PDA

View Full Version : Lazer HP leaving strips of grass.

mad_wrestler
04-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I just purchased a new EXmark 48" Lazer HP 19 Hp Kawa. I have installed a mulching kit and that is it. I notice that a strip of grass seems to show up time to time not mowed. What are some things that would cause this? Is it normal to have to take the mower back after a purchase to get some fine tuning done to it? Lastly, with the mulching kit installed, which blades would you recommend? Thanks

Creative Lawn Care
04-12-2005, 08:45 PM
I would for sure take it back to dealer since it is new. Mine never leaves any uncut grass, they are great mowers. SUre it is just a minor adjusment needed. I would go with either to exmark mulch blade or the gator blades.

dvmcmrhp52
04-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I just purchased a new EXmark 48" Lazer HP 19 Hp Kawa. I have installed a mulching kit and that is it. I notice that a strip of grass seems to show up time to time not mowed. What are some things that would cause this? Is it normal to have to take the mower back after a purchase to get some fine tuning done to it? Lastly, with the mulching kit installed, which blades would you recommend? Thanks

How much grass are you cutting off while using the mulching setup?(maybe the grass is too long,mulchers don't work well if too much growth is cut at one time)

traman
04-12-2005, 09:58 PM
exmark mulching blades and a slight rack on deck higher in back , should do it, and like above said try not to cut more than 4 inches at a time

mad_wrestler
04-12-2005, 10:07 PM
exmark mulching blades and a slight rack on deck higher in back , should do it, and like above said try not to cut more than 4 inches at a time

What does "slight rack" mean. I am currently using Exmark mulching blades. Also the grass wasn't high at all.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Take it back to the dealer and have them check it over.

Oldtimer
04-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Set your tire pressure @ 12psi all around.

Drive mower onto a level surface.

Measure the distance from the ground to the end of each blade with blades turned fore and aft. Each blade should be between 1/8" and 1/4" lower at the front of the deck than at the back.

Blades must be sharp.

Since this deck is set up for mulching it would be a good idea to use mulching blades.

Spend some quality time with the owner's manual.

Oldtimer

mad_wrestler
04-13-2005, 05:44 AM
Great. I'll check the tire pressure and adjust accordingly. Then I will take my measurements. The blades that I am using are the ones that came with the mulching kit provided by EXmark. So they should be sharp, right? If this stuff doesn't take care of it then I will take it to the dealer. Also, would low RPMs cause this? It seems like there is not any change in speed from 3/4 throttle to full throttle. Thanks.

HOMER
04-13-2005, 06:55 AM
Take it back and have them put the tachometer on the engine. I noticed my new 27-60 seemed a little weak and had them check it. It was only turning 3400 rpm........they adjusted it to 3760 and it helped a bunch. Mine however was not leaving any grass behind, just a little weak.

kipcom
04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
PROBLEM: It leaves a "strip of grass un-cut".
........Bent Blade causing the over lap to not cut a full 360deg. area

Corrective action: Locate bent blade & replace.

:cool2:

Tvov
04-13-2005, 07:38 AM
One more thing to check -- Are all the blades the same length? It happens very rarely with factory blades, but check the length of all the blades. One may be a bit short. This happens to me a lot when I try to save money and buy cheapo after market blades.

Oldtimer
04-13-2005, 07:54 AM
While you are at the dealer have him order you a tachometer. The one offered by Stihl and Echo is very thin, has an available wire & clip and the readout is large. The price will be >$100.00 but is worth every penny. You have lost more than that in time already.

Oldtimer

dishboy
04-13-2005, 08:32 AM
To much deck rake will cause this on the short bladed 48 deck. Also cutting to much grass on a single pass. The 48 likes 1/8 inch rake or less. You can buy a John Deere blade height checker for under 10 dollars.

As far as buying a tack, Briggs sells a wire tack for around $12.00.

Blessed 1
04-13-2005, 09:06 AM
My 48 HP had a bracket just rear of the discharge chute that had to be removed when I installed the mulching kit. Before I removed it, it was leaving a small streak of grass same as yours. Hope this helps!

Markf
04-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Try a search on the subject. I know that last year my son (sgoalie23) had the same problem with an Exmark AS 60". Also, do a search on the Exmark sponsor site. He also addressed the problem there. Hope this helps.
Mark :waving:

Envy Lawn Service
04-15-2005, 02:15 AM
If none of this pans out the problem... force the blades around to where they meet and see if they match up. I quit buying the eXmark blades mulching blades because the steel is too thin and weak. The blades flex under load and cause this off and on. But eventually they remain flexed down and you can see where they don't match up.

If the blades are the problem let me know and I'll tell you what to get.

If this still is not the problem, the mulch kit may have to come off because a warped deck is suspect. Some warp during manufacturing so you will have to check this with a 4' level.

But if the blades match up you can tell a lot by adjusting the deck to dead level, slipping all 3 blades to sit front to back like so ( l l l ) and taking measurements at all 3 tips front and back. Past that I can advise on how to check it with a level....