PDA

View Full Version : Look at this and tell me how much you'd charge.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 08:15 PM
She needs these bushes removed and either new ones put in, or arbor vites put in. Its about 60feet long. Her house was hit by a car two years ago, and they were replaced then, and then hit again in november, so she wants these removed and new ones put in.

Maybe 1 day max to get all those out, then another day to get new ones in.

Im thinking $2200.

What would you guys charge?

thanks

nobagger
04-14-2005, 08:24 PM
She needs these bushes removed and either new ones put in, or arbor vites put in. Its about 60feet long. Her house was hit by a car two years ago, and they were replaced then, and then hit again in november, so she wants these removed and new ones put in.

Maybe 1 day max to get all those out, then another day to get new ones in.

Im thinking $2200.

What would you guys charge?

thanks
Mark I don't know, how many guys, just 2 would blow through it in a couple of hours I would think. Whats your hourly rate per guy?

KINGjosh
04-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I couldn't say on the price, but do you really think it will take you 2 days to do that? Are you solo? How are you going to be removing them? How much are the shrubs each and how many will you need?

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 08:26 PM
Mark I don't know, how many guys, just 2 would blow through it in a couple of hours I would think. Whats your hourly rate per guy?

No I dont think it'd take two days, but I like to cover my ass just incase. Going to try removeing them with some shovels, but if that doesnt work my truck should take em out. And it I get arbor vites It'll be like $400 just for the arbor vites.

Ive never taken out this many bushes at one time, thats why i said 1day max. it might only end up taking 3 hours. but ya it'd be me and one guy. I charge $40 a man hour and pay my guy 8 an hour.

She might just want the same kinda bush thats in their now, what kind is that?

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:10 PM
maybe its a golden privot?

SodKing
04-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Since I don't know your pricing I will give you a quote using mine.

I would bid about $920 including the arborvitae, and removal and disposal, of the existing shrubs. With the proper equipment that is a 2 hour job including dumping fee and time.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:37 PM
2 hour job to remove those and install new ones?

also, what is the proper equipment to be used in this case?

sorry, im just more familiar with hardscaping not so much plants and whatnot.

btw, how much are you paying for your arbor vites, and would you think 15 is not enough to plant in this case?

SodKing
04-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Kubota B 8200 w/woods backhoe. Shrubs would be out and the holes for the shrubs in about 1/2 hour, 1 hour to plant new shrubs and backfill, 15min to cleanup, 10min to dumpsite, 5 min back to shop.

SodKing
04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
would you think 15 is not enough to plant in this case?

What is the length of the site? "vites" should be planted 4-5 ' on center. remember they are going to get 20+ feet tall and 3-4'+feet wide

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:48 PM
Kubota B 8200 w/woods backhoe. Shrubs would be out and the holes for the shrubs in about 1/2 hour, 1 hour to plant new shrubs and backfill, 15min to cleanup, 10min to dumpsite, 5 min back to shop.

ahhh... ya I cant afford a kubota yet, so it looks like ill be using the good ole handy dandy shovels

oh and to answer the previous question, its 60ft long

SodKing
04-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Then Rent one and upcharge the rental fee. You will save her money in the long run. 60 feet you could shoehorn 15 in and be fine.

greenwithenvylandscape
04-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Yank em with the truck and plant the new ones....be done by lunch time! Charge your hourky rate.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Then Rent one and upcharge the rental fee. You will save her money in the long run. 60 feet you could shoehorn 15 in and be fine.

I would rent one, but wouldnt it tear up her existing lawn... plus I dont know how to operate one. What about a skid steer, I have access to one. my buddy has one and give me a hell of a deal when ever I need him. could tie a rope to the skid steer tooth thingy and then just raise the hydraulics. however, sense these are only a year old they might be easy to get out. tommorrow im going to go over their and tug on em.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:57 PM
Yank em with the truck and plant the new ones....be done by lunch time! Charge your hourky rate.

I would but the street is about 10ft away, and its a main road, so thats out of the question.

SodKing
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
The backhoe is to dig them out and then dig a nice hole with

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
look like im in an icky situation and looks like the shovels and hands will be getting a workout. but hey, ill just bid high and hope the insurance company that is paying for it give the okay. (car hit her house and insurance is paying for this)

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 10:00 PM
The backhoe is to dig them out and then dig a nice hole with

true. but again, wouldnt it tear up the lawn? because the backhoe would have to be sitting on the grass. the street is to far away, even on the other side, because the other side of these has 3ft sidewalk, then like 10ft strip of grass wide, then the street. dangit.

SodKing
04-14-2005, 10:09 PM
Use plywood on the feet of the supports to prevent tear up.

RedWingsDet
04-14-2005, 10:10 PM
Use plywood on the feet of the supports to prevent tear up.

ah smart man. how big is the kubota? any pix of yours?

SodKing
04-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Mid size 30hp tractor, no pics that I know of...

dvmcmrhp52
04-14-2005, 10:15 PM
From the pic it looks like you should be able to hook up the truck with a chain to those shrubs and yank them right out from the side street. That's what I'd be doing.
1/2 day job at most.

KINGjosh
04-14-2005, 10:15 PM
Solution to your problem: Find 2 workers and give them each $100 to rip out plants and install new ones while you sit back and collect payup .

Lawnchoice
04-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Mark,

Hook them up to the F150 that you have been trying to sell for so long. It it bends the frame, have your insurance co. total it out!

JK

Rent a machine, save yourself the aggravation and see what the machine can do for your business.

sheshovel
04-15-2005, 02:13 AM
Whats the big deal with him just taking a sharp shovel and a pair of lops and digging the shrubs out?
Is everybody so afraid of a little work?I alone could have them out and new holes preped and amended in a few hours.They have only been in a year big deal!throw them on a tarp and drag it away.
then all ya gotta do is drop the new (shrubs not "bushes") in and water them in.I have to say $2200.00 sounds a bit steep to me.The insurance company can say No to too high of a price you know.
I can't give you a price cuz don't know what you are gonna buy for replacement plants.
I do recommend if this has happened twice before that you install something alot stronger and thicker to help slow down the car plowing thru,you could save a life.

jrussell555
04-15-2005, 03:10 AM

No way could you do that in 3 hrs. You got to get up and get your coffee. Then think about the day. That is 1/2 hr. Then hook up your trailer. 15 min. Then drive to the site. Ok now your into the job 1 hr. Ok, then you unload. 15 min. Talk to the customer for 10 and then start working. Now you just get digging and your cell phone rings for another bid. Stop digging and talk a bit.
Before you know it, the day is 3.5 hrs into it and youve only removed half the sh#t. 2 hrs later you have them removed and on the trailer to dump, and unless the dump is 2 minutes away, you got traffic lights and time to deal with.

Dumping will take about 2 hrs max, unless you've got the dump trailer, 15min in that case and your back on the job site. Then your waiting on the shrubs to be delivered to your site, still paying your subs $8.00 hr or so, then you plant. I say that your job should take you one 10 hour day to complete with planting and cleanup and haluling. Unless you have a 4 man crew, 1 dump person and a delivery company that delivers on time. In that case I would say 6 hrs total. :cool2:

sheshovel
04-15-2005, 02:55 PM

No way could you do that in 3 hrs. You got to get up and get your coffee. Then think about the day. That is 1/2 hr. Then hook up your trailer. 15 min. Then drive to the site. Ok now your into the job 1 hr. Ok, then you unload. 15 min. Talk to the customer for 10 and then start working. Now you just get digging and your cell phone rings for another bid. Stop digging and talk a bit.
Before you know it, the day is 3.5 hrs into it and youve only removed half the sh#t. 2 hrs later you have them removed and on the trailer to dump, and unless the dump is 2 minutes away, you got traffic lights and time to deal with.

Dumping will take about 2 hrs max, unless you've got the dump trailer, 15min in that case and your back on the job site. Then your waiting on the shrubs to be delivered to your site, still paying your subs $8.00 hr or so, then you plant. I say that your job should take you one 10 hour day to complete with planting and cleanup and haluling. Unless you have a 4 man crew, 1 dump person and a delivery company that delivers on time. In that case I would say 6 hrs total. :cool2:
Are you refuring to me when you said bul..t?

sheshovel
04-15-2005, 03:05 PM

Are you refuring to me when you said bul..t?well that's not very nice and your the one who's full of it.I don't have to think about the day have done that the night before and I can think and function at the same time don't know about you,
Drink my coffie in my truck and don't need a trailer will throw debri in back of truck.
Have allready ordered plant materials delivered and they are on site.
Does not take me 15 min to unload a few shovels and a pair of lops and a tarp,
more like 7 seconds.
Do not stop and talk to client I keep working while they talk to me.
Am doing job alone so don't have to worry about paying anybody to stand around
and I have my service pick up the cell phone call so am not botherd by that and sure don't stop to answer it and talk.
So looks to me like your work is full of bulls... not mine.Also he said he cannot afford and does not know how to operate a kaboda pay attention.

G&MLC
04-15-2005, 04:18 PM
I think he was referring to SodKing

sheshovel
04-15-2005, 11:46 PM
OH sorry jrussell555,thought you ment me.

SodKing
04-15-2005, 11:50 PM
Are you refuring to me when you said bul..t?well that's not very nice and your the one who's full of it.I don't have to think about the day have done that the night before and I can think and function at the same time don't know about you,
Drink my coffie in my truck and don't need a trailer will throw debri in back of truck.
Have allready ordered plant materials delivered and they are on site.
Does not take me 15 min to unload a few shovels and a pair of lops and a tarp,
more like 7 seconds.
Do not stop and talk to client I keep working while they talk to me.
Am doing job alone so don't have to worry about paying anybody to stand around
and I have my service pick up the cell phone call so am not botherd by that and sure don't stop to answer it and talk.
So looks to me like your work is full of bulls... not mine.Also he said he cannot afford and does not know how to operate a kaboda pay attention.

my sentiment exactly

sildoc
04-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Price on the medium high side. Insurance will give 10-40% more than what the acutal job is worth. done a few insurance replacements and charged almost 2x what it was worth. One tree 3" caliper cost me 250 sold to insurance for 1500. removal of old tree and new tree put in. took me less than a day to use a shovel and dig up old and replace with new.

Adamma Landscape Group
04-17-2005, 01:45 AM
Premier you got a lot of work ahead of you. Estimate 3 days for this type of work for a 2 man crew. Remember that after you cut the bushes down you have a jungle of roots to dig out before you can re-plant anything else.

RedWingsDet
04-17-2005, 08:29 PM
Premier you got a lot of work ahead of you. Estimate 3 days for this type of work for a 2 man crew. Remember that after you cut the bushes down you have a jungle of roots to dig out before you can re-plant anything else.

ahh. thank you. I have to give her the quote tomorrow. for 3 days with 2 people, that'd be 80x36+300+materials. So thats 3480. That seems way high just for some bush work.

I think I may put it in at like $2200, because after I Pay my guy and for materials thats still 1600 in my pocket.

SodKing
04-17-2005, 08:33 PM

You have got to be kidding...

TLS
04-17-2005, 09:22 PM
I think you should just get a quote from SodKing, add on $500 and sub it out to him.

A machine will make this job quite easy, so give the job to someone set up to handle it. Then, go out and make your own money while he's doing it.

Work smarter, not harder!

RedWingsDet
04-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I think you should just get a quote from SodKing, add on $500 and sub it out to him.

A machine will make this job quite easy, so give the job to someone set up to handle it. Then, go out and make your own money while he's doing it.

Work smarter, not harder!

good thinking. im going to call my old neighbor who owned a tree scaping company. he always gives me sweet prices for tree work... thanks for reminding me :)

SodKing
04-18-2005, 07:48 AM
ITs not hard its simple excavation and backfilling the depth of the bucket. Yes subcontracting out services you don't know how to do is a viable alternative to overcharging your client. I know how to cut down trees but I am not terribly efficient at it, nor do I have the proper equipment. Tree work I sub out.

YardPro
04-18-2005, 08:15 AM
3 days with 2 guys??????

that's crazy.

rent a mini ex and be done in 1 hour. pay the $125.00 rental and replant.

two guys, one day MAX.