PDA

View Full Version : how often to sharpen blades

jarroo's lawncare
04-11-2005, 11:26 PM
how often do you guys sharpen blades how, long does a set last and what are the best aftermarket blades

The LawnSmith
04-11-2005, 11:44 PM
There are a lot of techniques I'm sure, this is just mine as a solo op. I maintain two sets of blades per mower. One is on the mower and one set is sharpened and ready to change in my truck toolbox (along with the tools to change them). I monitor the condition of the ones on the mower and change out as necessary. When I pull a set off, I inspect them for any serious burrs/knicks and if I can resharpen them I do. If not, I buy another set. Taking a quick walk around a property that you are getting ready to mow and looking for any obstacles that may screw up your blades is a must....especially for a lawn that you havent done before. Here in the south, ant piles see to emerge overnight. Ensure the ant pile you intend to mow over isn't a stump with an ant pile disguised as a topping. As far as aftermarket blades, I don't know...I use the standard manufacturers blades.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
04-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Sharpen every 8 hours.

Green Pastures
04-12-2005, 12:08 AM
Every 8 hours of clock time on the mower, need it or not.

ChadA
04-12-2005, 12:22 AM
I sharpen mine everyday. Or around every 8 hrs as posted before. Im useing high lift gator blades now and they seem to work good. It depends on what type of grass you'll be cutting.

Runner
04-12-2005, 12:41 AM
The blades get changed every day. I carry several sets in the trailer, and a few different varieties. Occasionally, if something happens, like cutting in adverse conditions, or if something gets hit, the blades come off immediately and a new set gets installed.

Lawn-Scapes
04-12-2005, 12:46 AM
Doesn't common sense apply here?

Frosty_03
04-12-2005, 12:51 AM
Set of sharp blades go on fisrt thing in the morning and change out during the if I hit anything that I think hurts the cut :cool2: