PDA

View Full Version : Lost one of my best lawns

Eho
04-14-2005, 11:50 PM
I lost a very good customer today...a couple in their mid 30s who pay $30 per week for a easy,little lawn. Great people, very nice, but he is quitting his job and starting his own company so they need to cut back a little. She seemed sad when she delivered the news to me. They are such nice people that I m considering mowing one more time for them for free and giving them a thank you note for being a good customer for three years. Yalls thoughts? Anybody ever do something like this? Turned out OK cuz I lost that one today but picked up a new one. A guy cancelled his current service and got me b/c he said that the lawn I mowed looked GREAT.
EHO

Envy Lawn Service
04-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Oh yes. Very good business practice. I get a lot of hardship cancellations in advance of renewal times. Dang good customers. I always try to show my appreciation in some form or fashion. I try to do that so they are sure to just automatically call me when things improve and they want someone to do it again.

If this guy is sucessful at getting this business off the ground, this job will come back to you. He'll soon be too busy to be bothered with doing it himself.

ECS
04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
I think it is a great idea under the circumstances and believe that I would do the same thing.

Remsen1
04-15-2005, 03:32 PM
I have had similar situations. I was able to barter with them (trade services for services) until their situation improved and they could resume paying me with money instead of services.

lawnandplow42
04-15-2005, 05:37 PM
i'd give them a free mowing

YardPro
04-15-2005, 08:59 PM
sure.

it can do nothing but good.

i would surely give them a "thank you"

Mo Green
04-15-2005, 09:07 PM
I think it is a good idea. When he get back up on his feet, you will be cutting their lawn again.

1MajorTom
04-15-2005, 09:12 PM
No we would not give a free mowing. But if we liked them a lot, then we would send a simple thank you card thanking them for their business, and ask them to keep us in mind if they ever needed service again.
I see a lot of people say they give away free mowings for this or for that... we give nothing away for free. I'm sure that sounds harsh to some, but "free" doesn't pay our bills.

jim dailey
04-15-2005, 10:34 PM
No we would not give a free mowing. But if we liked them a lot, then we would send a simple thank you card thanking them for their business, and ask them to keep us in mind if they ever needed service again.
I see a lot of people say they give away free mowings for this or for that... we give nothing away for free. I'm sure that sounds harsh to some, but "free" doesn't pay our bills.

WOW, Jodi, you are tough.

tinman
04-15-2005, 10:57 PM
I agree.... The thought of a farewell free mowing might cross my mind...but it would pass when reality set in.....bills, other jobs I could be doing, gas prices. Thank you note would be just as well remembered.

No Free Lunch!!

lawnranger44
04-16-2005, 01:44 AM
I think the gesture would definitely be worth it.

Sure you are giving up a free mowing, but look at it as an investment. You are simply investing $30 in increasing your chances that they will come to you when times improve and ALSO that they will refer you to their friends. I would invest the $30 dollars every time.

Shawns Lawns
04-25-2005, 05:09 PM
i agree i would just send a card if word gets around that you give free mowings with a cancellation you might get alot of cancellations. :waving:

LightningLawns
04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
What if this new business is a lawn business? Then what would you do

Zr2_thunder
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
I would give them a free mowing and a Thank you card, good customer's are hard to find.

spot
04-25-2005, 08:47 PM
i would give them a free mowing. what would you lose? a little time and a little gas. what would you gain? respect for yourself, respect from others. also, in my short life (56 years) i've noticed good deeds are often repaid many times over.

crawdad
04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
i would give them a free mowing. what would you lose? a little time and a little gas. what would you gain? respect for yourself, respect from others. also, in my short life (56 years) i've noticed good deeds are often repaid many times over.
That's the problem with lawn care, the customer thinks that all it costs us is a little time, and a little gas.
Name a product or service that gives you a freebee for cancelling.

Why should we cheapen our service by giving it away to someone who's cancelled? if you must give it away, give it to someone who pays promptly, and/or gets you more lawns.
Crawdad

pagefault
04-25-2005, 09:06 PM
I would make myself available to answer any questions he might have and to help him along with the new business however I could. Maybe he might want a recommendation on an accountant or an attorney or maybe some of the software you use to run your business would be helpful in running his. Whatever you think might help.

If his business does well, you might get the $30 lawn and a nice commercial account out of it. Even if you don't, I think helping him out would be the best way to show your appreciation.

Fritz Creek Lawnboy
04-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I am new here and would like to throw my 2 cents in as well! I think it is a very nice jester. However like every a few said free does not pay the bills.

I think what you have to look at, is in the end; will it come back to you (the free cut). Will the customer return? I know from working in one of the hottest real estate markets in the entire country; where the average home cost starts in the $300,000 range. There are many types of people out there that return favors all the time. That list will include Mortgage lenders, Loan processors, Real estate agents, Real estate Appraisers, Builders, Contractors, etc, etc. Mind you that if this client is in one of these fields, and pursuing branching out on his own then not only would a free cut be a great gift to them but would come back to bless you in many more ways. I have been treated to so many lunches, dinners, night's out on open tabs, Free Real Estate Appraisals when refinancing. No closing cost from loan processors, and lenders. I have been blessed, and have to say that if it makes you feel good to give the gift of a free cut then do it. I think it will come back to you 10 fold. As long as this client paid on time in the 3 years you had them. Did not complain all the time to you and just be a real pain in the Kisser.

Houston's
04-26-2005, 12:53 AM
he will come back to u when he gets more money
so do it :)

Charles
04-26-2005, 08:56 AM
No I wouldn't give them a free cut. If they were such good customers they would give up eating before they gave up you :p I am sure they are not cutting back on other areas they consider important--cable tv, trash pickup, eating out, vacations etc. The lawncare guy always gets the shaft

pagefault
04-26-2005, 12:44 PM
I am sure they are not cutting back on other areas they consider important--cable tv, trash pickup, eating out, vacations etc. The lawncare guy always gets the shaft

When I was getting ready to get started, we paid off credit cards, dropped down to basic cable, canceled all of the premium phone features (caller ID, voicemail, etc), sold the motorcycle, stopped eating out, etc.

Charles
04-26-2005, 03:02 PM
I really dont know what they are doing but most of us have elderly on SS who can afford to have their grass cut.
They didnt do this guy some big favor by letting him cut their grass. He earned his money. As soon as you figure out that you earn and deserve the money you get then you will be up on the game. YOu will realize too when your equipmment falls apart that its not all profit.
I run a business and am not a social worker. Peoples finances are no concern of mine. If they are loyal customers they will call him anyway when they can afford it whether he gives them a freebie or not. YOu are just reducing the value of your services in the customers mind if you discount it and/or give it away imo

betterlawn
04-26-2005, 03:36 PM
Come on, no matter how much I like to make money, I'm fooling myself if I start thinking that my services rank up there with telephone service.

Any yahoo can cut their own yard, the elderly are old, that's why they don't do it. Quite frankly I kind of wonder about some of my 20-60 year old clients that hire me to mow their 1/2 acre yard. $150 at Walmart and you've got a perfectly good home use mower and a little exercise once or twice a week.

Not to talk myself out of work, but I would never hire anyone to clean my house or mow my yard.

Mowing a lawn, no matter how many stripes you leave, is mowing a lawn. The real service is in all the other crap that needs done (trimming, cleanup, edging, etc.). Any 13 year old can mow a lawn - it might just take a little longer with a 14" deck MTD mower.

pagefault
04-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I really dont know what they are doing but most of us have elderly on SS who can afford to have their grass cut.
They didnt do this guy some big favor by letting him cut their grass. He earned his money. As soon as you figure out that you earn and deserve the money you get then you will be up on the game. YOu will realize too when your equipmment falls apart that its not all profit.
I run a business and am not a social worker. Peoples finances are no concern of mine. If they are loyal customers they will call him anyway when they can afford it whether he gives them a freebie or not. YOu are just reducing the value of your services in the customers mind if you discount it and/or give it away imo

You clearly have me confused with someone else. I wasn't offering to discount anything. I know my expenses. I never said anything was all profit. I just asked how you knew they weren't cutting back on anything else.

Take a pill.

Charles
04-26-2005, 04:27 PM
You clearly have me confused with someone else. I wasn't offering to discount anything. I know my expenses. I never said anything was all profit. I just asked how you knew they weren't cutting back on anything else.

Take a pill.

Well then the "You" didn't mean you lol

I dont know and I dont care. I just know I want to get paid for everything I do

pagefault
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
I figured since the post followed mine without quoting another, it was referring to me. My bad.

I agree that I want to get paid. I still think that making yourself available to provide him with general guidance on how to start a business would be far more helpful anyway.

Charles
04-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I agree that I want to get paid. I still think that making yourself available to provide him with general guidance on how to start a business would be far more helpful anyway.

Ya that would be a nice thing to do. Remember when Seinfeld gave that Pakistani business advice on running a restaurant and the restaurant failed? lol The Pakistani(Babu) called Jerry a "bad man, a very bad man" :p

pagefault
04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Remember when Seinfeld gave that Pakistani business advice on running a restaurant and the restaurant failed?

I do, indeed. I'd be careful to limit the advice to something I had experience with, like dealing with the Secretary of State and the Comptroller, or finding a good bank or good software. I don't think I'd tell him what kind of food to serve.

Of course, I have to wonder who would open a business and let one know-it-all convince them to change everything less than a month into the whole thing.

nocutting
04-26-2005, 05:02 PM
Hello, If it were me?.....I'd offer the most basic service possible, to see if I could keep them & give them the "Free" service as well!...I've had plenty of customers come back after things got better for them.....Once I gave services "Free" for a season, & when fall came so did there check with a "Bonus" for bein a good guy & friend.......Then again thats me, and I maintain a very close client contact [ I have only 30 or so accounts, no-mowing, no-employees,billing a healthy 6 digits a year] :cool2: