PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Used Hover mower

elamey
04-12-2005, 08:22 AM
I need a used hover mower. If anyone has one they are interested in selling, could you please contact me

thank you!!

fmzip
11-25-2006, 07:15 PM
I need a used hover mower. If anyone has one they are interested in selling, could you please contact me

thank you!!

I have an Eastman HM19S-2 for sale if you are still looking for one

metro36
11-25-2006, 07:38 PM
What the He!! is a hover mower? Its name kind of explains it but what is it used for? Who makes them?

A.D Services
11-25-2006, 08:57 PM
they are used for slopes and eastman makes them they are kind of neat actually for more info check out www.hovermower.com they also make regualr commersial 21",22"walkbehinds

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-25-2006, 09:18 PM
Husqvarna made one also might be the same brand.

A.D Services
11-25-2006, 09:20 PM
are you shure? i was on their website and i didnt see any thing like that

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-25-2006, 09:29 PM
I saw it in catolog a season or two.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
11-25-2006, 09:34 PM
kudos,found it on ebay

A.D Services
11-25-2006, 09:41 PM
oh they must have stopped making them sorry

DBL
11-25-2006, 09:45 PM
never heard of a hover mower before this

jschu13
11-26-2006, 08:10 AM
Hover mowers I think were developed in Great Britain. They're main purpose is to trim very steep, small slopes of grass, such as golf course sandtraps/bunkers. Over there, the edges of their golf course sand traps tend to be fairly steep. The hover mower (of which there are/were several manufacturers, Hover Mower, being on of them) looks like a push mower without wheels. The deck or shroud in kind of dome shaped with the engine sitting on top of it. The handle then attaches to the back two corners of the deck, just like a push mower, only no wheels. Underneath the deck is a big metal disc that has moveable flail blades that are about four to five inches longs. There's also a vented impeller that sits between the metal disc and the deck. When the engine starts and the impeller/disc starts to spin, an air flow is created which lifts the whole unit up off the ground. The flail blades then cut the grass. So what's so special about that, you might ask? Well, the engine is built so that it can operate at almost a 90 degree vertical angle. Thus, the steep sand traps can easily be trimmed. In addition, the air current allows the unit to be used over water for trimming lake and pond edges. It is really a cool machine. I used to own one when I had my part-time lawn care company. I had a really steep, but narrow and long hill at a cemetery I used to care for. Too steep for a walk behind and the ankles took a beating standing on it when using a string trimmer. Also, hooking ropes to a regular push mower and dragging it back on forth worked somewhat, but it was awkward and cumbersome. With the hover mower (and I did own a Hover Mower brand model) I could stand at the top of the hill and easily mow the hill by gently swinging the mower back and forth with ease. You should have seen the stares I got by people passing by. They were/are pricey though, but well worth the physical labor savings. I was also able to use it around my pond at home. Glided out over the water with no problems. It was a cool piece of equipment.

jschu13
11-26-2006, 08:16 AM
The parts are all lightweight materials. The deck is heavy duty plastic. The disc is aluminum. The flail blades are about four to five inches long and about three quarters of an inch wide, also made out of aluminum. The impeller is also made out of heavy duty plastic. The handle is small diameter lightweight metal tubing. The engine was the only "traditionally" constructed piece on the mower and it is a small engine.

Just as a test when I had mine, I used it as a regular push mower on a small residential yard I maintained. It actually cut fairly well. The cutting width was 18" on mine, I believe. Kind of small, but it was still a worthwhile piece of equipment for me.

grass-scapes
11-26-2006, 08:18 AM
Ive got 2 hover mowers made by Allen, the company from the UK. they both have honda 4.5 hp engines with oil pumps which allows them to be used on slopes. They were around 6 bills each when I bought them. They didn't work out for me. the hill was so steep, I couldn't stand on it with the mower in my hands. Less than 5 hours of use each.

by the way....these use plastic line, very similar to a string trimmer. The line is the size of a pencil, though.

I may consider selling one or both if the offer were right.

jschu13
11-26-2006, 08:20 AM
The blades were stainless steel, not aluminum. Very thin and very light, but very sharp and they seemed to keep their edge extremely well. Plus, they were two-sided so you could unbolt them and flip them over to prolong their life.

jschu13
11-26-2006, 08:38 AM
www.hovermower.com is the correct website to see a version from Eastman Industries.