PDA

View Full Version : Ethics or Just Business!!!!

LoneStarLawn
02-14-2001, 09:13 PM
Scenario:

Your handing out flyers. Going door to door placing your flyer in the proper place on the door. It is easy for you to do because you have door hangers or you have a full sheet flyer (8.5x11). As you had out flyers in a neighbor you would like to expand in, you start to notice a small flyer (about 1/4 of a page) that is either thrown near the door or stuck under the matt. You read the flyer and notice that they offer about the same service, but they have included the price (printed) on the flyer for basic lawn maintenance for that area. So what do you do?

(a) Grab the flyer from the floor near the door and place it in your pocket to dispose of later while placing your flyer in it's proper place.

(b) Leave their flyer alone and just place your flyer in its proper place.

(c) Grab the flyer from the floor near the door and place it in your pocket to later place in a high end (so they will get calls for very low prices) neighborhood while placing your flyer in it's proper place.

(d){ADD YOU OWN}

Groundcover Solutions
02-14-2001, 09:21 PM
i like C but. We used to grab all of the flyers and put them in our flyer passing out sport ut. but we had so meny flyers that we could not even see the floor. Now we just have beeter flyers than every one else and we get all of the business. Hope this is of good use. LOL

Chris Marino
02-14-2001, 09:25 PM
I would do b. The flier that is more professional looking should prevail.

John DiMartino
02-14-2001, 09:31 PM
Hi Chris,welcome aboard.Im about 50 minutes from you.I would do B,It wouldnt be right to rip up his flyers-unless you find he's taking yours-then all's fair.

[Edited by John DiMartino on 02-14-2001 at 08:34 PM]

Five Star Lawn Care LLC
02-14-2001, 09:47 PM
I would go with B...One company took all my flyers from a subdivision and stuffed them into one mail box....real frickn cute, im glad im not that desperate for accounts.

VLM
02-14-2001, 09:52 PM
I would do a. Business is competition, only the strong survive. If he came along after you, what do you think he would do? That's right, he'd take your flier. Besides, the most likely scenario is that both of your flers will be tossed in the trash, so you are really doing the homeowner a service by disposing of their trash (some of it anyway).

awm
02-14-2001, 10:29 PM
Its pretty important what a man thinks of himself
ENUFF SAID

Randy Scott
02-14-2001, 10:33 PM
I think I would leave them lay. I would take my chances and target the neighborhood a couple days later. I don't think a customer is going to call the minute they pick up the other flyer. This way you don't get blamed for "wherever" the other flyers may end up. A lot of people on Lawnsite preach about working with your competition and being friendly, so taking others flyers wouldn't be very ethical. You have the ability to come back in a day or two and hang your professional looking hangar on the door and that should sell yourself better than the one thrown on the ground. That's just the way I would handle it!

cleancut
02-14-2001, 10:42 PM
If there's other flyers, I usually like to get a look at them..Most of the time, they're so unprofessional that they actually make mine look that much better..It seems like most flyers around here just have a name and number..I actually put a little time and effort in mine and usually get the business....Derrick

Island Lawn
02-15-2001, 12:32 AM
ditto awm!

I definately would look at them to size up the competition.

My feeling is that I have to out pro my competition! Not just in my work, but in marketing, and in pro ethics, and....

KirbysLawn
02-15-2001, 12:35 AM
Take http://www.animfactory.com/animations/alphabets/bounce/b_md_clr.gif

I always get a kick out of this, my flyers always look better than most around here, I like for them to be able to compare.

Skookum
02-15-2001, 03:39 AM
B

Not hard to tell whom has time to learn VB and HTML code, EH?

npalomba
02-15-2001, 09:12 AM
B is the correct answer

Groundcover Solutions
02-15-2001, 10:58 AM
I do take 1 just ONE of the other guys fliers so that i can compare it to mine so i have a collection of fliers (all of the are form a different company) Like said before some of the fliers out there are not that great to look at so i usualy will get the call.

GrassMaster
02-15-2001, 11:04 AM
Hello Everybody:

What if someone saw you take it or crumple it up. It would make you look bad? What if the other guy does it to you & he gets caught.

All of you trying to make living, the customer will make the right choice!

Let them Decide for themselves!

Premo Services
02-15-2001, 11:08 AM
I would answer B
Some lawn company put flyers out with a free cut in the neighborhoods I do and one of my customers sent the coupon in with his payment to me, I was shocked and after a lot of arguing with my wife,I accepted the coupon,but told them that I don`t offer coupons and will not accept other companies coupons in the future.(the nerve of some people)
I have a question on this. I was considering putting the flyers next to the ones that I currently do and including the addresses that I am doing(so they could see the work they would be getting),and the price for the cutting,what do you think of putting the price on the flyer?

LoneStarLawn
02-15-2001, 11:47 AM
That has to be the shortest post by GrassMaster...

i did see one when handing out flyers so I took it because I wanted to know who they were. It was in the bushes at the time so I don't think the resident would have found it anyway.

Im suprised to see so many view this thread without makeing a choice and posting that choice.

russman
02-15-2001, 11:54 AM
Business is business but I also must live with myself and face myself in the mirror. Let your work speak for it self
Leave the flier alone

Bassman
02-15-2001, 12:12 PM
No other choice for me but B. I am raising my 14 year old son alone and try to teach by example. (Plus I have a conscious). If I can't get em fair and square then I don't need em.

SodFather
02-15-2001, 12:25 PM
I would say B Leave it alone. Put yourself in that position how would you like someone doing that to your flyers,Taking it and throwing it out (even though they probable will). The best part is when customers in that neiborhood call and you know they picked you over the other guy!!

Strawbridge Lawn
02-15-2001, 01:57 PM
I would leave it there. If you get a job where you know those other fliers were put then ask the homeowner why he chose yours over the other. Use proper ethics regardless of what you think the other guy is going to do. Doing the right thing will always pay off in the long run.