PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Best Zero Turn For A Homeowner With A Huge Lawn And Trees??

Bayrat
04-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I purchased a new 36" Toro belt drive last year but decided to trade up to a zero turn for my lawn. I want to keep my Kubota outfitted with loader and blade for the heavy work around my property and purchase a machine for just mowing. I have three acres of lawn with quite a bit of trimming, some hilly areas and a few spots that stay fairly wet all year.

I looked at the zero turns last summer and opted out due to cost at that time, but am in a position to be able to upgrade now. The belt drive was only used about ten hours for trimming and the dealer where I purchased it is willing to sell it for me if I buy another new machine from him. He retails Bob Cat, Toro and Wright but there are many more good machines and I don't want to make a mistake by shopping strictly by price. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any advice you may care to share.

chefdrp
04-13-2005, 10:53 PM
please take a look at the Lesco ZTWO. Its the same as the Cub TANK if that helps you any. The price it right too. I just got a new Z with 54 in deck,stock roller,23 hp Kaw. One fine cutting machine. just under 6 grand.

Spirit Lanwcare
04-13-2005, 11:07 PM
The BobCat would be a very decent chocie.

Stay away from Lesco and Cub IMHO as they are made by MTD and nothing good has ever come from MTD...They don't call it Missed The Dumpster for nothing! Also, the contract between Lesco and MTD is ending which could make parts an issue down the road.

gunner27
04-14-2005, 12:25 AM
I purchased a new 36" Toro belt drive last year but decided to trade up to a zero turn for my lawn. I want to keep my Kubota outfitted with loader and blade for the heavy work around my property and purchase a machine for just mowing. I have three acres of lawn with quite a bit of trimming, some hilly areas and a few spots that stay fairly wet all year.

I looked at the zero turns last summer and opted out due to cost at that time, but am in a position to be able to upgrade now. The belt drive was only used about ten hours for trimming and the dealer where I purchased it is willing to sell it for me if I buy another new machine from him. He retails Bob Cat, Toro and Wright but there are many more good machines and I don't want to make a mistake by shopping strictly by price. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any advice you may care to share.If you don't do use any of these mowers you mentioned full time, then they should last you for years, as in ten years plus. There is a huge differance between homeowner and commercial units. When in doubt, buy commercial...........

Teiman
04-14-2005, 01:44 AM
I have 5 acres 3 mowable two ponds and thousands of trees.
Just bought a Wright. Very maneuverable, probably best on the market
for tight spots and ZTR. Very short Wheel base.

Previous machine was a Gravely pro 40" belt dr walk behind. Cut my time in half, but the 61 with fixed deck is a little rougher on the contours. I am grinding sticks/branches all the way and Crawdad mounds. The wright is built like a tank. I am pleased with it. Fun to operate, drives like a Porsche.
Go demo one. Same boat, keep my old 9n with blade, tiller, rake. Sold the woods deck, not agile enough.

rodfather
04-14-2005, 07:49 AM
Try looking at the Ferris IS1500 if you can.

PMLAWN
04-14-2005, 08:40 AM
Toro makes the Timecutter. It's a Z but it is not the commercial unit. For once a week use it should last for years.
If you really want commercially the Bob Cat will work good and be quite a bit cheaper than a Toro.
I buy Toro for my business over Bob Cat but use them each and every day for 5+ hours.
Don't know anything about Wright
If you buy any of the 3 you will never need another.

But of course your best bet would be to hire a LCO!!!!! :waving:

Bayrat
04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
Test drove two different models of the Dixie Chopper and a Laser Z today. The only complaint I have it the rough ride, but he had some fairly rough side hill I was testing them on. The Chopper with the optional ($700) seat and the optional adjustable tensioning seat on the Laser smoothed things out quite a bit, but still fairly jarring. Quite honestly, I liked the Chopper better, and at $6200 for a 23 HP 50" commercial mower it is not a bad price.

I also have looked at buy not driven a 23 HP Kubota with floating front axle and 52" deck at $6800, the Bob Cat 20 HP 51" at $6500, Country Clipper 19 HP 52" at $6800, Gravely 23 or 27 HP can't recall, with 60" deck and fully adjustable tensioning seat and seat back for $7899 (what a machine!), Toro 20 HP 52"(?) with no seat shock absorbing mechanism available (ouch) for $6500. Still waiting for the Sentar Sport to arrive at the dealer to test.

I am considering a 60" deck due to the trimming advantages but the price in most cases is $800-$1200 more. That may keep me in the 50" range.

Here are the advantages and options I want after test driving these machines.

Floating or extra supportive seat
Greasable spindles
Good HP/weight ratio
Large floating tires
Pricing

I believe the Chopper is the best buy so far, any thoughts?

Itsgottobegreen
04-15-2005, 01:11 PM
. Still waiting for the Sentar Sport to arrive at the dealer to test.

You really want to try a full size sentar. I tried the sport and didn't like it. The sentar sport is more of a toy but priced good. I can cut you a good deal on a almost brand new 61" sentar if you would like.

Dixie Pro Lawn Care
04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
Go the DC route. You'll love it. I'm not biased by the way...lol.

Bayrat
04-19-2005, 10:40 PM
It was a horse-race to the end. Gravely and Dixie within a RCH, but the Gravely gave a bit better ride. I don't have a manicured lawn, it is full of dips and lumps so I let comfort be the final determining factor. The Dixie with the fat optional seat was very close but by the time they put that $700 option on the 60" machine it was as much as the Gravely but had fewer extras. There were no machines I liked better than these two!

I have to admit that I am impressed with the Gravely options for the price. The Gravely has the same double filtration system as my diesel Kubota, hydraulic deck lift, extra large frame and tires and a dealer that has been selling them for decades. He also threw in the IQ system, must be a slow mover. I like the front axle that either floats or locks, it is unlocked and my first cutting today looked great.