PDA

View Full Version : Fagus sylvatica 'Dawycki Purple'

kev-lawn
04-15-2005, 12:08 AM
Hello, I am wondering if someone experienced with a Fagus sylvatica 'Dawycki Purple' could help me out? I want to plant one in a bed along an eastern facing wall of a building. The bed is 7' deep(from the wall to sidewalk). Would this tree's root system have enough room? Also, would the roots ever cause damage to building's foundation or to sidewalk? One more thing, how tempermental are these particular trees?
I appreciate any info you can give me!
thanks. :)

Garth
04-15-2005, 12:20 AM
They have shallow, but wide root systems. They also prefer moist, well-drained, acidic soil but not excessively wet soil. European beeches also look gorgeous in the fall. Slow growth to about 60 feet tall. They will eventually cause damage to foundations and sidewalks. You may want to put a bit of PVC in the hole and fill it with gravel then water into the pipe so the roots will chase the water instead of going for the surface sprinkler water. Commercial root barriers are also available.

kev-lawn
04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
thanks for your info Garth.
What other trees could you recomend to fill this space, that won't eventually cause any damage? Preferably a tree that gets around 20-25' tall and stays relatively narrow(6-12' spread).
any info would be great!

Garth
04-16-2005, 02:32 PM
What zone are you in? And what's you rainfall average? Do you want evergreen or something with alot of colour?

kev-lawn
04-16-2005, 04:07 PM
zone 5/6 (metro detroit area
would prefer deciduous with nice fall color, but am considering everything.
there is also an irrigation system, so rain can be made. Thanks!

hoyboy
04-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I personally don't care what those trees do in their own closet, but I just don't agree that they should be allowed to marry.

Garth
04-18-2005, 02:40 AM
Cornus kousa- Chinese dogwood, 20' tall 18' wide but can be trimmed for more compact growth
Lagerstroemia indica- Crape myrtle, 25' tall 15' wide, does very well in hot, humid areas.
Acer palmatum- Japanese maple, 15-20' tall. Bloodgood, Verdis and several other cultivars are among the most highly sought after landscape trees because of the colourful leaves they produce.

kev-lawn
04-18-2005, 08:41 PM
thanks for the help garth!

kev-lawn
04-20-2005, 01:23 AM
Still not quite what I am looking for. Was wondering if there are any more suggestions for some narrow, upright trees.(i guess weeping would be o.k. too) would like the tree to be somewhere between 15' and 25' max. height.
thanks again for any help. I have been looking on line also, but I can't seem to find the right tree.

Garth
04-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Betula pendulas are within your parameters, also check out Gleditsia, and Cupaniopsis. Stay away from Salix. The roots chase water and will run like fury through anything to get it.

kev-lawn
04-30-2005, 02:15 AM
I have seen a lot of bradford pears 'chanticleer' in some very confined areas lately, would that be an o.k. choice? Remember, I am concerned with long term effects on foundation of building and sidewalks. :)

Garth
05-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Pyrus bradfordii is an excellent choice. So is Prunus. The Krater's Vesuvius flowering plum has the red-purple leaves and in winter has an attractive form. The leaves contrast nicely with the yellow Hemerocalis daylilies or even the bright green Buxus microphylla japonica "Winter gem" Japanese boxwood.

kev-lawn
05-22-2005, 05:54 PM
I haven't checked in for a while, but thanks for all the info, Garth.
:)