PDA

View Full Version : lawn renovation

DowntoEarthLLC
04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
ok ... so I've got this lawn. Customer wants a nice prettier green lawn. I would like to do it as organically as possible.

I was thinking spray for the dandilion with round-up, put down some compost/topsoil mixture to fill in the holes and ruts, then seed with a contractors blend with some annual rye, tall fescue mixture, and use an organic soil conditioner fertilizer ... maybe something like plant health cares turf builder bag... then seed again in the fall .... anyone got any suggestions? help? advice?

http://www.d2elandscapes.com/lawnproblem.jpg

DowntoEarthLLC
04-15-2005, 10:50 AM
come on guys? no advice?

gil
04-15-2005, 12:15 PM
I would rototill the whole thing. Remove all the dead weeds/ grass, bring new soil and seed it. Don't use round up. Once the grass grown i believe you can apply corn glutten meal to get reed of the weeds they will be about to grow.
I hope this helps.
Gil

Gators_Aerator
04-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Start over like it was suggested or get a long term contract. This is not an easy fix.

The first thing would be to get the weeds under control, then get the lawn healthy and reseed in the fall.

Please let the client know that if you don't start over with a new lawn that the process will take some time.

Corn Gluten is good, but takes some time to work effectively

nocutting
04-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi, 1st weeds grow in bare spots?.....Dandylions are very short lived for the most part.....Seed & Slice now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Use a Dwarf Type Tall Fescue Mix[ lesco has "Team-Mates" ] start with this.......Fertilize with "Greensand"and a "Seaweed / fish emulsion [ this will act as an innocculant]".....Did anyone soil test?......Apply peatmoss to hold water, only get compost if its been "Heat Treated" to kill off any weed seeds!!!!!!!!!! [ Seed at 4-6lbs per 1000sqft.] ....and call me in about 4wks to let me know hows it growing,lol. Hope were chargeing about $225 for the slice, + $3.25lb for the seed,and about $75 for the feeding, $45 for the peat........Regards Saxon payup :cool2:

DowntoEarthLLC
04-18-2005, 02:56 PM
what exactlly is a slice?

:blob3:

Gators_Aerator
04-18-2005, 03:58 PM
Peat moss? Too expensive and harmful to environment, when harvested. Use compost or other recycled ammendment.

I agree with the rest.

Slicing is a way to cut the soil and introduce the seed. It has many different names. Verticut, slit seeding, etc.

woodycrest
04-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Start over like it was suggested or get a long term contract. This is not an easy fix.

The first thing would be to get the weeds under control, then get the lawn healthy and reseed in the fall.

Please let the client know that if you don't start over with a new lawn that the process will take some time.

Corn Gluten is good, but takes some time to work effectively

i would leave the weeds, core aerate, topdress with compost..apply your seed of choice, and let the new grass establish itself through this season.
then a 'heavy' application of your organic fertilizer of choice in early fall.

then spray for weeds next season...the odd proper application of pesticide isnt going to hurt.

WhohasHelios?
04-20-2005, 01:46 AM
Why is the lawn like that now????

No water? Poor soil? High Traffic? Combination?

Do we know that it is going to get the proper care and attention once you start putting in your efforts?

I agree that starting over would be the best, quickest and most effective manner of approaching this problem.

But if you are going to reclaim the existing lawn, I would approach it with a heavy aeration, go over it three or four times. Then overseed and top dress with a seed and soil that will thrive in whatever conditions you have there.

You really should do a soil test, not just pH, but a proper lab test.

Only after these questions are answered can you come up with the right plan of action for the client.

-Reuben

DowntoEarthLLC
04-20-2005, 07:10 PM
the lawn is like this now because the customer does nothing but mow it ...

she's a single mother with alot to do ... so we are looking to get the yard greener, fuller, and better looking. All as organically as possible. I'm not going to start over, she does have the funds to pay for a tractor and power rake. She's fine with this being a season or two...or three...type of project. She's not looking for a golf course lawn ... just a green healthy front yard.

I'm topdressing it with compost ... slice and seeding .... waiting for the fall and maybe seeding again and definatily fertilizing .... Thanks for the ideas guys.

DowntoEarthLLC
04-20-2005, 07:10 PM
and a soil test is being done...

woodycrest
04-20-2005, 07:17 PM
oh, precious time...

and you have plenty of it to get the lawn nice over a couple of seasons.