PDA

View Full Version : Hedge removal

bmh1202
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but here goes. I've got a potential customer that has aprox 155' of small(5-6') hemlock hedges they want removed. I'm not sure of the best way to do this. They are not big at all, the largest being masybe 3" in diameter. I was thinking of pulling them out with my ATV winch. Didn't know if there was a better way-mini-hoe/excavator? Thanks for any input.

nocutting
04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi, nothing faster than a chain on the back of your pick-up truck?....I did 38, mics. evergreens 3-8ft, with my "Girlfriend" [ and up to 60ft of chain ], they dont like it when we drive on there lawns in the city?......Charged $30 per for the removals and another $150 for the dump charge [ actual cost at the dump was $95] two trips, about 15mins. away- regards Saxon

bicmudpuppy
04-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I agree with just jerking them. They should come out prety easy, but......any reason or place to replant or keep them? It always hurts to trash quality plants.

bmh1202
04-12-2005, 04:21 PM
no reason to keep. the customer is having wood fence put in and just wants them out. Think it's easier to cut them down and then pull stumps or just yank the whole thing?

Popper357
04-12-2005, 08:55 PM
How do you guys attach a chain to a plant like this? Wrap the chain around several times and hook it?

If I had enough room to haul, I'd take them in one piece. cutting them down some would save some space.

Lawnworks
04-12-2005, 10:30 PM
I would not yank them out. It seems like it would damage the turf, and the possibility of a chain breaking is not a chance I want to take. I would just cut them off and then get them stump ground.

bicmudpuppy
04-12-2005, 10:56 PM
If cutting them off would be easier, I would buy a new chain for my worst chain saw and cut them off below grade and clean the saw up and install the new blade when done. But, I think jerking them would be easier. I wouldn't use a chain, I would use a cable and hook. As close together as these are going to be, I might be tempted to hook up to two at a time........ Depends on what surface you have to pull from. But then, I've been accused of being lazy before.......by me!

Popper357
04-12-2005, 11:19 PM
"But then, I've been accused of being lazy before.......by me!"

I'm with ya! Nice