PDA

View Full Version : What would you have done???

Greenkeepers
05-10-2000, 12:28 PM
Hey All-<p>Another story. We had this customer last year that we only cut as a favor to her son, whom we also cut. Her lawn was out of the way and a pain to cut (obstacles such as cars and trucks). At the end of last year, we sent out our surveys and she never returned it saying that she wanted to continue service this year. I didn't want to cut it anyway so I didn't go out of my way to call her and ask her. The other day I got a message on my machine saying &quot;WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN&quot;. This is 6 weeks after I started cutting and the lawn hasn't been cut yet. I told her I wasn't cutting up there this year and she started crying on the phone. So I gave in and told her I'd come up and look at it but it would be 2-3 times the normal price (she got pissed). I went to look at the lawn and it was half way up my calf and thick. So I wrote her a nice note and said that I can't justify risking my equipment for a $60 job. I thought it was over then that night I answer the phone and someone is yelling at me &quot;WHAT THE _UCK IS THIS GD NOTE ON MY MOMS PORCH ABOUT&quot;. He proceeds to tell me that I don't know anything and he can cut it with a 21&quot; pushmower. I explained my side of the story and told him to go ahead and cut it with his pushmower. I guess his mom assumed since I cut her lawn last year that I'd do it this year, I guess she didn't see the field growing outside her house and decide to call me earlier. I probably would have picked her up again this year if she would have gone about it the right way instead of blaming me. <p><br>What would you have done?? Sorry for babbling but I thought this was interesting!<p>Mike<br>Greenkeepers

Charles
05-10-2000, 01:10 PM
She was trying to save money by not calling you when it started getting high. Anyway there is no law that says you have to cut the yard you don't want to. One of the rules in running a business is don't be afraid to fire a customer. They are sure not afraid to fire us. She just didn't fit in with your operation.

mowerconsultant
05-10-2000, 01:53 PM
i would not loose any sleep over it...<br>i would not cut it again either...<br>nor, would i cut her sons, if he used that kind of language with you on the phone.

Toroguy
05-10-2000, 02:08 PM
What does she do when she disregards other correspondence...have her son call the mortgage company and say &quot;What is this F'n foreclosure notice?&quot;<p>I had a lady last year who agreed to have her lawn cut starting May 1, she cried and was in a panic to have the lawn maintained. She called March 31 and said she didnt need me...fine. She left about four messages in June wanting the service...crying-sobbing on the phone. I wasnt about to waste another second on her, deleted the messages, she seemed quite unstable.<p>Maintaining lawns you like, for people you like, makes things enjoyable. <p>Im sure you are on top of your business, dont let this social incompetent distract you.

geogunn
05-10-2000, 02:34 PM
greenskeeper--the son would apologize to me over the berating or he too would be looking for a new cutter.

Greenkeepers
05-10-2000, 05:23 PM
I dropped the son at the end of the season last year due to lack of payment on his part. When he heard collections agency, he decided to pay his bill. I rode by the mothers today and it still isn't cut. His 21 inch craftsmen must have not started.<p>Mike

Bobby
05-10-2000, 06:45 PM
Toroguy is rite. These kind of people <br>are a drag on your operation. Personaly, <br>I won't tolerate being talked to like <br>that. Had enough of that in the ARMY. <br>And tat was 20 years ago. <p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale