PDA

View Full Version : dethatchers and power rakes

lawnandplow42
04-12-2005, 10:14 PM
How well do dethatchers work (the kind with the metal tines that scrape the ground). How do they compare with power rakes? Never used one, because i've mostly used a rake for dethatching. I am considering buying a dethatcher
j/w, thanks
-dave :waving:

cleancutccl
04-12-2005, 10:17 PM
they are the same thing, just change the reel. A verticut reel can be added to them also.

DND Outdoor
04-13-2005, 08:55 AM
If you are talking about the tow behind type with tines they work pretty good overall but don't compare to a power rake that has spinning type action thats why I charge different rates for them

Shane Scaife
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Why not just buy a core aerator? They work just as well to solve thatch problems and you don't need to change blades for different type of grasses. They are also healthier for the lawn and a lot less work. Just an idea.

br549oicu8
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
A verticut machine will raise a chunk of the thatch to the surface and you can bag it up/remove it prior to seeding. If you choose to power rake you better get the big dump truck for all the junk you will have to pick up. We have 2 Classen's and used to have one as a verticut and the other as a power rake. We removed the power rake shaft and now have 2 verticut machines which in my opinion do a very nice job raising a chunk of the thatch without going totally bonkers!
Aerating helps against thatch buildup but both machines are needed if you plan to do much in the line of renovation.