PDA

View Full Version : MInivan and Trailer

EasylyConfused
04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
Here is my former trailer setup. Today I went out and bought a $2750.00 6X12 open Trailer. Keep in mind that's a canadian price. It's galvanized with 15" Highway tires, a 2 piece 4 foot rear gate. 8 Rake, broom, shovel holders, 18in sides, and 36 cargo Tirdowns. The rails have pockets so I can attach higher sides if I wish, and It has electric breaks! I'm drooling and I don't even have it yet! I can't wait. I pick it up in 2 weeks. I bought it brand new and hope to keep it for a many years!

I am still going to use the minivan but the snowmobile trailer is history! I bought it used in the country for $450, put some money into it and sold it for $925.00. I most likley could have got more if I sold it at the beginning of the winter instead of the spring. On the trailer is my JD L110, and Lawnboy mower. I also have a Yard Works lawn mower from Canadian Tire that is mulch only to go on the new trailer.

I hope to expand to a truck by this winter, but I also have to pay for my University Tuition! I'm simply doing the best I can! I have 7 Residential and 2 Comercial accounts so far. I hope to do about 4 times that or more!

lawnandplow42
04-12-2005, 05:00 PM
looks very unproffesional

KINGjosh
04-12-2005, 05:12 PM
For now that setup is perfect. Get some magnets for that van and your looking good.You might turn that family van into a junker in time.

You have to work with what you have. Post some pics when you get your new trailer. Where do you put all of your stick equipment?

grass disaster
04-12-2005, 06:45 PM
you might as well pull that with your bike :)

gotgreen?
04-12-2005, 06:53 PM
looks very unproffesional

lawnandplow42, the only real job you start from the top is digging holes.

EasylyConfused keep it up, with what you have and if you keep a good spirit, it will get better in no time.

Petr51488
04-12-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow.. I don't think that deere will hold up for long. How big are your properties?

MMLawn
04-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Sorry, but this is TOO FUNNY!! I don't know which I would be laughing the hardest at if I saw this coming down the road, that dorky looking trailer, being pulled by mommy's mini van, or the fact that the cheapest Home Owner JD lawn Tractor you can buy that Home Cheapo sells was the "commercial mower" on the dorky trailer. At 18 you should have known better than to post this if you didn't want to take some heat.

Toy2
04-12-2005, 09:49 PM
All I can say is WTF?????????? :D

woodycrest
04-12-2005, 09:51 PM
the heat is on... :blob3:

but you gotta start somewhere...

Petr51488
04-12-2005, 10:22 PM
At 18 you should have known better than to post this if you didn't want to take some heat.

Agreed LOL

PLM-1
04-12-2005, 10:33 PM
Agreed LOL

Better than a Pinto with a Murray hanging out the back!

Gotta start somewhere!! :)

vanguard
04-12-2005, 10:44 PM
the heat is on... :blob3:

but you gotta start somewhere...
Ya, like his own front yard (see pic #1)
P.S. its spelled BRAKES :waving:

ChadA
04-13-2005, 12:52 AM
You guys are cold blooded. LOL

capitallandscapes
04-13-2005, 01:10 AM
I can guarantee that some of you guys that are talking s*#t started out with less than that. He will learn as he goes. Cut him some slack. Gotta start somewhere.

promower
04-13-2005, 01:19 AM
Hey as long as your charging a decent rate I could care less what you drive, I not going to say thats one sweet rig, but if it gets the job done who cares. Whats the name of the business anyway, soccer moms lawn care :p

DLS1
04-13-2005, 02:16 AM
I would rather be in a nice air conditioned mechanically sound mom's minivan than some of the broken down no a/c rat trap old PROFESSIONAL trucks I have seen around town.

Just go with what you got and don't get caught up in spending lots of money. You got people on this site who think you look like a geek if you don't have name brand clothes,etc. instead of buying clothes at Wal-mart.

Don't get caught in Lawnsite members trying define what is professional and not professional for your situation.

Some people here will always be insecure if they don't have what the crowd thinks is professional. Sad sad insecure life for some here where they never will be happy since the crowd is always redefining what is professional.

woodycrest
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
defining 'professional' is like trying to define 'organic'. :)

THe new trailer sounds good. it would not make sense to buy 'commercial' equipment and have nothing to transport it with.
The L110 wouldnt stand up to large volume mowing, but it will cut grass.

THe yard works mower wont last for long...i bought one 4 years ago at a Canadian Tire 'yard sale'...it didnt last the the next season...but it did cut grass.

DLS1
04-13-2005, 08:48 AM
defining 'professional' is like trying to define 'organic'. :)

THe new trailer sounds good. it would not make sense to buy 'commercial' equipment and have nothing to transport it with.
The L110 wouldnt stand up to large volume mowing, but it will cut grass.

THe yard works mower wont last for long...i bought one 4 years ago at a Canadian Tire 'yard sale'...it didnt last the the next season...but it did cut grass.

Good points. I started out part-time using my existing 2 year old Sears lawn tractor and it lasted 1-1/2. I broke a spindle, bought a new starter and other things started falling apart.

So as others have said you need to buy professional mowing equipment since your existing mowing equipment will break down soon.

The C Man
04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
Don't get caught in Lawnsite members trying define what is professional and not professional for your situation.
I agree 100%. The majority opinion seems to be that you're only "professional" if you have a work truck pulling a trailer. Pull it with anything else and you're a scrub or fly-by-nighter. They'll also say that even if you service all your accounts with a 36", you HAVE to have a trailer, don't even think of putting it in the bed of your truck and using an aftermarket ramp system, even though that makes perfect sense, takes up less space, and is more convenient. Apparently the bed of the truck is off limits for some reason. Bottom line, don't worry what someone on here thinks about your setup.

lawnandplow42
04-13-2005, 02:53 PM
Sorry, but this is TOO FUNNY!! I don't know which I would be laughing the hardest at if I saw this coming down the road, that dorky looking trailer, being pulled by mommy's mini van, or the fact that the cheapest Home Owner JD lawn Tractor you can buy that Home Cheapo sells was the "commercial mower" on the dorky trailer. At 18 you should have known better than to post this if you didn't want to take some heat.

i know! I wasn't trying to be rude when i said "thats unproffessional" but truly , it is! I understand everyone starts somewhere but come, atleast get a truck so you won't look stupid.

N.H.BOY
04-13-2005, 03:54 PM
You see I think he is stating out with the right idea, but for now I think he should unload that JD and put that push mower in the minivan and pull the van with the deer. Now that my friends would not look stupid :D

wojo23323
04-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I would definately get some larger tie down straps to hold the tractor. One quick sharp turn and there goes the deere.

Smalltimer1
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM

Actually the L-100 is the cheapest. He actually has the L-110 which is 2 steps up, the lowest being the L-100 being followed by the L-108.

lawnandplow42
04-13-2005, 06:34 PM
if it was me, i never would have posted that. lol what a mistake lol :dizzy:

YardPro
04-13-2005, 07:48 PM
here is why it looks unprofessional...

1. trailer has NO sides, and the straps will not keep the load secure in the event of a collision, or VERY sudden hard braking, or sharp turn. you could seriously injure someone else with that setup.

2 the equipment won't hold up very long to commercial use. you would have been much better off spending the same amount of money on lightly used commercial grade equipment. Your current equipment will end up being a bad investment.

3 the van is not equiped to tow a load regularly. you will end up ruining the nice reliable air conditioned van in a very short time, then you'll have to aquire a new payment for both a work AND a personal vehicle.

I'm not dogging you at all, just pointing out how someone can say it is unprofessional. A professional uses appropriate tools/equipment. It does not have to be new, or nice, but best suited to his/her job.

and lastly. don't go posting a pic os a scrub looking setup and not expect to get any flack.. It's guys in setups like yours that a lot of guys here are struggeling to compete against. You are obviously not a full time lawn person. You can work for a much lower rate than someone who has this as a sold profession.

MMLawn
04-13-2005, 07:59 PM

1. trailer has NO sides, and the straps will not keep the load secure in the event of a collision, or VERY sudden hard braking, or sharp turn. you could seriously injure someone else with that setup.

2 the equipment won't hold up very long to commercial use. you would have been much better off spending the same amount of money on lightly used commercial grade equipment. Your current equipment will end up being a bad investment.

3 the van is not equiped to tow a load regularly. you will end up ruining the nice reliable air conditioned van in a very short time, then you'll have to aquire a new payment for both a work AND a personal vehicle.

I'm not dogging you at all, just pointing out how someone can say it is unprofessional. A professional uses appropriate tools/equipment. It does not have to be new, or nice, but best suited to his/her job.

and lastly. don't go posting a pic os a scrub looking setup and not expect to get any flack.. It's guys in setups like yours that a lot of guys here are struggeling to compete against. You are obviously not a full time lawn person. You can work for a much lower rate than someone who has this as a sold profession.

Very Well Said Yardpro!

glllc
04-13-2005, 08:48 PM
WOW some one has NO SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scottish LScape
04-13-2005, 08:59 PM
All I can say is WTF?????????? :D
Again WTF????

lawnandplow42
04-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Couldn't have said it better yardpro.
I guess i should have explained myself when i said it was unprofessional. Hopefully he'll take your post into consideration.
It may sound like many of us are making fun of his setup, but we are actually helping him to look into a more "professional" image

Well said

woodycrest
04-13-2005, 10:30 PM
it seems to me that professionalism goes hand in hand with experience.
Tiger Woods started off as an amatuer...plumbers, carpenters and electricians start off as apprentices. gotta go to kindegarten before you go to high school.

Experience is the best teacher.
But i must agree that ' beefier' equipment is a better investment in the long run.

"It does not have to be new, or nice, but best suited to his/her job.''
So, if he only has 7 residential and 2 commercial accounts right now, his current setup(exlcuding the snomobile trailer) is probably fine...but if he is looking to do 4 times more than that, then no doubt an equipment upgrade will be required.

woodycrest
04-13-2005, 10:31 PM
by the way... Easyly Confused, are you still out there?

beransfixitinc
04-14-2005, 12:13 AM
I believe this thread has gotten to the point of everybody moving their fingers before they move their eyes, and work their brains (what's left of them after a 6 pack of Bullets).

If you read and comprehend the first 6 words of the original post, you would see that the photo is of " my former trailer setup ". And if your attention span hasn't dropped out at the period which ends that first sentence, you'd see that he has on order and paid for a new trailer setup. One that when he takes delivery of it should serve him nicely. Not every potential customer of this guy may care that he cuts it with a homeowner John Deere. Many people will see the commercials for Home Depot and the John Deeres they show cutting so nicely, that they'll probably end up hiring him.

Why should he go out and start his business on a load of credit that will be hounding him at the end of every month, when he can start with what is feasible and work his way up to the more "professional" image.

If professionalism is defined as somebody that can't even slow down enough to read and comprehend, then you fine folks get your cookie for the week.

::steps down::

procut
04-14-2005, 11:54 AM
by the way... Easyly Confused, are you still out there?
I think he got scared away. LMAO

Eddie B
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I started with a minivan, and my equipment outlasted the minivan. This van was in tip-top shape and had the larger engine and tow package. Had to put a new tranny in it, got a trans cooler to keep it cool under the stress, and the new tranny still only lasted 20,000 miles. Brakes, rear bearings, shocks, all kinds of stuff will wear out on ya. You're gonna have a hard time stopping or reacting to an emergency situation as well. I purchased another minivan right after that one and the thing didn't last 5 minutes. Then I finally said "I NEED A TRUCK!"

KINGjosh
04-14-2005, 08:21 PM
Well this kid obviosly was proud enough to post this pic, not knowing some people would bash him and try to bring him down.

Alot of poeple started off with nothing. Take it slow and easy when purchasing equip. One thing I hope you have is a liscense and insurance.

procut
04-15-2005, 08:08 AM
One thing I hope you have is a liscense and insurance.

I'm guessing no.

man of stihl
04-15-2005, 12:50 PM
i was wondering the same about his insurance.. how can he cut commercial properties without insurance. i dont have it as of right now, nor do i have any commercial properties. that will change soon enough tho :cool:

Doc_77
04-15-2005, 12:51 PM
EasylyConfused , don't worrie about what the people here say.

if you can cut the grass and turn a profit thats all that matters.

i wouldn't listen to much to the guys on this site , the ones that bash people with less equipment usually have a very small ... ummm and need to make them self feel a little bigger some how.
save this post and check back in a year or 2 . see how many of these guys that laughed at you are now working at McDonalds.

on a side note ... for all the guys with $20K worth of equipment to cut 40 lawns a week. do you really wonder how some one can cut a lawn for half the price you do and make a profit ?

MMLawn
04-15-2005, 10:23 PM
save this post and check back in a year or 2 . see how many of these guys that laughed at you are now working at McDonalds.
?

I cut 12 McDonald's does that count kid?? :sleeping:

EasylyConfused
04-20-2005, 07:17 PM
I knew I would get flammed, but that's ok. I find humour in my setup too! I have a crazy sense of humour. Yes, The Cargo Strap problem has been solved. I have some 5000lb cargo straps that I am using now. And the trailer should be ready for pickup on Friday. I have no credit as I am only 18, and my parents don't help me out with any loans, So I have to pay cash for everything. I hope tobe able afford a truck for the end of this year. Yes I do have insurance, and am regestered in the city. I don't need to regester provincially, or Nationly till I gross over $30 000.00 Which by the looks of things will be quite shortly. I'm currently just building a reputation. I've already had 1 referal. After my cleanup and first cut of every house, I've walked around with the owner and they have been very impressed! I plan on lettering the side of my trailer and not my vehicle, as I'm an agressive driver without my trailer. Maybe I will letter "my truck" when I finally can afford it. It will most likley be a 1995-99 Toyota Tacoma. I can't repair vehicles so I need something reliable. I wanted and F-250 but if it ever stopped running I would be sunk! As for the mowers, I can't complain. The John Deere cuts really nice even if it is a homeowner mower. I don't mean quick, just nice and even. Once our name is out there and I'm making decent money I will invest in better equipment. I can only afford so much. I also have to pay for university starting next fall. I seem to be doing quite well so far. I have about 15 more places that want quotes this weekend. With the way I have been quoting I will probably only get 5 of those. I currently have the 2 commercial and approxamitly 14. I had a whole bunch of one time jobs. Spring clean up with a minivan and a trailer without sides is interesting!!! My garage currently has over 250 bags of garbage to be hauled to the dump!

My lawn is my last priority so it won't be cleand up for quite a while. It is extremly thick, and takes forever to cut with my mowers. Yes I do realize a comercial mower would be much better!

lawnrangeralaska
04-20-2005, 07:23 PM
scrub!!!
there are treads about you going on right now on this site.
sell the damn van and buy a used truck and a walkbehind. lawn tractors are pos

EasylyConfused
04-20-2005, 07:26 PM
I just realized that in that photo you see a section without grass! last fall we had a huge pile of concrete there from the sidewalk that was ripped out from the front of the house. It was over a foot thick in places. If you would like pictures to believe me I can post them when I have time. Tonight I'm relaxing!

FYI That is my DAD's minivan, and ny business name is JCS Lawn Care. I handed out 500 flyers and had 11 responses. If you would like a copy of the flyer I'd gladly give it to anyone NOT in Winnipeg. just e-mail me at JCS_Lawn_Care@mts.net. I attached a business card to each flyer which I printed on bright neon green paper. I can send a jpg image or publisher file format.

EasylyConfused
04-20-2005, 07:28 PM
scrub!!!
there are treads about you going on right now on this site.
sell the damn van and buy a used truck and a walkbehind. lawn tractors are pos

I cannot sell the only thing I do not own. (mini van)

Eddie B
04-20-2005, 09:26 PM
be easy on that poor van... :D

Jpocket
04-23-2005, 05:05 PM
O God, it looks bad REEEAALY BAAAAAD>

Dodgemania
04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
I think the guy knows this isn't the set-up that he wants to keep. Give him a break. Alot of you guys are assholes. You act like you have to have a certain style truck or mowers.

I think his set-up is better than some guys I've seen going purchasing brand new truck and equipment not having the work to make those kind of purchases. Buying the new stuff because it looks cool or your alls idea of professionalism. Give him time he might look more professional than alot of you guys. I agree not the greatest set-up but efficient for the work load. The mini should last awhile pulling that trailer. I mean there can't be much weight to the trailer and mower.

I'd like to see more people giving him suggestions on ideas for the future than tearing his confidence up.

But good luck to all you jackasses that think you need to put him down!

RedWolf
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Hey Easy next time you have tranny work done to the van tranny have them put B&M trickshift in it.the stuff works really well and i use it in my 76 chevy pick up.to bad you not closer i have a 82 isuzu diesel pup for sale.it has a dump kit and i used it for clean up work.

greywynd
08-25-2005, 01:56 AM
Funny how people intrepret things. Here's a guy that's just told you he has a new Galvanized trailer with all teh racks, etc., on order, with a decent looking pair of mowers (If they look shiny to the homeowner, how many of them will realize it's 'professional equipment' or not?)
Told you he has insurance, that he's hoping/planning on a truck this fall (which would be, what, 2, 3 MONTHS from now? Also that he's paid for it all already, on his own in cash (can ALL of us say that? I know a lot that can't, including myself).

Personally, I think he's on the right track, that he's headed exactly where you guys are saying he needs to be. I kind of like the fact that he made $400-500 on the trailer, and got the use of it for how long? I think he's got the right sort of idea. :D :D

mcwlandscaping
08-25-2005, 12:15 PM
greywynd, thanks, i noticed that too and was wondering why a lot of the other guys were picking on him. They must have just based there comments on the pics and not read the post! Oh well!

i_plant_art
08-25-2005, 12:37 PM
how bout we try and get a pic of the van on the trailers with the tractor pulling the van!!!!!! I dont knoew guys there is a LADY around here who takes her 2 sons out mowing. for the last 2 years we have seen the riding around in a mini van and trailer... this year we see them in a f250 diesel 4x4. after talking to the milf a few times she claims to of have paid cash for the thing... who knows.... gotta start somewhere

jt5019
08-25-2005, 12:51 PM
I started off pulling a trailer with a car (older mercury couger) and only had an old fashioned reel style locke mower. Now i have a 2000 dodge 2500 4x4 and a 2005 chevy 2500 hd and all scag equipment.... You gotta start somewhere!

RedWolf
08-25-2005, 07:54 PM
i started with a old chevy nova and a crappy trailer.I worked hard and saved my money and got what i have now.work with what you have and if it does a good job then forget the ragging these guys are giveing you.your doing alot better then some of the want to bees here in florida.i seen a guy today with all his stuff in the trunk of a raged out ford car.and the big thing is if the stuff gets the job done then thats all that matters and i give you a hand shake for doing the best job with what you have.not everyone can do that.

nobagger
08-25-2005, 08:33 PM
I can guarantee that some of you guys that are talking s*#t started out with less than that. He will learn as he goes. Cut him some slack. Gotta start somewhere.
NO!, see this is what the general public is seeing us as! or at least comparing us to. Iv'e said before you shouldn't start something unless you start with the right stuff period. I'm sorry but this is why everyone thinks this industry is so easy to do, customers and obviously people like him! :realmad: Ya know I could see if you lost your job and were to go into bankruptcy and you were desperate but from the pic. I don't think so. Maybe he should start with his own lawn first. I'm so tired of hearing "you gotta start somewhere" ok but start with some real equipment and no-how to say the least. Again I'm sorry but its people like this that will bring this industry down even further than it is now.

greywynd
08-26-2005, 12:32 AM
NO!, see this is what the general public is seeing us as! or at least comparing us to. Iv'e said before you shouldn't start something unless you start with the right stuff period. I'm sorry but this is why everyone thinks this industry is so easy to do, customers and obviously people like him! :realmad: Ya know I could see if you lost your job and were to go into bankruptcy and you were desperate but from the pic. I don't think so. Maybe he should start with his own lawn first. I'm so tired of hearing "you gotta start somewhere" ok but start with some real equipment and no-how to say the least. Again I'm sorry but its people like this that will bring this industry down even further than it is now.

So, according to you, I should have a NEW F350, instead of an '89 that's already paid for, a NEW float trailer instead of the used one I bought for a real good price, and a NEW excavator instead of a 10 year old machine with low hours?

I kind of like the fact that my entire setup cost less than what either that NEW truck or that NEW excavator cost......it's called keeping your overhead (and debt ratio) low. When I decide it's time to get either newer equipment, or more equipment, I'll either buy outright what I can afford that will work, or decide if I want to borrow money to do it. Now, if I were to listen to YOU, I'd either be still waiting to buy anything becasue I didn't have the money to buy it outright, or I'd have a huge debt to deal with......and being that it's MY life (not yours) and my finances/business/neck/reputation on the line, I'll do what I see as the best route for me to take. there isn't a guy on here that wouldn't love to have all brand new equipment, and every piece of it that you'll ever need. Guess what, it's a fairy tale.....

Starting with the right stuff? As far as I'm concerned, the "right stuff" is as follows,
the willingness to work hard and stick with it,
the mind to be creative and willing to learn (sometimes very quickly) whatever you need to learn,
an ability to use ingenuity to overcome obstacles, whether it be a customer that is being difficult, a 'duct tape' repair to get something through the day, or some way of getting a job done even if you don't have every little thing to do it with,
someone with good people and business skills (or a decent shovel)

I'm sure there are lots of other things that I'd consider "right stuff", in my case, one of the things that I consider "right stuff" is to be as debt free as possible, so that if things do go south, I don't have to worry about how the payments are going to be made.

DLS1
08-26-2005, 09:13 AM
NO!, see this is what the general public is seeing us as! or at least comparing us to. Iv'e said before you shouldn't start something unless you start with the right stuff period. I'm sorry but this is why everyone thinks this industry is so easy to do, customers and obviously people like him! :realmad: Again I'm sorry but its people like this that will bring this industry down even further than it is now.

This industry will always be looked at as easy to get into no matter how an expensive truck and equipment you have. Anyone can do it so that means it is easy to get into. Maybe that effects your self-esteem but nothing you can do about it so enjoy life. :D

Ramairfreak98ss
08-26-2005, 06:18 PM
lol, and i thought i wasnt professional b/c i didnt have a ZTR and not even using a trailer yet, just a nice pickup lol. well good luck though, sooner or later you can upgrade some stuff, i personally have bought some "low end" items, and regretted that already, if you cant afford a $400 trimmer, at least get a $200 one, not a $135 home depot one, same with the tractor, you could have gotten something in the $2000 ish range that you walk behind that is a commercial unit that wont get beat after a season, ive gone through 3 shitty push mowers too that were self propelled, shitty air filters, no oil filters, only holds 1/2qt oil and cheap designs, broken handlebars, and engines dont last long either b/c of the dirt problems...