PDA

View Full Version : Dixie Chopper Fluid

menchhofer
04-12-2005, 08:20 PM
I have a Dixie Flatlander...an older model and have been told by the dealer it takes a special hydraulic fluid at 28.00 per gallon. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Should I just bite the bullet and use the "special" fluid or could I simply use a good brand of hydraulic fluid....any help would be appreciated...

Grass Man
04-12-2005, 10:39 PM
.... Call one of the major oil companies on there 800 number and talk to there product (tech support) div. Tell them what you have (type, year of mower etc.) and what you are suppose to use (type of fluid). Or, just tell them the name and type of fluid they may have a substitute. They should have a compatible product for your machine. And sometimes at a far better price and even better quality :).

.... Good luck.
I have a Dixie Flatlander...an older model and have been told by the dealer it takes a special hydraulic fluid at 28.00 per gallon. Has anyone else experienced this situation? Should I just bite the bullet and use the "special" fluid or could I simply use a good brand of hydraulic fluid....any help would be appreciated...

HOMER
04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
It's probably the VTC oil. That was put in on some of the newer models. An old one just takes 20-50 if I recall.

ProMo
04-13-2005, 08:29 AM
I use mobil 1 in my 96 flatlander and have only changed it 2x

burnandreturn
04-13-2005, 08:59 AM
You can use Mobil 1 synthetic, 15w 50. I use Synergyn Super Torque in mine and increased my fuel efficiency dramatically.

Richard Martin
04-13-2005, 05:17 PM
Dixie Chopper's flavor of the month is Lucas 15/40 HIGH TBN LONG DRAIN TRUCK OIL. The oil before that was their custom blended VTC and before that it was Schaffers. Every time Art Evans makes a good deal with a oil maker that particular oil becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread until somebody else makes him a good deal on oil.

menchhofer
04-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Dixie Chopper's flavor of the month is Lucas 15/40 HIGH TBN LONG DRAIN TRUCK OIL. The oil before that was their custom blended VTC and before that it was Schaffers. Every time Art Evans makes a good deal with a oil maker that particular oil becomes the greatest thing since sliced bread until somebody else makes him a good deal on oil.

So, I assume a good quality hydraulic fluid will suffice instead of the "flavor of the month"?

menchhofer
04-13-2005, 07:03 PM
I believe I will try the Mobil 1 Synthetic. I do not believe it would hurt anything. Just wanted to be sure if there was anything I was possibly missing here.

Richard Martin
04-13-2005, 07:32 PM
So, I assume a good quality hydraulic fluid will suffice instead of the "flavor of the month"?

I would use a motor oil rather then hydro fluid. I've never looked into the viscosities of hydro fluid but you do want something that is kinda thin (10w/15w) on start up.