PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this happen?

jims lawn service
04-12-2005, 11:49 AM
Had a lawn customer want to meet me this morning ,said it was urgent ,that she couldnt talk to me on the phone.So it rained last night it was wet this morning so I met her on her driveway at 8 am.She is about 60 and a little wacky.I figured she was going to drop me because she was having money problems.She tells me how tough times are for her,she lost her job in the winter,house was broke into and ransacked,and she has had no luck finding meaningful employment.I told her I understood and figured my service was no longer needed.She then tells me she has no family no one to depend on and no friends.She then ask me for a loan.WTF,I told her I didnt have a cashflow and didnt have money to lend.After all the season just started.She then grabs
my hand and tells me Im her only friend :dizzy: .And she starts crying.I told her I was sorry and then she asked for a couple hundred or whatever I could spare.I should say I picked her up as a customer at the end of last season and have only cut her twice so far this year. I felt broadsided by this ,Im just the lawnman not the First National. :dizzy: ;)

procut
04-12-2005, 11:55 AM
Wow, thats unusual. Did you give her any money?

jims lawn service
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
No I didnt but would have if I was the First National :)

Markf
04-12-2005, 12:10 PM
You must have ATM tattooed on your forehead.

Lawn Boy
04-12-2005, 12:13 PM
thats crazy, I understand your point of view though. Sometimes people forget that there is always work out there and to keep trying. Thats just weird tough spot to put you in!! Good Luck!!!

jims lawn service
04-12-2005, 12:18 PM
Yeah thanks lawn boy.I actually told her about a restaurant that was hiring because my daughter just got a job there,she kinda blew that off though.Maybe she created her own problem.

Sunset Lawn Care
04-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Put her to work......think of the money as a cash advance for an employee. She may be old but I bet she could handle a blower. Watch out for broken hips though.

Teiman
04-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Ive run into that with customers and employees,
Usually alcoholics from my experience. One was a Coke head.

If you give her any help, realize that it is charity, cause you will
never get it back till you meet your maker. Ive heard he keeps track
of this stuff.

Pecker
04-12-2005, 03:52 PM
I always feel sorry for someone in that position. . .but doesn't it kinda hack you off that she brought over there on false pretenses [usually when customers call its because they want your services]! I hope she finds some help but she needs to have a little more class than that.

jims lawn service
04-12-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes it did make me feel sorry for her but she did it under false pretences.Im afraid that if I gave it to her it wouldnt end.I even called the mayor of the city she lives in because I know him personally and asked if there were any assistance programs that the city offers and he told me there wasnt.Made a few calls to people I know who play the piano because she told me thats all she has to sell.Nobody I knew was interested.I think Ive tried to help alittle but came up empty.Cant save the world I guess.

Teiman
04-12-2005, 04:17 PM
Thats why I think there is a substance problem
Poor people usually go find work, go to the Church etc....
Drunks do weird stuff like try to get money from the Lawn care guy.

If your not in a position to help her, but feel sympathetic, tell a local pastor about her, He might be able to get her some real help Vs. enough cash for another bottle. Sometimes local congregations like to adopt/help local needy.

Shawns Lawns
04-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Boy does she have some balls. That is amazing you should have told her you can loan her but you need her house in your name till the loan is paid off. :waving: