PDA

View Full Version : Spring maintenance

KTNC
04-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I have a Stihl FS80 trimmer, and a BG55 blower (homeowner). As is my usual routine I went to the dealer today to by the following: 2 sparkplugs, 2 air filters, 2 fuel filters, and 2 pints of gas/oil mix. Total - $27.70.

I'm starting to wonder I could just not to do any of the above, and with the money saved at the end of 10 yrs, buy a new one. Is it worth it to do so much preventative maintenance? The machines get at least 1 hour of use a week.

lawnman_scott
04-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Well if you dont get the oil the engine will seize up, very soon so you need that. If you dont get the air or fuel filters you will get crap in the carb and you will need a new carburator or at least need it cleaned. If you dont get spark plugs it will start giving you trouble when starting, so you pretty much have to do those things. Did you happen to see the price of the new ones?

grass_cuttin_fool
04-11-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a Stihl FS80 trimmer, and a BG55 blower (homeowner). As is my usual routine I went to the dealer today to by the following: 2 sparkplugs, 2 air filters, 2 fuel filters, and 2 pints of gas/oil mix. Total - $27.70.

I'm starting to wonder I could just not to do any of the above, and with the money saved at the end of 10 yrs, buy a new one. Is it worth it to do so much preventative maintenance? The machines get at least 1 hour of use a week.
If you dont do this maintenance , I doubt you will get 10 years life from the machines

mowboy1
04-11-2005, 11:09 PM
It's worth it KTNC... in fact it's a small price to pay. Of course, this type of annual maintenance is just the beginning. You should clean and lubricate your equipment weekly or even daily depending on use.

I have found that the biggest factor in lowering the life of equipment is improper storage. Make sure to store your equipment in dry location overnight and over the off-season. And don't pile debris on top of your equipment? Common sense stuff but it's amazing how many kill their stuff with practices like this!

Green Pastures
04-11-2005, 11:24 PM
Simply having an enclosed trailer will add years of life to your hand tools.

Having a proper storage place within that trailer will add even more.

KTNC
04-11-2005, 11:43 PM
Thanks guys, actually I couldn't imagine not doing these things, but it's nice to be re-assured.