustler Z. I'm going to call dealer and see if they can fine tune the controls. They came out earlier and adjusted the seat switch, whenever I leaned to the left it would miss-out. Maybe I just need to work bugs out with this John Deere, so far my Hustler Z is a cadillac compared to the Deere.

MMLawn
04-11-2005, 07:28 PM
and I have both and would argue the exact opposite........it's the ford vs. chevy thing is all it is. Plus a 7ga stamped deck as any welder will tell you is stronger than a 7/10 ga fab deck because it takes 4M foot pounds to stamp that deck and there are no welded joints to rust or break.

excel25
04-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Whats the warranty on the deer ???

MMLawn
04-11-2005, 07:37 PM
I'm sure you already know, but it is 2 years.

BTW, one of the John Deere dealers in Greensboro also sales Hustler and told me flat out that always recommends the Deere over the Hustler and carries Hustler only because he can sale it cheaper to home owners.

IMoLwnz.com
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
777 and 717 here!! LOVE them!!! I had an exmark and it started on fire... Got the deere's and WOW its great!! FAST and cut is MUCH better!!

DLCS
04-11-2005, 09:23 PM
Two 757's here and love them, no Hustler dealers within a 1hrs drive for me.

recliner5
04-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Why would the steering be so tight on my 777 ( bad pumps or something)?

green acres lawns
04-12-2005, 08:23 PM
Don't know about the Deere's, but scags and exmarks/toros have dampers (like small shock absorbers) attached to the steering levers to make them stiffer. With out them they move too easy and feel more like a dixie or hustler. Too squirrelly for me. Also check the bolts where the levers pivot and see if they are too tight.

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:30 PM
I'm sure you already know, but it is 2 years.

BTW, one of the John Deere dealers in Greensboro also sales Hustler and told me flat out that always recommends the Deere over the Hustler and carries Hustler only because he can sale it cheaper to home owners.
Of course he is going to push Deere. Parts alone on a Deere franchise will gross millions a year for a dealer. Hustler is not a "homeowner" machine, so I would give no credibility to that statement. He is looking at GREEN. Cant blame him, push what is gonna make ya rich if you are a dealer! It just puts a red flag up for me, the credibility factor.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
and I have both and would argue the exact opposite........it's the ford vs. chevy thing is all it is. Plus a 7ga stamped deck as any welder will tell you is stronger than a 7/10 ga fab deck because it takes 4M foot pounds to stamp that deck and there are no welded joints to rust or break.

Thats 7,000,000 lbs/square inch to stamp the 7IRON decks

MMLawn
04-12-2005, 08:35 PM
Of course he is going to push Deere. Parts alone on a Deere franchise will gross millions a year for a dealer. Hustler is not a "homeowner" machine, so I would give no credibility to that statement. He is looking at GREEN. Cant blame him, push what is gonna make ya rich if you are a dealer! It just puts a red flag up for me, the credibility factor.

Just WHERE exactly did I say that Hustler was a Homeowner machine???? NOWHERE, so get off that. What I said was that that dealership also carried Hustler to MARKET to homeowners.............because his Deere sales were much higher to commercial than his Hustler sales are....and I don't even do business with this dealer.

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:41 PM
i just quoted what YOU said the dealer said, lol. And he is going to bias towards Deere. I saw this happen in our area. A local dealer went Deere, and he said he made so much on parts alone, that he wasnt going to push anything else.

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:43 PM
PS the mechanics that I knew there just laughed, some were in lawn care, and dare I say.....................used something else!

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:44 PM
PPS they were red

David Grass
04-12-2005, 08:49 PM
BTW I thought your stripes looked really good in the other post. Oh, and GO CAROLINA!!!

StrategicMowing
04-13-2005, 06:28 PM

It is interesting how you make the argument that a stamped deck is stronger than a fabricated deck, when it seems to me that commercial decks are almost always fabricated and cheaper mowers are stamped.

Clearly, John Deere has done an effective job of persuading people, but the proof is in the pudding. Hustler has a lifetime warranty on the leading edge of the deck. What is the warranty on the Deere deck?

MMLawn
04-13-2005, 07:33 PM
It is interesting how you make the argument that a stamped deck is stronger than a fabricated deck, when it seems to me that commercial decks are almost always fabricated and cheaper mowers are stamped.

Clearly, John Deere has done an effective job of persuading people, but the proof is in the pudding.

You are very correct it is and as any engineer will tell you if you take two pieces of 7 ga steel (oh, no wait the Hustler is not all 7ga it is 10/7ga) but anyway take 2 pieces of 7ga steel and cut and weld one together to make bends and curves and use then 4,000,000 pounds of foot pressure to mold/stamp the other into a one piece deck with bends and curves and the stamped one will be stronger...much stronger and with no stress points like the fab one will have, plain and simple engineering. No welds to break or rust or become weak spots because they were welded incorrectly and no human error in putting it together.

By trying to lump cheaper 12 ga decks of cheap Non-USA made mowers in with the highly engineered 7 Iron deck well that is comparing apples to oranges and not even a valid point or arguement. You know why most makers FAB their decks? The real Reason? Because plain and simple it is Much Cheaper for them to weld them together than to purchase the machinery to stamp a soild 7 ga deck. Heck, again Hustler doesn't even use all 7ga steel even in their fab decks. Now, Hustler is a very, very good mower no doubt and I would never say it isn't. I own Hustler, JD, eXmark and Toro and love em all, But the 7 Iron deck is light years ahead of fab decks. Wait and see 5 years from now or when JD's patent expires they will all join in on it.

BTW, warranting a "lead edge" of any fab deck for life is not a big deal. It breaks they just weld it again, not exactly a costly repair, thus not an expensive warranty for them.

marvinlee
04-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I mow with a stamped steel deck and it works fine for me. But I wonder. Doesn't stamping a deep-draw shape cause the metal to thin out at the area of greatest curvature? Not sure, just curious.

heavenlydeere
04-19-2005, 01:12 AM
on the 8th day God made john deere!!!!! seriously now , i own two 757s and two 777s and will never own anything else, i have demoed almost everything out there and i found deere to be the closest machine to perfect for me !!
ive never had a problem whatsoever and if i ever do jd will be more than generous with their help! i dont knock hustler or white if you want call it so, they are darn good machines ! i help a lady on saturday mornings mow 7acres of grass , very nice heavy thick stuff , she has a grasshopper frontdeck machine and my 777s will out mow hers 4to1, its really amazing to see! heck i could go on for hours about my jds but i wont ,i will say they are, imo, the best of the best on the market hands down!!!

SproulsLawnCare
04-19-2005, 03:43 AM
I mow with a stamped steel deck and it works fine for me. But I wonder. Doesn't stamping a deep-draw shape cause the metal to thin out at the area of greatest curvature? Not sure, just curious.

I build most of the parts for Commercial, Military, and Private jet engines at my "day job". There is no concerning amount of thinning or reduction in the strength of the material if it follows a heat treating process to relieve the stress from the forming operations. I'm quite sure that John Deere uses a heat treating process or forms the deck while it is hot. I use John Deere equipment myself. I like the product and I know for a fact that the pressed 7 guage steel deck is by far stronger than a welded deck. The welds in a part are always weaker than the material unless it is heat treated after the weld.

David Grass
04-19-2005, 07:38 AM
since BOTH deere and hustler decks are going to last 60 years or more, isnt the strength issue totally moot? Hell my Walker deck is much lighter than both of those, and it is 10 years old and I KNOW I can get 20 more years out of it, but will likely trade it in in a few more years anyway, just like I would if it was a Deere, or a Hustler. My Walker weighs much less on the yards too. Now if you are going to run full throttle into trees, maybe you need to worry about this deck issue.