PDA

View Full Version : Dump Site Fees

MOW ED
04-14-2005, 06:19 AM
We have a compost site in town and it has become less and less convenient to use over the years. It used to be open all the time but people abused it and dumped rock and tv's and all kinds of non-yard junk there so they put hour restrictions on with an old retired dude to watch what is dumped. Its open at some time every day except Friday but the hours are not very friendly to me.
The city also picks up debris from curbside which uses crews with a vacuum truck. I always thought that the contractors are sort of helping the city out by reducing the amount of work the big rigs have to do by bringing debris to the site.
Yesterday I get a half sheet of paper stating that as of May 15, 2005 all contractors have to purchase a sticker in order to dump. The sticker cost 100 bucks for the first vehicle and 25 for every other vehicle. Homeowners are still allowed to dump for free.
Now I am not against paying a fee to dump but it seems like we are being targeted for some unknown reason. As a matter of fact I would pay 200 a year if I could have a key to the gate and be able to dump when I need to.
I know the hundred bucks ain't beans compared to the total operation but you have to know what kind of B.S. goes on in some of these meetings sometimes.
This ordinance was just passed without anyone knowing it was coming and no comment time was allowed unless you had been at the meeting.
I have an alternate place to dump that I secured with a gentleman this year so I really don't have to use the dump anymore but I will probably end up buying a sticker next season just in case.

What do you folks pay for dump fees, is it a per load or a yearly pass or something else? Everyone got their hand in my pocket recently, the nice thing is that my rates have gone up significantly and no one is complaining.

1MajorTom
04-14-2005, 07:47 AM
A guy approached us over a couple years ago and told us he would like to have our grass clippings. We were thrilled to hear this. This "dump", actually one huge huge compost pile is only minutes from our service route. This makes it so easy for us. We pay absolutely nothing.
We are always on the lookout though for other dump sites, meaning other homeowners that want grass clippings incase we lose our current site.

CamLand
04-14-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm caught in the middle,If I work in certain counties then Dumping is free otherwise I pay...

cleancutccl
04-14-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't pay for grass clippings to be dumped, the city composts it and sells it back to the community, this service is only for commercial services though. I do have to pay for any sticks and dirt that I need to dump.

Equipguy
04-14-2005, 05:10 PM
We pay by the pound. $33 per ton for yard waste.

bobbygedd
04-14-2005, 05:22 PM
free. except, it's only open, after dark. and don't get caught

BSDeality
04-14-2005, 05:38 PM
how do they still allow that? around here dumps do not accept clippings any more do to excessive pesticide residues by uneducated homeowners.

ince8728
04-14-2005, 06:02 PM
we have a dump in town where you pay 55 for the entire year and you can dump unlimited amounts, BUT there only open thurs through sun, and they don't allow commercial trucks or dump inserts or even boards on the sides so you can carry more. but if all you have is a pickup ur fine but othereise you have to travel half an hr 2 dump where they charge around 60-100 each time for landscape type dump trucks etc...

fga
04-14-2005, 06:27 PM
that sucks having to pay to dump. good thing i bag everything and leave in an a nice alittle garbage bag at the curb... here's a pic from today :) notice the bag in the pic. (it ruined my picture, so i can't use it, so this thread can have it.)

CamLand
04-14-2005, 06:36 PM
If thats compost,Michigan would drive right by it.It has to be in compost paper bags...

fga
04-14-2005, 06:48 PM
If thats compost,Michigan would drive right by it.It has to be in compost paper bags...
that grass clippings/thatch. here they'll take anything. its the sanitation police in their little orange cars that you have to look for. once i actually leave, i'm clear cuz they can't prove the homeowner didn't do it. in the fall with the leaves they're pretty strict on leaves being in clear bags, but that's only cuz there are certain leaf pick up days, where they dispose of them differently.
the other day, the garbage truck was coming down my block. turns out one of my best friends from a few years ago got the route that does my house.... the things i will be dumping this year :cool: (we where talking for 20 minutes while the traffic backed up :D )

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 06:53 PM
it sucks.. I pay $20 for a 8ft bed of grass. and one time $40 for some bushes that only filled up my bed. I need to get into the dump business. They freakin charge you to dump, they turn it into mulch, rocks, concrete, soil, etc, and then charge you to buy it back. Its a rip off, just like gas, but you gotta buy it. :(

I rather pay like $200 to have unlimited dumping.

Oh and this place is only open until like 5, and 4 on saturday. so sometimes I have to drive around with crap in my truck for a few days. it blows.

lwcmattlifter
04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
$45 per ton for commercial here. I quit going to the dump/transfer station when I found out my mulch supplier will take my debris for free.

spoolinaround
04-14-2005, 08:11 PM
$35/ pickup bed full and $80 for a 1 ton dump with 4' sideboards or if I am feeling lucky I hook the dump trailer to the caravan and take it to the composting place that takes from homeowners for free, usually the fat chick that works there (and has the hots for me) will let me dump for free :cool2:

lawnman_scott
04-14-2005, 08:56 PM
The county dump charges a flat $10 per pickup truck.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:01 PM
or drive down the freeway doing 70 with the gate down. ofcourse thatd be a big a$$ fine and not to mention the danger for the people driving behind you. so then again, dont to this. Ive seen people doing this, it was funny at time time, but then again, now that I think about it, it might have been dangerous.

Frontier-Lawn
04-14-2005, 09:22 PM
(it ruined my picture, so i can't use it, so this thread can have it.)

hows it look now? :p and i pay $5 per 500lb's

crawdad
04-14-2005, 09:37 PM

Minimum 15 bucks in Sullivan County. Half ton or less. No wonder all them azzholes dump on the back roads.
Crawdad

Turfdude
04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
We have 2 sites here they range from $7.50/yard of clippings to $9.75 per yard of clippings. Brush is $7.50-$15.00/yard and wood chips are free to $4/yd. My weekly fee in the spring averages about $85-$100. The dumpsites are open 7:00-4:30. I love hearing about other guys getting caught doing the "midnight run". One guy I knew of (out of business), got caught twice that I know of w/ fines of about $20,000 as well as a week in jail. Yeah baby-- now thats what I'm talkin about. If you run w/ the big boys, you have to play by their rules.

l1011100
04-14-2005, 10:20 PM
In Cobb County they take trees, sticks, clippings, dirt and leaves. $15 for a pickup and I only pay $35 for a full dump trailer.

C:\Documents and Settings\238089\Desktop\New Folder\DSC04623.JPGsmall.jpg

nocutting
04-14-2005, 10:23 PM
Hi, here we have 2 legal choices?- drive 1/2 hr to the scale at $40 ton or to the "Let me take a look at it place"- where a brushy load a ft and a 1/2 over my pick up costs $40 bucks- guess it depends how much free time or cash you have. :dizzy:

fga
04-14-2005, 10:57 PM
cool man, i resaved it from that pic...not even gonna attempt to figure out how you did that. :)

Frontier-Lawn
04-14-2005, 11:19 PM
ms paint and i magnified it up and did a copy & paste from a area with no bag

bobbygedd
04-15-2005, 08:59 AM
We have 2 sites here they range from $7.50/yard of clippings to $9.75 per yard of clippings. Brush is $7.50-$15.00/yard and wood chips are free to $4/yd. My weekly fee in the spring averages about $85-$100. The dumpsites are open 7:00-4:30. I love hearing about other guys getting caught doing the "midnight run". One guy I knew of (out of business), got caught twice that I know of w/ fines of about $20,000 as well as a week in jail. Yeah baby-- now thats what I'm talkin about. If you run w/ the big boys, you have to play by their rules.
tell me what you are going to do, when south jersey finally evolves (currently, they are about 12 years behind on the evolutionary scale, due to inferior breeding/no splitting of bloodlines), and you are not allowed to dump grass anymore? it will happen, it's just a matter of time. what are you gonna do? eat the grass?

impactlandscaping
04-15-2005, 09:28 AM
We use the local WVU AG Farm for processed waste(clippings, shredded leaves, stump grindings, and chips) for free . When we have to use the local transfer station, it's $55.00 per ton. I also just found out yesterday the supply yard we deal with is wanting fill dumped all summer, so I guess we'll be using their lot a good deal this year.

Turfdude
04-15-2005, 05:07 PM
tell me what you are going to do, when south jersey finally evolves (currently, they are about 12 years behind on the evolutionary scale, due to inferior breeding/no splitting of bloodlines), and you are not allowed to dump grass anymore? it will happen, it's just a matter of time. what are you gonna do? eat the grass?
Actually, Jacka$$, I'm sure there are recycling centers by you, but that you don't price accordingly and/or care about doing things legally. Let's all take bets on how long you last on your own w/out going to work for someone else again. Do I hear less than 1 year??

CrewCutEnterprises
04-15-2005, 05:27 PM
Anne arundel county Resourse recovery facility is my place... in MD. $65.00 a ton. But good thing i dont take it over a ton very often.

brush is always about 40.00

dirt. o gosh another story

bobbygedd
04-15-2005, 06:13 PM
Actually, Jacka$$, I'm sure there are recycling centers by you, but that you don't price accordingly and/or care about doing things legally. Let's all take bets on how long you last on your own w/out going to work for someone else again. Do I hear less than 1 year??
actually mr. gump, they DO NOT take grass here. there were three recycling centers, two were closed down for good, because of pesticide contamination after years of accepting grass. the other one, discontinued accepting grass, and actually has an employee stand over you and watch you while you're dumping. if you have even a little grass, like a handful, the guy screams at you, and makes u put it back in the truck. your place will get shut down, it's only a matter of time. then you'll still bag, but you'll be carrying around little plastic bags and leaving it at thier house.

fga
04-15-2005, 07:54 PM
then you'll still bag, but you'll be carrying around little plastic bags and leaving it at thier house.that's the norm here from 20 employee companies to solo guys. just some commercial building require you take it away cuz the city sanitation doesn't stop at commercial addresses.
i get (100) 33 or 45 gallon bags for $10, good thick ones.
also, a growing trend here for doing jobs since there's limited option for dumping... containers.
i've seen a guy have one at his house that he dumps in at the end of the day with grass. and if ihad to do a big enough job with a lot of refuse, i'd factor in $250 for a container for the site. this is done often. no headache when all is said and done, and the customer foots the bill ofcourse, all legal.

the width of gobbler i bought from you fits perfect in the opening of the 33 bags, and i can usually dump 2 of those in one bag. but since almost all of m accounts are 21", bags go a very long way.

Lawn Dog2001
04-15-2005, 09:37 PM
$10.70 a ton here. Compared to some of your prices Im glad to pay it.

greensway
04-15-2005, 10:38 PM
$6 here for any load of brush, leaves, trees

lawnranger44
04-16-2005, 12:39 AM
We're lucky...

My dad owns land behind our house, so we dump everything back there. We never bag, so we just dump weeds, leaves, hedge clippings and such. Its free though :)

Todd's lawncare
04-16-2005, 12:55 AM
If i take it to the township it's free even being a LLC but the dump here also makes and sells mulch and they take a truck load from 5$ to 15$ never any more than 15$ . The town ship is only open till 1 and thats only on some days